• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Trouble cutting direct from Illustrator

AnteVante

Until now I´ve used Cutstudio for cutting my images but recently I started to learn Illustrator.

Illustrator have a function to send the image to cutstudio but If I want to cut directly from Illustrator, how do I do that.
I´ve tried to print direct from the printer menu and select GX-24 as a printer but It didn´t work that well, either did it not print out at all or started of att wrong origin.

Do you guys always use cutstudio / signcut or other progs. or do you cut directly from Illustrator?

iSign

you would still need a bridge program, like magi-sign, or maybe something else with a name like sign-tools maybe... Graphtec used to give away a cutting utility that worked with Illustrator. I ended up receiving one, but never actually found it worth even trying out. In my opinion, it's not worth pursuing if you already have another program you can import .ai files into for cutting...

...or you can learn Corel instead of illustrator. They are very similar, but Corel costs less & has more easier methods for cutting direct, or almost direct. I don't use Corel because i was many years into learning Illustrator by the time I heard of some advantages in Corel. Of course Illustrator has some advantages too... so owning & understanding both is even better...

...still yet, most people cut out of cutting programs, even though many of us draw in drawing programs first. It's not like it's difficult or all that time consuming to use 2 programs.

AnteVante

Thanx for the quick answer.
The problem is that I already own Illustrator CS3 (bought the Creative suite when I was studying Photoshop).
what other bridge programs do you use to cut with?

The signcut Is really not that complex.
I was looking at the signcut and that seemed to be a great program.

Vinylman

Thanx for the quick answer.
The problem is that I already own Illustrator CS3 (bought the Creative suite when I was studying Photoshop).
what other bridge programs do you use to cut with?

The signcut Is really not that complex.
I was looking at the signcut and that seemed to be a great program.

I have used SignCutX2 for several years, and it is probably your best option. you can lease a license from the company for only $99.00 dollars for three years. I found it to be one of the best after market plotter programs out there to cut right out of Illustrator.

AnteVante

I think the SignCut X2 Is a bit hard to work with (tried the test version).
It´s already have had 3 crashes on 4 days and I really miss the undo function.
And I can´t set up a different workingarea than the one I´ve imported from Illustrator.

So the only thing I miss in signcut is the ability to set up weeding lines

Techman

cocut is the real answer.. it has every thing covered. ITs been around for years. Never have to complain about some missing feature. It cuts out of illustrator, corel autocad.. IT has every thing a vinyl cutter could ask for.

GypsyGraphics

Graphtec used to give away a cutting utility that worked with Illustrator

I recently purchased a Graphtec 5000 that came with Cutting Master 2. I was specifically looking for a bridge from Illustrator CS4 to the plotter. I'm not a professional sign maker though, I'm a graphic desinger who's been using AI for many years and wanted to stick with what I know. The Cutting Master 2 software has been perfect for what I need.

From Illustrator, with my native ai file, I can go directly from the file menu, select Cutting Master 2 and select Cut/Plot.

I really like not having to save my work as an eps and then opening in another program. Not that saving it as esp is so much trouble, but for me having one less file for each job, and a few fewer steps is a big plus.

That's my two cents as a desinger, for the scoop on industry standard signmaking software, that'll have to come from the pros.

johnnysigns

I couldn't get illy CS4 to work w/ cutting master 2 several months ago, only CS3 works for me. it's kinda been a hassle as I'd like to move on to CS4 but haven't because I thought it was a no go.

I recently purchased a Graphtec 5000 that came with Cutting Master 2. I was specifically looking for a bridge from Illustrator CS4 to the plotter. I'm not a professional sign maker though, I'm a graphic desinger who's been using AI for many years and wanted to stick with what I know. The Cutting Master 2 software has been perfect for what I need.

From Illustrator, with my native ai file, I can go directly from the file menu, select Cutting Master 2 and select Cut/Plot.

I really like not having to save my work as an eps and then opening in another program. Not that saving it as esp is so much trouble, but for me having one less file for each job, and a few fewer steps is a big plus.

That's my two cents as a desinger, for the scoop on industry standard signmaking software, that'll have to come from the pros.

curtrnev

I use the plug in from Roland to cut from Illy, it still actually cuts from Cut Studio though. I know in Corel you treat your cutter as a printer and cut from it that way I have not tried that in Illy. Does Cocut run in Illy or Corel and does it open seperately? Is it a stand alone that you import to?

Techman

Does Cocut run in Illy or Corel and does it open separately? Is it a stand alone that you import to?

Cocut works within corel or illy or autocad or free hand as a plugin. Just like any other plugin you use in photoshop or illy. All you do is click the icon when ready to cut and it brings up the cut dialog. Within that window is numerous options to select.

Cocut has been around since the very beginning. It was an option for corel draw 6. It is complete in every way. It has every option that any vinyl cutter would ever want. Including paneling, traps, weed lines welding, hairline options, layer cutting, cutting according to color registration marks and more.

If you are paneled to big it will notify you and give you option. Its simply the better choice. Long ago I looked at all choices out there. Spent a few more buck than I needed to spend. All to find the best option.

Cocut pro was the final choice. I had no preconceived ideas as to what was the best.
However, when some clients sent me illy files and others sent me corel and a couple others sent me autocad I knew the choice was Cocut pro.

However, when it saved me from cutting a bad panel several times, then upgraded several times for free with even more and better options the choice was final..

solgraphix

yea we have CS3 and CS4 and we have a new FC-8000 by graphtec and we got Cutting Master 2 for free with it, works amazing :)