• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Total Newb needing help

vandavall

I gave my wife a family picture printed on canvas for Christmas and she loved it, and I got to thinking I could do that.
So I bought a printer, Mutoh VJ1204 and Flexisign 8.1 v1. Now I am trying to duplicate the quality that was printed for me off the same printer. Are there any certain profiles I could try that are good on canvas, is there anything I should double check in Flexi. The printer printed a nice pic before the purchase so I'm pretty sure it is in the setup of Flexi.
Thanks in advance.
Dave

TDFcustomSL

Yes, it will more than likely all be in your profiles. Curious tho, did you just have extra money laying around and decide to buy a printer because you liked the way the canvas looked? Or are you in the sign business? I mean this is your first post...

ChicagoGraphics

I would be asking myself first before going out and buying a solvent printer, are you sure the print you bought didn't come off a water base inkjet printer? You know the type of printer that is ment for canvas??

vandavall

Yes, it will more than likely all be in your profiles. Curious tho, did you just have extra money laying around and decide to buy a printer because you liked the way the canvas looked? Or are you in the sign business? I mean this is your first post...

It seemed like it could be a lucrative "hobby' that could hopefully turn into a business. Seeing all that this guy I bought the print from does with his printer and other equipment was impressive, banners, wraps etc.

Techman

It seemed like it could be a lucrative "hobby' that could hopefully turn into a business. Seeing all that this guy I bought the print from does with his printer and other equipment was impressive, banners, wraps etc.

Oh?? So you saw someone using this equipment to print something you liked ..,, and decided to copy his set up.. And now you want to turn it into a "lucrative" hobby even though you have no idea how to set up your tackle? Are you for real doing this????? :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

vandavall

Oh?? So you saw someone using this equipment to print something you liked ..,, and decided to copy his set up.. And now you want to turn it into a "lucrative" hobby even though you have no idea how to set up your tackle? Are you for real doing this????? :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Yes, other than not knowing what I'm doing, is that a problem learning something new?

Billct2

You might find some of the members here less than enthusiastic about a hobbiest wanting their help to further erode the sign (and print) business that we value very highly.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Like what was said, sounds like a profile issue...

If you are just printing "prints", should be a no brainer.

If you have to design... well, that's where your shortcomings
will show. It's not like slapping things on the screen and
pressing print.

I'm not a bad designer and would not get a printer unless it
was paid for by one job , there's not a huge incentive to get
one when I can get prints for 2.50 a square foot down the
street.

Good Luck...

Kottwitz-Graphics

I gotta say we are looking at this wrong. The op is smart enough to see something that he likes and then go onto a website where he can create an anonymous name and get all the info he needs to start a "hobby" that he can start making money. I would assume the op wants to do it either becasuse 1) he thinks he got over charged. 2) it looks so easy, just like printing money. And besides, he is smart enough not to walk in to the shop and tell the owner "hey,i like your set up. What exactly do you have, equipment wise, and while your at it, how do you run it, where do you buy the supplies, and how much should I charge to take all your cheap skate customers that will jump ship at price alone. Then when I figure out that its not as easy as it looks, I'll sell all the equipment that has been abused and all the ink all dried up in it in on craigslist. Meanwhile all your old customers that came to me will come back to you and then want to know why you charge so much, considering the last guy they used was so cheap."

And here we go again...

visual800

First off OP, just because "I like something and it's cool" I dont go out and buy one. But to each his own. I have been in business 25 years and I dont own a printer because there are too many printers printing it cheaper than I can do it for. and I wont have to worry about the issues that I read about with printers.

As far as what you see all this other guy printing you might should have asked is all that printing paying for the printer

bttweb

I have a VJ1204 but I dont use it for canvas printing.. wih just 4 color ink the color gamut is not there
you will need those LC LM LK inks which I have on my HP z6200 also Epson and Canon has those light grays
and Rolands VS and XR/XF

Im sorry that you might have bought the wrong printer.. but its the nature of the technology.. theres not
1 printer that does all job. thats why I outsource some of my jobs.. lets say if the job needs 8 ft wide
outdoor.. I'll send it to a shop with an LX850 and it usually come out really nice.

and by the way.. i started this as a "hobby" business 12 yrs ago..

hope this helps

TDFcustomSL

I too started as a hobby with a Chinese 24 inch vinyl cutter so that I could make some extra cash to help pay my way through college. The hobby turned into a side business. It has grown more than I ever imagined it to (although still very very small). Most everything I do is for a friend or a friend of a friend. I did cut vinyl for 7 years and just last year jumped ship on a VJ1204. Probably not the smartest purchase but had I stayed working at the dealership I was at for my full time job the machine would be paid for. However, I got the opportunity to be part owner of another shop and with my degree in business it seemed like the best route to take. The machine doesn't get used near as much now as It was prior to changing jobs but it still gets used. I have never undercut any other sign shops around here and don't anticipate on it. I have also never taken a customer from another shop, the few times it has happened they have come to me, told me what they were quoted and ill match it. Im not out to step on the toes of people who have been in it for years and who rely on it to provide for their families. There have been several times I have sent work to local shops if I didn't want, or have the time, to do it. People are going to judge you on your thoughts and ideas and work and all that other crap no matter what. I know there are people on this site that will hate all of us that do this on the side, but hopefully there are some that are willing to help and understand where im coming from. I for one have learned a ton on this site and gotten help and advice from several very understanding people. People who once started where I did. If you want to do it as a hobby that's great, however if your serious about it just being a hobby then keep it at that. don't go out and drum up business, don't advertise, etc. you said you bought it for canvas prints...good luck with that but if that was why you originally bought it then stick to canvas. just my opinion and thoughts. feel free to tear me apart because im sure itll happen because of how I started and my lack of experience. But to the ones who understand and have, or will, help me. Thank you

Billct2

I have a good printer for this type of work and looked into doing giclee and canvas prints, but like so many fing parts of this trade the margins aren't there to make it worthwhile for a small shop thanks to large print providers, retailers and yes, hobbiests.

dale911

President
I have a good printer for this type of work and looked into doing giclee and canvas prints, but like so many fing parts of this trade the margins aren't there to make it worthwhile for a small shop thanks to large print providers, retailers and yes, hobbiests.

I'm curious of how you started looking at the margins. I was outsourcing my sign prints and decided to add canvas and bought a L25500. The margins on this are fantastic. I have to source frames out of china to make the frames cheap enough to really make it valuable and I source the canvas from one of the advertising merchants on here. The margins are so good that I am currently building a dedicated canvas printing site right now for to run through groupon and all the other social deal sites. The most expensive part of the canvas prints is my time.

Billct2

I looked at the prices that were available in the open market, mostly online, then at the time and cost involved. Also when it comes to the giclee market I figured in the PITA factor when working with artists. I had an HP5000 then, now a z6100.
I wasn't looking at an ecommerce model, which would be the best way to do it.

vandavall

I too started as a hobby with a Chinese 24 inch vinyl cutter so that I could make some extra cash to help pay my way through college. The hobby turned into a side business. It has grown more than I ever imagined it to (although still very very small). Most everything I do is for a friend or a friend of a friend. I did cut vinyl for 7 years and just last year jumped ship on a VJ1204. Probably not the smartest purchase but had I stayed working at the dealership I was at for my full time job the machine would be paid for. However, I got the opportunity to be part owner of another shop and with my degree in business it seemed like the best route to take. The machine doesn't get used near as much now as It was prior to changing jobs but it still gets used. I have never undercut any other sign shops around here and don't anticipate on it. I have also never taken a customer from another shop, the few times it has happened they have come to me, told me what they were quoted and ill match it. Im not out to step on the toes of people who have been in it for years and who rely on it to provide for their families. There have been several times I have sent work to local shops if I didn't want, or have the time, to do it. People are going to judge you on your thoughts and ideas and work and all that other crap no matter what. I know there are people on this site that will hate all of us that do this on the side, but hopefully there are some that are willing to help and understand where im coming from. I for one have learned a ton on this site and gotten help and advice from several very understanding people. People who once started where I did. If you want to do it as a hobby that's great, however if your serious about it just being a hobby then keep it at that. don't go out and drum up business, don't advertise, etc. you said you bought it for canvas prints...good luck with that but if that was why you originally bought it then stick to canvas. just my opinion and thoughts. feel free to tear me apart because im sure itll happen because of how I started and my lack of experience. But to the ones who understand and have, or will, help me. Thank you

Thank You,
Being new here I'll just leave it at that.