• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tips on vehicle window perf install

Redline Signs

hello all-
need some advise on vehicle window perf. i installed window perf with lam. on a mini-van side back windows about 4 months ago. customer came in to show me that its peeling around the edges pretty bad. i installed it dry with a quarter inch away from the window edge. cleaned the windows as we always do. i don't do much of this--did i miss something?
thanks--:thankyou::U Rock:

Kwiksigns

wookie
Good to put a small strip of laminate over the edges to keep them down, which is why you trimmed away from the edge. That would have helped

drive

We use Frog Juice / liquid lam. instead of film laminate. It gives the vehicle operator better visibility. And as Kwiksigns said, trim the perf maybe 1/4" from the edge and 'seal' it with a strip of film laminiate.

J Hill Designs

drive - you prefer liquid over sheet laminate? what happens to the liquid that gets in the holes? I was under the impression that the liquid would bridge some and leave some open...? does it dry? I guess I will be doing a test here soon heh

let me know.

and, oh yeah, sorry...:thread

drive

drive - you prefer liquid over sheet laminate? what happens to the liquid that gets in the holes? I was under the impression that the liquid would bridge some and leave some open...? does it dry? I guess I will be doing a test here soon heh

let me know.

and, oh yeah, sorry...:thread

We spray it on with a gun mimicking an aerosol pattern. Applying a light coat. Most often we use Frog Juice though. No setup and preparation time. Just shake and spray! :)

AUTO-FX

i just decided to go this route too. frog juiced while still on backing paper- not after installation. much better visibility for driver- a good trade off ? a little less durability, but the perf itself isnt a longterm solution to begin with, right?

drive

i just decided to go this route too. frog juiced while still on backing paper- not after installation. much better visibility for driver- a good trade off ? a little less durability, but the perf itself isnt a longterm solution to begin with, right?

Yes. applied before installation. As for durability, this method has proven to be more durable than film laminate on perf for us. We've had a couple customer complaints about the lack of visibility when film laminated too.
But do trim about 1/4" away from the window edges and apply some film laminate (or black vinyl) to 'seal' the edges.

MikePro

ask them about the visibility when its raining or dirt collects in the perforations...

sheet lamination, for the win
if its a small window, I apply the perf.>trim back 1/4">laminate on the window>trim to edge.
large windows, I laminate the roll, apply to window, trim <1/4" back, and use lamination tape to seal the edges.

MikePro

hello all-
need some advise on vehicle window perf. i installed window perf with lam. on a mini-van side back windows about 4 months ago. customer came in to show me that its peeling around the edges pretty bad. i installed it dry with a quarter inch away from the window edge. cleaned the windows as we always do. i don't do much of this--did i miss something?
thanks--:thankyou::U Rock:
its no surprise they're peeling... as people don't tend to know how to be gentle when cleaning their own vinyl graphics.
in regards to fixing your problem, i'd trim back <1/8" to cut away the "dead" vinyl and seal the edges with black/white/clear/whatever vinyl strips.

showcase 66

I have used frog juice in the past with no real problems. I have not had anybody come back with edges curling or lifting either. All the way to the edge of the glass but I do trim the edges at an angle. Never sealed the edges either on a vehicle. On a store front I have but not on a vehicle.

WrapperX

I rarely inset my window perf when installing. I usually apply right to the window edge and cut it along the glass line or the rubber seal line depending on whats there. What we have found to be sucessful is to use Primer 94 along the window edges. Use a small brush and run it around the outter edges of the window. Apply dry and there you go. Haven't had a problem yet. ONE huge thing though is if there is residual moisture under the rubber seals. If there is moisture there it will creep out and under your perf every time. So you gotta make sure the vehicle is COMPLETELY dry even in those hard to reach places. Other then then the Primer 94 works great.

Oh and Sheet lam for sure. Visiblility by liquid lam is useless if the holes that the driver sees through get clogged with dirt, rain, etc. Seems like a no brainer to me.

petepaz

had that same thing happen to me so one side i had to completely replace and made sure i sealed the edges as stated above used the 3m edge sealer and the other side i was able to save and i took a 1/4" (approx) thick strip of 3m adhesive and put it on the edge of the window and that did the trick (hardly even noticeable)

J

john1

How are you guys putting on the lam strips? I mean the bottom would be easy but the sides and top curve on alot of vehicles

MikePro

i LIKE this idea - that's good Mike.
You premask it? Guess you'd have to, huh?

Ya, I only premask unlaminated perf. because I don't like scratching ink during install or having to pick bits of paper towel out of the holes before lamination

Graphicdetailsinc

What materials are you using? We Lam with 290G optically clear. Never had any visibility complaints, and it definitely out preforms liquid lam in covering the holes to protect from dust and rain.

MikePro

How are you guys putting on the lam strips? I mean the bottom would be easy but the sides and top curve on alot of vehicles
Cast laminate/clear vinyl, cut @ .25"(although we have tape rolls of it)
With a little heat and finesse, you can work curves no problem