• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

TX transfer tape for autowrap

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
We do a lot of decals for trailers, trucks, etc and often use autowrap for the decals. We watched a video recently that talked about a transfer tape that will stick to the liner of the autowrap material. I've lost the video. Does anyone know of a transfer tape that sticks to that release liner on the autowrap material?

petepaz

i use AirMask 510U, works pretty good on air release liners
Product Details
  • Medium tack clear application tape that is a unique film premask with an affinity for air-release liners
  • This product has been designed for cold laminator applications eliminating the need for heated nip rollers or heat vacuum process
  • Effectively adheres well to exposed air-release liners, but won't lift vinyl off the target surface
  • Works with a wide range of vinyl and liner as well as notoriously difficult to lift color change matte and textured wrap vinyls
  • Releases cleanly and easily upon installation
  • 100 yard rolls
  • For more information on this product see data material below.

somcalmetim

Yep Airmask works great...if left masked for a long time it can get a little hard to peel but it rolls and ships better than anything in paper premask without tenting. Will stretch a lil bit if required so its easy to conform/install on vehicles.
Actually cheaper than the 3M premask where I get it so its a win win.

Signarama Jockey

We do a lot of decals for trailers, trucks, etc and often use autowrap for the decals. We watched a video recently that talked about a transfer tape that will stick to the liner of the autowrap material. I've lost the video. Does anyone know of a transfer tape that sticks to that release liner on the autowrap material?
I'm curious. When you say autowrap material, do you mean wrap film, or do you mean the AutoWrap brand of protective films? I don't have any experience with the latter. Who are your customers for that (generally speaking)? Sounds like an interesting market to be involved in.

...or am I wrong on both counts?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I'm curious. When you say autowrap material, do you mean wrap film, or do you mean the AutoWrap brand of protective films? I don't have any experience with the latter. Who are your customers for that (generally speaking)? Sounds like an interesting market to be involved in.

...or am I wrong on both counts?
Considering the OP is not an OEM vehicle manufacturer, I'm going to assume she meant air-egress vinyl.....but you know what they say about assuming.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Considering the OP is not an OEM vehicle manufacturer, I'm going to assume she meant air-egress vinyl.....but you know what they say about assuming.
no, you're right. I meant air-egress. We just did a vehicle with plottered letters and I used Arlon SLX. it's got a low initial tack to begin with. But that liner is slick. I run the graphics through a laminator when I'm done, but it always lifts. My bf mentioned he watched a video and they gave a nod to a particular transfer tape made specifically for the air-egress. So, I was trying to find which one that was or if there was a brand that people use.

Signarama Jockey

People who transport cars and boats use this kind of stuff to mitigate their insurance liability. If I had to move a Lamborghini from Florida to LA on the back of a truck, I'd be VERY interested in some short term protective film. I imagine that car collectors would also be interested.

That's why I was curious. Checking to see if there was some untapped market I could exploit.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
People who transport cars and boats use this kind of stuff to mitigate their insurance liability. If I had to move a Lamborghini from Florida to LA on the back of a truck, I'd be VERY interested in some short term protective film. I imagine that car collectors would also be interested.

That's why I was curious. Checking to see if there was some untapped market I could exploit.
you mean like bubble wrap?

Signarama Jockey

you mean like bubble wrap?
No, it's like a thick rubberized sheeting. It goes on similar to a wrap job, but it's not printed or anything. Protects from bug splats and rock chips. Looks like a vehicle transport/long term storage kind of thing.

You might have seen a car carrier truck driving with some cars already wrapped in a white plastic looking cocoon. That's the stuff.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
lol, such as it is. I was hoping I could copy your success, maybe edge in on your market share!

I don't know if I can even imagine enough customers to make it viable. Still looks cool, though.
That's probably a question to research with new/used car lots.

I'm just looking for transfer tape that will stick to the air-egress liners.