• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

tools for the trade

mrvixx

What other tools besides your vinyl application supplies do you carry to an install sight? I will be doing just vinyl but i dont know if my Dewalt 18v set will be all I need. What about ladders?

WVB

I always have an idea of the site before I go. This way I do not bring extra things that are not needed. I never leave without my Bosch PowerBox though =)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I hope you have a few extra batteries.

Take everything you can think of, and then if you don't need it, don't take it out of the truck at the site.

When you come back.... make a note of every tool you used and start a 'check list'. Eventually, you'll have a list for the different kinds of jobs you do and get an extra of every one of those tools and keep them on your truck all the time.

You'll need all kinds of fasteners, screw drivers, saws, washers, levels, hammers, persuaders, knives, application tape, paint, oil, weed whackers, cement, water, shovels, paper towels, snot rags, money, razors, squeegees, pencils, gas card, tape, shrimp and keys to the truck.

As far as ladders... only if you’re going to be more than 6" off the ground. You don't want to be jumping to torque that top screw into the sign.... actually, I think that call is safe for you to figure out on your own.

Good Luck……….. and don’t forget a ruler !!

MVIP

Depending on the neighborhood. Your gun. lol just kidding!

Never fails you'll always need what you didn't bring.

THATgirl

hahaha imaSIGNr and Matt lol!
I have to have 2 of everything being the scatterbrain I am. So in my truck I have a carpenters bag of exactos, squirter bottles, rags, squeegies, tape, tape measures and levels. And the same thing in my car. OH and a small ladder in each too plus an invoice book so they can pay me on the spot. :O)

the only thing I don't take is my power drills etc as the batteries always seem to run out unless I charge them right before I go. I don't always need them anyway.

Last edited:

petepaz

i have every small tool i own in my truck and depending on the job
i put ladders, generator, compressor
about a year ago i got ont of those little giant ladders(gorilla brand actually, it was $100.00 cheaper) but it paid for it self 10 times over i got it with the plank for to make the scaffolding (great for box trucks)

petepaz

oh and the 12 pack can't hurt
make sure you have one of those fancy koozies like they use for fishing

Craig Sjoquist

as far as ladders go I have DOUBLE SIDED ladders 2 - 2 foot n 1 - 4 foot my next buy will be a 6 foot double sided like to get a 10 footer also lol wishes...anyway the double sided are very safe cause your on 4 strong feet not 2 n 2 weak ones like a single sided plus when using planks 2x8x8 or 10 with the 3 ladders I cover average distance n heights since windows mostly here are mostly in that range, the 2 footers are used alot in other work so is the the 4 foot, plus you get a extra foot the top step is safe to stand on n use, they both work great over bushes etc. also
Now I just bought a van was using a small truck, with the truck I only carryed what was needed filled n empty every day, forgot plenty times this n that....now with the van I'll be able to fill with tools n supplys I use most of the time ......the 1st job is a 2nd floor to place 4x8s under then the compartments for the rest as needed, since I'll go after 3 prime areas of work I'll do my best to keep it simple, I've had vans before and it's nice to know you have it with ya...
thank you n enjoy life