• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Toughie................................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm trying to paint about 625 round cylinders. Each one is 3" in diameter and are 8" tall. They are made of solid wood with a little hole in each end for a rod to go through later on
I was thinking of going to a pawn shop and buying an old LP or 45 record player and putting down some protective sheeting so nothing gets paint on it and ruins it, but just taking the spindle out and replacing it with a rod and set each tube on there and paint it. After they are dry, I hafta put a double pin stripe at each end which I could also put on the phonograph and just hold the brush to it. I'd have 2 speeds..... 78 & 45. One of them should work. I don't have a variable speed lathe or anything.

Anybody have any better ideas ??

signage

You could get a rotisserie for a grill and use it, they are usually variable speed. As a bonus you could cook something to eat in between painting and striping.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Lazy susan, fit an undersized spacer under the cylinders so it won't matter if you have paint build up, and spin and an appropriate speed - spray

MikePro

for painting small cylinders, I'll just string them together with some wire & spacers and hang from the ceiling on my paintbooth.
recordplayer would do the trick, one or a couple at a time, but painting a LOT of them would become tedious.

visual800

for painting small cylinders, I'll just string them together with some wire & spacers and hang from the ceiling on my paintbooth.
recordplayer would do the trick, one or a couple at a time, but painting a LOT of them would become tedious.

This one

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I'd pick up a lathe from Harbor Freight, mask it off prior to painting and go to town. It'd be a write off and a useful tool for future projects.

Techman

mount up a hadn drill motor with a 1/4-20 all thread.. or whatever side hole it is. Wing nut and spin away.

Billct2

I like your idea for the pin striping, it's the same principle that potters use for striping pots. But for the initial coat of paint I would think it would be too slow with all the handling. I'd drive a bunch of big finish nails in a 2x4 with enough space between to spray all sides of the cylinders. Nuts from the misc draw would make a good spacer for the bottom

Nuagedesigns

Do they have to be painted?

If not I would print and cut the correct size rectangle with pinstripes and base color and just wrap the cylinder with vinyl. One and done. No need to wait for paint to dry or figure out a system to get the pinstipes even and uniform on 625 pcs. Post heat and im sure the vinyl will be fine.

Just a thought.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Do they have to be painted?

If not I would print and cut the correct size rectangle with pinstripes and base color and just wrap the cylinder with vinyl. One and done. No need to wait for paint to dry or figure out a system to get the pinstipes even and uniform on 625 pcs. Post heat and im sure the vinyl will be fine.

Just a thought.

Nope, didn't really think of tnat, cause it seems like it will involve more cost, time and patience. I'll crunch the numbers and tale a look see. Thanks :toasting: