• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Took the plunge...Wish me luck!!!

signguytom

Sign guy is right, also be sure and always keep 220ml "cleaning carts" in the fourth head slots, that way if you want to sell the printer, or switch to cmykx2 your head won't be dried out.

Signguy I go through Lc and Lm less often than the other carts (im on 6 color bulk inks) would this be a profile issue?

Yes, it is absolutely a profile issue. I was told a long time ago that when you are going through the light inks 2:1 or so, it was a good sign that your media profile was pretty dialed-in. I create all of my own profiles, as I have not had much luck with the downloadable ones from the various manufacturers.

thewood

Yes, it is absolutely a profile issue. I was told a long time ago that when you are going through the light inks 2:1 or so, it was a good sign that your media profile was pretty dialed-in.

Says who? What imperical evidence makes this "absoloutely" a profile issue? My ink usage varies from color to color depending on, amongst other things, what I'm printing. Typically, though, I go through the light colors a bit slower than the others. I've been running this printer over 3 years with a bulk 6-color system.

signguytom

Says who? What imperical evidence makes this "absoloutely" a profile issue? My ink usage varies from color to color depending on, amongst other things, what I'm printing. Typically, though, I go through the light colors a bit slower than the others. I've been running this printer over 3 years with a bulk 6-color system.

If you are happy with your results, then that's what's important. You just may be using more ink than you need. When your ink restrictions and ink limits are optimumly set, you should be using more of your light inks than the others when using OEM inks. It could also be that your transition factors are set too low and you light inks are not kicking in soon enough.

The Cyan in the SS2 inkset has by far the highest density, so if your Cyan isn't the least frequently changed cartridge, then it would probably be a good idea to take a look at your ink restrictions.

From most used to least, my ink usage is, on average this:

lm - 3.0 cartridges
lc - 2.5 cartridges
M - 2.0 cartridges
Y - 1.5 cartridges
K - 1.5 cartridges
C - 1.0 cartridge
All bets are off, though, when you are using 3rd party inks, but I had similar results with the Bordeaux inks a couple years ago.

ColesCreations

Congrats to you, and to us also:)

Bought brand new JV3-160SP with 6 color + white- tested it at the seller's place, got training on it, now waiting to get it into our shop!

PS- The white print is amazing! Now we have a Summa DC1 for sale...

And- Yes, they had to flush it again first, as 3-4 days shipping is expected:-(

eforer

Post some pics of some of the work with white ink. I've been thinking about getting a second printer for that purpose (or getting a UV machine). Congratulations and good luck! I love my Mimaki, and have never regretted getting it over some of the lower cost machines that also start with "M" ;)

Urban Image

Running a JV3 and a VersaCamm side by side is a good laugh. Your competition will find themselves severely outclassed especially with the six color setup. Also, though a lot of salespeople will push the JV4 or even the JV5, I always recommend the JV3. Much better machine, in my opinion. Maintenance is a bitch but it's still a good printer. The JV3 is actually my 2nd favorite machine to have ever tested/used/played-with.

MobileImpact

If you're gonna go 6 color, then why not get the S (rather than the SP)?

Because they no longer offer it. The S models were three years ago. The new SP models allow multiple ink configs, making the s models obsolete. The S is still a great machine, you can just config the sp models like it.

mbarden

Use Royal Sov heat assit, get very little "silvering" with the heat. Takes a while to master changing laminates out but I really like it.
Mike B
Big River Sign Co.

petepaz

best of luck
we went the roland route but only because of the printer and cutter in one unit
we bought the sp300 and in 6 months time bought the vp540
and as far as the heat assist we have that not sure if it makes a difference or not, i don't think it hurts
digital gives you so many more options
and i think (not posetive) that that machine can also print white

eforer

Use Royal Sov heat assit, get very little "silvering" with the heat. Takes a while to master changing laminates out but I really like it.
Mike B
Big River Sign Co.

I've never liked using heat assist and generally never felt it necessary. Heat assist is really for things like polyester laminate. My feeling is that heat is generally a band-aid fix for a tension/pressure problem. That said, there are alot of knowledgeable people who feel that heat assist can be helpful even when using cold laminates. So there is certainly no empirical right or wrong.