• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Trouble finding a true RED

T

Tropics09

:banghead:
now let the search for someone who can profile my printer begin. Thanks for the help guys!

David40

Good Reds

I had a hell of a time getting good reds out of my Mutoh printer. I ended up printing the CYMK chart built into Flexi then I use the color squares to determine the values to use in my work. It matters not how it looks on the screen because I know the values I specify will produce the output I want.
The other thing I learned is that your CYMK printers have a very limited gamut of colors. If I had to do it all over again I would buy a printer that uses 6 inks that are needed for a wide gamut of brilliant colors.

hyperdrive

In versaworks make sure the convert to spot colors tab is checked.
Banding isnt a good thing, did the installer calibrate the machine? I use pr42k or 43k in versaworks or 200 r 0g 0b for an rgb color in flexi.
I get amazing reds from my xr..

Asuma01

David that sounds like hell. You should look into trying to profile your own media. There are many resources here on how to do it. If its your first time and know nothing then I would spend some money and get at least some basic training or call tech support during the process and go to town. Or if you really dont care and just want your stuff to work then there are color guys that you can hire to fix your color problems.

I use the PRK-42,
my son called the me other day and had me try --Media type--MVCP Print quality--high speed Printer controls- Use custom settings overprint-2 It really looks good.....

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I had a hell of a time getting good reds out of my Mutoh printer. I ended up printing the CYMK chart built into Flexi then I use the color squares to determine the values to use in my work. It matters not how it looks on the screen because I know the values I specify will produce the output I want.
The other thing I learned is that your CYMK printers have a very limited gamut of colors. If I had to do it all over again I would buy a printer that uses 6 inks that are needed for a wide gamut of brilliant colors.

I hope you are not meaning 6 color as in CMYKLcLm..... lol - LcLm adds precisely zero additional gamut. Now if you are meaning special additional colors like orange, green, violet - then yes those can make a big impact on gamut. The biggest impact is designing and creating files that the RIP works best with and with most RIP's that is RGB and spot colors. Seems counterintuitive since the printer is using CMYK inks but the abilities and gamut of the CMYK inks is not at all parallel to the very limited gamut of CMYK design work.

The gamut on CMYK printers is probably a lot better than you think. Print an RGB chart instead of a CMYK chart. Printing CMYK is what is limiting your gamut.

dirttoo

Judging from your previous posts I don't think it is a good idea for you to buy an Eye1 now. Eye1 is just a tool to build profile but you need deep knowledge on Color ICC to do it properly. Your best bet is having an expert come over and set it up for you. If you want to test the ink for red color you can rip/print your test file with NO ICC attached (iprovided you know how to turn it off in the Rip). Overall color may not look great but the printer will do exactly what you asked.
Hope this would help

What is this expert called? I can't seem to find anybody local that knows anything. I talked to the top "wrap guy" in my area and he kept talking about my color pallets.
What kind of business would I call for this? I need help now.

hyperdrive

there is a rendering intend option, within it you have an option for pure hue. Check the red and retry..I had the same problem while using flexi with our xr.. works like a champ.

Scott

player

there is a rendering intend option, within it you have an option for pure hue. Check the red and retry..I had the same problem while using flexi with our xr.. works like a champ.

Scott

Do you check that in Flexi main color management from the design screen or do you click that in Production Manager? Is this just for a particular file or as a global setting?

Correct Color

Yeah, a lot of people struggle with reds, and for a lot of reasons.

But there are three things that need to happen for you to be able to print any color, and print it correctly.

First, your printer has to be capable of reproducing that color. If it isn't, then no amount of trying is going to make it happen.

Second, you have to have a printer profile that is constructed so as to let your printer print that color.

And you may think this is a no-brainer, but in fact it's the reason for a good many of the struggles most people have.

The fact is that unfortunately, a bad ICC profile is still a valid ICC profile, and without question, the worst advice you can get online is to "go out and buy an i1 and do it yourself."

Trust me on this: It takes years to learn to make profiles so as to get every bit of capability out of every machine on every media at every resolution. And if you go out and buy an i1, and you manage to make a profile, and in that profile you limit for whatever reason your printer's capability to get good rich reds...

well, doesn't matter if it's capable of hitting them, or what color data you send it or how. It won't with that profile.

Ever.

And then lastly, assuming your machine can hit a color, and you have a profile that allows your machine to print it, then you have to tell the printer the color you want to print, and tell it correctly.

Usually today, that means sending the printer a defined spot color. Typically when a client is calling for a specific red, it's going to be a spot color as opposed to a color in an image.

When using spot colors, creation color space is irrelevant. So sRGB, Adobe 1998, SWOP, whatever, the RIP will disregard the creation color space and look for the L*a*b* value of the spot color in the destination color space -- the printer profile.

Assuming the profile is an accurate representation of how the printer prints, and assuming the profile captures every bit of the printer's capability, then you'll get as close as you can mathematically get. First time, every time.

Mike Adams
Correct Color