• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

To meat or not to meat, that is the question.

WildWestDesigns

Avoid trans fats, hydrogenated oil, sulfides, corn syrup, GMO's, and sodium.

Salt is actually needed. More so, if you are an active person as that is lost during sweat. Some salt is lost during elimination as well. You do not want to lose minerals and not replace them. This actually is one of the key components to water "intoxicity" in athletes as minerals aren't replaced when they drink tons and tons of water (water dilutes what minerals they do have and they get dangerously low, particularly sodium). I might add that this instance of water "intoxicity" is with good clean water.

Avoiding it entirely is not the answer. Now, some people put waaaaaaaayyyyyyyy too much on their foods and I'm not advocating that as well, but it is needed. The question becomes, how much?

player

Salt is actually needed. More so, if you are an active person as that is lost during sweat. Some salt is lost during elimination as well. You do not want to lose minerals and not replace them. This actually is one of the key components to water "intoxicity" in athletes as minerals aren't replaced when they drink tons and tons of water (water dilutes what minerals they do have and they get dangerously low, particularly sodium). I might add that this instance of water "intoxicity" is with good clean water.

Avoiding it entirely is not the answer. Now, some people put waaaaaaaayyyyyyyy too much on their foods and I'm not advocating that as well, but it is needed. The question becomes, how much?

Of course you need salt.

But there are close to 1000mg in one McDonalds burger. The daily recommended intake is between 1200mg and 1500mg depending on age. So a single Medee's meal with fries will put you over the daily recommended intake. Most packaged and commercial foods are loaded with salt. So it is very difficult to avoid going over. There was a study done up here in Canada where they had lots of people from different walks of life collect all their urine for a month and send it off to be analyzed and most were in the 3000mg to 4500mg per day range including health nuts.

WildWestDesigns

Of course you need salt.

You had originally said "avoid sodium" (among other things). That's why I had said what I did.

But there are close to 1000mg in one McDonalds burger. The daily recommended intake is between 1200mg and 1500mg depending on age. So a single Medee's meal with fries will put you over the daily recommended intake. Most packaged and commercial foods are loaded with salt. So it is very difficult to avoid going over. There was a study done up here in Canada where they had lots of people from different walks of life collect all their urine for a month and send it off to be analyzed and most were in the 3000mg to 4500mg per day range including health nuts.

Simple, don't eat at McDonalds (I haven't eaten there since I was 9, so it's not that hard).

Again, it's about making smart choice. Unfortunately, they also coincide with more expensive choices. It's not cheap being healthy, but in the end, you hope that it avoids an expensive illness.

player

You had originally said "avoid sodium" (among other things). That's why I had said what I did.

Simple, don't eat at McDonalds (I haven't eaten there since I was 9, so it's not that hard).

Again, it's about making smart choice. Unfortunately, they also coincide with more expensive choices. It's not cheap being healthy, but in the end, you hope that it avoids an expensive illness.

Avoid sodium. That is something not easily done. It's not just McDonald's. It's over abundant in pretty much everything at the grocery store (not natural veggies etc.) and restaurants. Cereals, breads, soups, packages and prepared foods- all way over the top.

The study I mentioned tested people who were aware of salt, avoided it and they were surprised they were eating double and triple the recommended daily intake.

WildWestDesigns

Avoid sodium. That is something not easily done.

Something isn't quite right here. YOU said "avoid sodium", I did not. We need sodium (the most common form being table salt). I said avoid McDonalds.

What you want to do is limit your intake of sodium/table salt. That's the key thing, not avoiding.

It would be impossible to avoid, even if you ate fruits and veggies from your garden. They contain sodium. You can't avoid it. Just like we can't avoid trace amount of things that in over abundance are obviously lethal to us.

It's not just McDonald's. It's over abundant in pretty much everything at the grocery store (not natural veggies etc.) and restaurants. Cereals, breads, soups, packages and prepared foods- all way over the top.

Simple. avoid the process stuff. I'm not saying avoid sodium. You can't. Even in fruits/veggies, you'll get it in trace amounts. No way to avoid it at all. You shouldn't.

You just have to remember, if you are getting it form natural sources to make sure not to over indulge from other sources where you can get it in bulk. That's the key thing. Probably, most people don't think of fruits and veggies as carrying things like zinc or sodium in them (albeit trace amounts).

The study I mentioned tested people who were aware of salt, avoided it and they were surprised they were eating double and triple the recommended daily intake.

Without knowing what they ate or how the test was being conducted, it may not have been a surprise at all. You can't avoid sodium/salt period, it all It gets absorbed into everything. If they thought that they could avoid it period, no wonder they were surprised at the levels that they had, just on that alone.

I also have to wonder, you said "health nuts", are they just supposedly healthy eaters or did they do heavy exercising as well? That helps dispel salt the most. At least the best way that I would try to dispel salt quickly and in "bulk". But without having a source for that study, it's all hard to say.

Bigcat_hunter

I'm a "dumb, white, redneck American". I eat meat, drink beer and speak english and am quite happy. I don't eat factory meat though.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
As mentioned, moderation is the key and most of the various health warnings we hear amount to little more than generalized "best practices" and have little to no validity in specific recommendations for individuals. What one must take into account is that most of these warnings and recommendations are based on a statistical variation in a group of individuals tested or interviewed.

Throwing out numbers arbitrarily ... if 10% of the population will experience a heart attack in their lifetimes and a group taking in double the recommended amount of salt will have 20% experience a heart attack, then we can say to a certainty that too much salt (or red meat, or nicotine, or alcohol, or name your poison) CAN have a negative effect on your health. We can say that it doubles your risk of a heart attack or we can say that it increases your risk by 10%. What we shouldn't say or imply is that, if you ignore the warning, you're going to have a heart attack. That is something that only a physician should ever say and then only after a comprehensive examination of current condition, medical history and genetic disposition. Otherwise, each individual should also know and understand that there is an 80% chance (using our arbitrary numbers) that they will never suffer a heart attack regardless of their behavior.

What is, however, never discussed, measured, studied or tested is the effect of these warnings on the population at large. If we hear often enough that "too much salt will give you a heart attack" so that we come to believe it, then will that belief, that power of suggestion, increase our risk of a heart attack? One could argue that what we believe will kill us is what will kill us. If, in fact, such an argument was shown to be valid with some individuals, then those who issue such opinions bear some responsibility in the unintended collateral damage.

d fleming

My youngest went vegan for a year. Interesting to see her do it. She eats meat now. Meat from my cattle and most produce from my property. Can't have everything all the time so we still get quite a bit from store. But fish mostly comes from a family member who is merchant marine. Mostly mahi and wahoo. Good stuff. Have a friend who is commercial shrimper so we get a lot from him as well. Eggs from our chickens but I do buy poultry from the store. You can only do so much. Not for everyone but it's how we were brought up. I can't remember getting too much from a grocery store when I was a child. Seemed everyone raised some kind of produce and we all swapped with each other to get the variety.

OldPaint

SALT....... we are made of it.........lack of salt will do more damage then having to much. anyone was in the military? basic training we had to take salt tablets every day))) next time you cut your self.........put a drop of blood on your tunge YOU ARE SALTY)))) if you use the same idea of getting to much salt to protien......then you need ot understand that 10 oz steak you just ate...........only 60 grams will be used by the body.........the rest is crap.........literally))))))

player

Too much salt causes hypertension and stroke. At your age Ol' Paint you should be in-taking no more than 1200 mg per day.

I don't understand why you guys are saying there is no problems with too much salt. I have read about it. It is documented. So this is my last time on this. Enjoy your salt.

OldPaint

While salt-induced hypertension is typically blamed as a cause of heart disease, a low salt intake is associated with higher mortality from cardiovascular events. A 2011 study in the Journal of the American Medical Association demonstrates a low-salt zone where stroke, heart attack and death are more likely.
Low salt diets contribute to an increase in hormones and lipids in the blood. A 2012 study in the American Journal of Hypertension found that people on low-salt diets developed higher plasma levels of renin, cholesterol, and triglycerides. (5) The authors concluded that the slight reduction in blood pressure was overshadowed by these antagonistic effects, and that sodium restriction may have net negative effects at a population level.

Vinyldog

go to the meating

Wait until you guys get my age. You'll be happy to eat anything that doesn't give you heartburn, indigestion and gas.

player

While salt-induced hypertension is typically blamed as a cause of heart disease, a low salt intake is associated with higher mortality from cardiovascular events. A 2011 study in the Journal of the American Medical Association demonstrates a low-salt zone where stroke, heart attack and death are more likely.
Low salt diets contribute to an increase in hormones and lipids in the blood. A 2012 study in the American Journal of Hypertension found that people on low-salt diets developed higher plasma levels of renin, cholesterol, and triglycerides. (5) The authors concluded that the slight reduction in blood pressure was overshadowed by these antagonistic effects, and that sodium restriction may have net negative effects at a population level.

You are confusing low salt with daily recommended intake.

OldPaint

duh...................................and your making it as we eat more then daily requirement.......WHICH MOST DO...same as most meat eaters ......intake way to much protein(10 to 100 times the daily required amount)EVERY DAY. like i said WE NEED SALT...... to much you got a problem, but NOT ENOUGH, will cause more problems. that what i posted.
i have been in the hospital(low sodium meals)and these were TOO SALTY to my taste)))) its like those of you who injest 4-8 COKES/PEPESI/MOUNTAIN DEW.......... a day............oh iam sorry your doing the DIET version???? DIET SODA has 75 mg of SALT!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. thats a joke............on you.
a regular soft drink any of them, I CANT DRINK EM............so much sugar my tongue stick to the roof of my mouth!!!!!!!
i love carbonated water, with a little flavor, lime, lemon, raspberry.........NO SUGAR...... at home i have a SODA STREAM.
i buy root beer flavoring, the wife melts some sugar/water and add the root beer........i add this to the carbonated water.........so much better for ya. oh and mine has no SALT))))

TimToad

While I agree with everyone on the taking everything in moderation, the crux of the issue of why I started the thread to begin with is is that we as a society for the most part in the U.S. don't take things in moderation and the consequences are evident anywhere people are willing to drop their politically motivated denial and bias to honestly look at things.

The combination of our high cost health insurance system and medium to poor quality outcomes along with poor diet, sedentary lifestyles and an increasingly polluted environment makes for a bad combination in the long run.

The cultivation and distribution of organic fruits and vegetables is exploding and the markets for all "eco-friendly" or "green" products is growing at rates far above conventional "dirty" products, so it appears we can do better if there is the will to do so.

player

duh...................................and your making it as we eat more then daily requirement.......WHICH MOST DO...same as most meat eaters ......intake way to much protein(10 to 100 times the daily required amount)EVERY DAY. like i said WE NEED SALT...... to much you got a problem, but NOT ENOUGH, will cause more problems. that what i posted.
i have been in the hospital(low sodium meals)and these were TOO SALTY to my taste)))) its like those of you who injest 4-8 COKES/PEPESI/MOUNTAIN DEW.......... a day............oh iam sorry your doing the DIET version???? DIET SODA has 75 mg of SALT!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. thats a joke............on you.
a regular soft drink any of them, I CANT DRINK EM............so much sugar my tongue stick to the roof of my mouth!!!!!!!
i love carbonated water, with a little flavor, lime, lemon, raspberry.........NO SUGAR...... at home i have a SODA STREAM.
i buy root beer flavoring, the wife melts some sugar/water and add the root beer........i add this to the carbonated water.........so much better for ya. oh and mine has no SALT))))

I'm glad you agree with me.

decalman

The weak were always gatherers, the strong went after the protein.
Theres protein in almost everything that grows.
Who in America, dies of lack of protein?
More people die of protein overdose, than lack thereof.

To much protein greatly taxes the kidneys, which is responsible for many deaths.

The only thing Vegetarians lack is B12, but we don't need a lot of b12
The list of vitamins that meat eaters are lacking, will fill up a whole sheet of paper

decalman

You can't eat wood !

All I said, on the other post was. " that slice of pizza, looks good enough to eat, but I'm a vegan "

For one thing, nobody can eat that pizza, because its wood.

Then some hillbilly fellow named bob, who I have absolutely zero respect for ( unless he apologizes)
directs an uncalled, unprovoked attack at me, which apparently stimulated his lower based animal passions.

Now everybody is talking about food and health. How wonderful is that?
Glory to God.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
...Then some hillbilly fellow named bob, who I have absolutely zero respect for ( unless he apologizes)
directs an uncalled, unprovoked attack at me, which apparently stimulated his lower based animal passions...

'Hillbilly'? Now that's interesting. What does that even mean? Is this some epithet that you and your fellow tribesmen hurl back and forth while you're out pointing at the sun?

Perhaps in your village simply pointing out that you indulge your dietary perversity at the sufferance of others, that you can because the rest of this civilization is willing to tolerate it, is something for which you apologize. Unfortunately for you, not so much in these precincts.