• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

To distress / artificially age or not ???

Jillbeans

I'd leave it be.
But if you do age it, look at some of Mark Fair's work, he ages things really well. Also David Kynaston from the UK.
Love....Jill

Joe Diaz

I'd leave it be, but then try to sell them a second distressed one too. LOL Looks great btw.

Edit: Oops I just reread that this is for you. Why not make two then. A good sample of before and after.

Joe Diaz

Oh also... something to consider: Where's it being installed? What's the surroundings like. That might play a huge role on what decision you should make. If the buildings nearby or the fence looks brand new, a distressed sign may not fit... or visa-versa.

SignosaurusRex

Oh also... something to consider: Where's it being installed? What's the surroundings like. That might play a huge role on what decision you should make. If the buildings nearby or the fence looks brand new, a distressed sign may not fit... or visa-versa.

As I mentioned in my original post, It's a piece just for fun to hang on the fence behind my garden.
Plain 6' tall Cedar fence.

SignManiac

Sweet piece! I'm feeling inspired to dig out my old brushes and make a few nice samples for the showroom! Thanks for the nudge.

SignosaurusRex

Is this the one you went into a 13 hour sign coma on?
:smile:
I envy you.

No, the 13 hr coma involved two other signs. 1 3'x5' and a 5'x24' (eyes crossed)
I stretched this one out over a number of days. It originally started out that it was going to be a more simple piece but it gets real hard to leave well enough alone:rolleyes:

Billct2

Problem with a lot of the ageing effects is they make the sign finish weaker, so they're fine for interior signs, but reduce the life of exterior signs. When I've done exterior antiqued pieces I age them with paint & glazes so they will hold up better.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hey S'Rex..............

Why don't you just mount the sign and you and Tweety just shoot some 410's at it from 75 feet. That'll distress it. Use the new ones with like three slugs in it, instead of shot. :Big Laugh

SignosaurusRex

Hey S'Rex..............

Why don't you just mount the sign and you and Tweety just shoot some 410's at it from 75 feet. That'll distress it. Use the new ones with like three slugs in it, instead of shot. :Big Laugh

The problem with that Idea is that like swinging the brush, once I get started shooting, I don't want to stop. :omg:
I'm thinking now is a real good time to leave well enough alone, hang it and watch it age gracefully.
Back to the drawing board for another sign that I will definitely experiment on with the aging techniques.