• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Triangle Inks - To move or not to move.

tdgraphics

Hi all,

I know many of you are using Triangle inks in your Roland machines. I have a 4 3/4 year old VersaCamm SP 540V which is exceptionally reliable, had 2 problems (print head , encoder module) in all that time.

I don't want to change and then find I am getting all sorts of funny problems, taking the machine out of service.

Do the Triangle Inks smell more than the OEM inks?

Will the inks work with standard VersaWorks profiles or I have to reprofile the RIP?

Any comments, observations etc will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Neil Fox
T D Graphics

mark in tx

Yes, you'll need ventilation, or at least very good circulation.

Will the inks work with standard VersaWorks profiles or I have to reprofile the RIP?

You will have to re-profile, if you want the best results.

Any comments, observations etc

I've been using the triangle inks for about 3 years.
Better color gamut (proper profiling)
Much better durability (passes the alcohol wipe test)
More cost effective

On a machine that old, it is possible you will be looking at a few days of things getting a little messy. Simplest reason is that the stronger solvent in triangle ink will clean out any old sticky ink in your system, which is there in the nooks and crannies.

I would suggest you have some caps, dampers, wipers, sponges, and maybe a pump ready to swap in.

Good luck!

B Snyder

If you can deal with the odor and having to profile your media again then I guess you just need to figure out if the volume you print and how long you intend to keep the printer are enough to make it worth it financially.

tdgraphics

Thanks for the comments, my big thing is that I am not in a position to reprofile everything I use. At present I have got everything working 100% am am happy with my media choices for the various types of work i do, board signs low cost vinyl, medium grade and wrap material as well as banners, roll ups and pop ups. To go through that process all again, would be a pain.

The odor could be a pain, but it would not be a change over breaker, but the profile could be too much as I am busy running the machine at present.

Thanks for the comments, Neil.

nate

It's all a simple matter of print volume. If you're not doing a lot, the extra effort for the initial setup and the daily maintenance might kill any benefits. If, however, you find yourself going through sets of ink a month, then yes I'd look in to it.

OEM:
440ml= $109 so 1L = ~$250

Triangle:
1L = $120

At some point these two numbers will be so far apart (probably when you're going through a set of complete ink a month) that you'll find that even if you need to replace every head in the system, you'll have saved so much in ink costs that it'll pay for itself.

Here's how it works out:
1 Set OEM = 12 (440ml carts, or 880ml/color)* $109 = $1308
1 Set Triangle = 6 (1L /color) * $120 = $720
Net savings: $588 plus you get 120ml ink more than you do with OEM

Do that every month and you save $7056 in a year!

Now what if you went through one and a half complete sets a month? Or two? Or three?

The savings build up tremendously, and quickly.

Now-- I've been running them in our two Rolands for more than 18 months, and outside of needing to clean daily, and doing something with the fumes as we could smell them a bit more than the OEM ink, I would never switch back.

In addition to the cost savings, you also see a tremendous benefit in efficiency. Think of the many times you've seen someone on here say HELP! I've run out of ink-- anyone have a cartridge??? With the ink in the bottle solution I'm not tied down to waiting around for cartridges to arrive. A quick glance can tell me when I need to get some more ink. I can add ink at any time regardless of what's going on with the printers. No need to wait for the cartridge to run out. It's brilliant.

nate

Thanks for the comments, my big thing is that I am not in a position to reprofile everything I use. At present I have got everything working 100% am am happy with my media choices for the various types of work i do, board signs low cost vinyl, medium grade and wrap material as well as banners, roll ups and pop ups. To go through that process all again, would be a pain.

I didn't catch which machine you had-- profiling takes time and money for the correct equipment. We found when we switched that most of the VersaWorks profiles were adequate without much change. The ink was close enough that, while you would be able to tell a difference, you wouldn't be too out of line.

We slowly took our time building profiles in Onyx-- we didn't see a need to rush too quickly as the output was satisfactory.

chopper

Triangle has 440 ml carts available also, you could do a system flush and try them in the carts if you like it switch to the bulk inks or if you do not do enough printing stay with the carts..and take advantage of the savings and the better colors. if you dont like them do another system flush and go back..
//chopper

CustomRide

Hi all,

I know many of you are using Triangle inks in your Roland machines. I have a 4 3/4 year old VersaCamm SP 540V which is exceptionally reliable, had 2 problems (print head , encoder module) in all that time.

I don't want to change and then find I am getting all sorts of funny problems, taking the machine out of service.

Any comments, observations etc will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Neil Fox
T D Graphics

Honestly if you don't have time to mess with the possibility of profiling....you need to seriously consider Nazdar Source one ink. It has the same amount of odor as the OEM roland inks but is about $75-$80 for a 440cc and $40-$45 for a 220cc.

Its pretty good. We have heard good thinks about Triangle and will make the switch when need be but the Nazdar ink is plug and play and cheaper!

craigdavisdesign

I must say I don't agree with most people that say you should stick with OEM ink. If there is something out there that works better or at the very least the same and there is a cost savings why not give it a try. I think I have had less problems with aftermarket than OE. I have had a Roland tech here to check my machine and was surprised how well thing looked. Yea, Roland no longer wants to talk to you after you switch but maybe they should take a look at their product and find out what they can do to improve. I'll step off the box now. Oh and by the way I use 11 10 inks.

Stealth Ryder

I respect your opinion but have to say that I have repaired 100's of printers that were trashed due to 3rd Party Inks... The damage done in each case was indisputable and after thousands of dollars all the folks continue to report success... JMO

craigdavisdesign

Its good to have someone here that has seen the result. What types of problems have you seen that were directly related to non-OE ink use. I'm sure head damage will be one but what type if thats the case. Thanks for your input.

Stealth Ryder

Heads are very expensive and should last a long, long time... Maintenance Assemblies continue to go up in price. When folks do not use the machines on a regular basis ink lines and dampers/filters tend to get expensive as well... Never found any consistant profiles for these inks as well, each batch seems to be different making them a profiling nightmare... JMO

nate

Heads are very expensive and should last a long, long time... Maintenance Assemblies continue to go up in price. When folks do not use the machines on a regular basis ink lines and dampers/filters tend to get expensive as well... Never found any consistant profiles for these inks as well, each batch seems to be different making them a profiling nightmare... JMO

That's always fair... as I said above you have to actually use it. I think if you left any ink sitting in the printer you'd eventually have problems.

There is also a big difference in 3rd party. I don't know all of them, but there sure seem to be many different brands... I like Triangle because it is consistent, it isn't "too cheap", etc.

Dampers, wipers, cap tops, etc. are all consumables and should be expected to be replaced anyway. I have a schedule for mine- I don't wait for them to break, I actively replace them on cycles.

Stealth Ryder

Based on your comments you seem smarter/more informed than the avarage bear/end user... All I can report is what I have seen in real world situations. Hey, I hope everone uses them, money in the bank for folks like me in terms of repair cost and money made...

ChiknNutz

Stay OEM... The cost of ink is nothing in the Grand Scheme of Things... JMO

Really? See post #7. I've been using Triangle MLD inks since my machine was new (over 4 yrs now) and have had ZERO issues as a result of the ink. I've saved SO much over OEM, plus have experienced superior color gamut, chemical resistance and abrasion resistance over OEM that it is an absolute no-brainer for me.

Bly

My 745EX is coming up to 4 and a half years years old and I've tossed the idea around too. My local Triangle rep even said forget it unless you're doing the volume as it's harder on the machine.

Jack Knight1979

triangle

I've been using them for three years. I love them. I do a good amount of volume so I save a ton of cash every year. They are harder on the machine and you need to do more cleanings. the inks also have a strong odor.

I built a special vent system for my Roland, along with an air scrubber. Plus a 2k dollar profiling system. Almost forgot the 2k bulk tank kit. So initially I spent a ton of cash to make the switch. Luckily it has worked out for us.

If you do not go through a lot of ink, it's not worth it. Just try 11/10.