Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Transfer Tape or not

Discussion in 'Vehicle Graphics' started by Annette Asberg, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Annette Asberg

Annette Asberg Member

Sep 20, 2018
    Aliso Viejo Californien
    Hi
    I am a newbie and the queen of silly questions :)
    Therefore I am asking for help with a wrap that has cutouts. Should I add transfer tape on the part that is cut out or not, what would you do? Please see attached pictures

Attached Files:

2. GaSouthpaw

GaSouthpaw Active Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Georgia
    I wouldn't, but I suspect my comfort level with applying that graphic might be higher than yours or you wouldn't be asking.
    I'd say yes if you have any doubt about getting the hand and the name applied correctly.

3. equippaint

equippaint Very Active Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    I would hinge it horizontally right above king and the backing paper can keep the top bits from flopping around and the overhanging king straight

4. 2B

2B Very Active Member

May 5, 2011
    TX
    if you are installing in a hot area, the transfer will help, make sure you use the paper version.

it is all based on your experience. if you are hesitant, add paper transfer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ikarasu

ikarasu Very Active Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    I'm going to go against the grain and say don't pre mask. It's cheap.. But your adding work and time when you don't need to.

That wrap is one of the easiest to learn how to do it without premask.... So no time like.the present to learn.

Whenever you get to a non solid piece that's been cut... Just make sure to peel slowly and support the vinyl so that it's not going to rip.

I'd be more.worried about alignment with all those grooves if you don't have experience with this type of wrap. Apply the vinyl over the grooves without Pressing the vinyl into them first. Or at least leave the last few inches where you're joining lifted... Align and repeat for the second piece. Then press into the grooves once both pieces are aligned and sticking together for best results.

If you already know this or have a different way, sorry! I think getting alignment done right would be more challenging than not using premask if you're not used to working with grooves / cut material though. An image as big as this should be fine with no pre mask even for beginners. Unless your doing it under the hot son like mentioned.