• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

told a supplier to gfy this morning!!!!

gabagoo

So I call my regular aluminum blank supplier (YMS) this morning to order 20 pieces of 12" x 24" 051 aluminum and as usual the woman on the order desk is her usual unfriendly self (they seem to hire foreigners with no personalty). I tell her that I need to order 20 pieces of 051 aluminum 12" x 24" and I added to the end of my sentence that I needed it in inches and not metric. I said this as in the past when I have ordered aluminum blanks by imperial that when I picked them up and brought them back they were not correct and anything with pre made borders just wont fit properly. When I called them about it I was told that this size was in metric so tough for me. In any case I was just making sure that she knew that metric was not an option. So anyways she snaps back at me "did I say I was going to cut them in metric?" I paused ( I am very friendly with all my suppliers but I really do not like this paticular one) I thought about her attitiude and basically told her to GFY and hung up.
Now If I called the owner and made a stink she would probably be out of a job. I won't do that but thats the last time I am dealing with them and will source out to people who are friendly and dont snap at customers over something that is a legitamte concern.

rant of the day....and pretty early too

i would talk to the owner. as a customer (most of the time) there is no excuse for having to put up with atti2de when you are spending money with a company...no thank you.

astro8

You can also look at it this way...if you inform the owner, she may be out of a job...but if you don't, he may be out of a business.

JimJenson

It doesn't matter if they "cut" them metric or inch, providing they "measure" either 12 x 24 inches -or- 304.8 x 609.8 mm.

Steve Werner

I had to think about this for a couple of minutes. While I appreciate the fact that you're trying to be mindful of your suppliers employee I don't think you should keep quiet. Most companies lose business and never know why and the owner of that company should know because he or she is probably going to lose more customers as a result of this csr's attitude. This could be a great learning experience for that csr's, a chance to improve if handled correctly. Just be matter of fact and unemotional with the owner of the business.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
i had some trouble with fellers once. i found franks email address and sent him a note. you wouldn't believe how fast my situation was resolved.....

royster13

If there is a chance of an error in measurement, why not fax or email the order in....While I love to talk on telephone, it is the least efficient way to order stuff.....

mark in tx

Call, and apologize for losing your temper first, but then explain the situation.
She probably won't get fired, just a little more training.

Billct2

I understand you frustration, especially when you don't feel valued as a customer, and were only trying to avoid a problem...but I would try to handle it different.
I try not to close any doors. Never know when you may need something. I've had problems with some suppliers and stopped ordering, poltitely declining to order anything when contacted. But I have always left the door open and it comes in handy when my regulars are out of stock, or don't carry a particular product.
Instead I would contact the owner and explain your problem. Of course it may also require an apology...
Isn't this what we would want our customers to do?

Marlene

I never call in an order for anything. I have a PO form in Publisher that I write with all the details for the order. it is a big help as everything is in writting and I can add extra details if needed. try doing something like that when ordering from this supplier. you can add "must be cut to exactly 12" x 24", no meteric measurements apply" or something like that. then if they mess it up, the order doesn't match to PO so too bad for them, not you.

you should call the supplier, explain what happened and let them know that your future orders will be by written PO which you feel will solve the problems that you have had in the past.

gabagoo

It doesn't matter if they "cut" them metric or inch, providing they "measure" either 12 x 24 inches -or- 304.8 x 609.8 mm.

not so.... you would think that but with a lot of their custom cut sizes they have them pre cut in metric which is slightly off from imperial. They don't bother telling you that over the phone though until it is to late, and thats why I requested it that way.

gabagoo

I had to think about this for a couple of minutes. While I appreciate the fact that you're trying to be mindful of your suppliers employee I don't think you should keep quiet. Most companies lose business and never know why and the owner of that company should know because he or she is probably going to lose more customers as a result of this csr's attitude. This could be a great learning experience for that csr's, a chance to improve if handled correctly. Just be matter of fact and unemotional with the owner of the business.

Normally I would agree with you on this but there is no love lost with these guys. They hire people probably for the absolute lowest wage they can get away with and the old saying you get what you pay for is true. The turnover there is pretty high and for obvious reasons. The owner knows what he has...it's always been that way but today I decided to fight back. I'm not going back as there are plenty of others who provide their products

Gino

Premium Subscriber
ahhhh YMS, i can never understand a word they are saying.

you know exactly how they are too....good. I called pro veer and they have the aluminum and they have rounded corners for less than YMS.

Must be a Canadian thing.......... LOL

I'd drop them a line, tell them what happened and that you know they are losing customers due to her inability to communicate and now that you were forced to go elsewhere.... their pricing. :wink: