• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

trouble with cut contour AI to versaworks

cha88

i have had no problems cutting before... and the cut contour swatch is working because if i put just the cut outline on a file by itself it will show it in the menu that there is a cut file... but as soon as i lay it over top of the image and save the whole file together it only shows print...

cha88

Malkin-yes there is a transparency...on the photoshop file...which i imported to Ai as an .EPS

Malkin

When there is a transparency in a file, VersaWorks will not "see" the cutlines. You have to find a way to setup the file without the transparency.

Sometimes the solution is to save a flattened version of your Photoshop file, place in Illy, and overlay your cutcontour.

TheSellOut

Okay...I am no tech, and I'm not sure that this will work or if I have the settings right, but when my Roland VP540i was installed last year the tech that installed everything made a custom setting in my EPS options and I have no problem with my transparencies.

File>Save as> EPS

In the EPS Settings, under "Transparency", choose "[Medium Resolution]", then hit "Custom" to the right of the Preset box. Now somehow he made a "[Medium Resolution] copy" that is always in the Preset box as an option which I can't figure out how to do, but anyways these are the custom settings that I have...

Raster/Vector Balance 75
Line Art... 300ppi
Gradient and Mesh... 150ppi

"Convert All Text to Outlines", "Convert All Strokes to Outlines", and "Clip Complex Regions" are all unchecked.

Hope this works!

I have also noticed certain "Media Types" in Versaworks won't allow a Print/Cut as well...I believe the one I found to not work was "SFPLF: Front Print Backlit Film"

cha88

thank you everyone for your replys... i did flatten the image which killed the transparency and used heaths effect>sketch>Stamp process to create the outline... it did work...still wish i could use the transparent background and cut for when I am using multiple logos in one file...

cha88

heath, i have not tried what you said in post #6 yet because at the time i got my file to work... now im onto a different job and having similar problems... i made the cut contour and it works by itself but as soon as i bring the artwork in with it, it will only print no cut...

cha88

heath when i try that i am unable to change the transparency settings because the buttons are ghosted out...

TheSellOut

Alright I think I figured it out...if you go to Edit>Transparency Flattener Presets...select "[Medium Resolution]", click "New" preset, and then plug in the settings in #6...it just might work!

Then when you go to save a file with a transparency you should have the option to change the settings to the Medium Reso. Copy!

Hope it helps!

jfiscus

Rap Master
The reason that transparency & cut contour do not mix is because the CutContour in Illustrator is a Spot Color, Illustrator should even tell you that while saving the file. (see attached image for error message you should be seeing) When you see this message, expect trouble with either printing (transparency/shadow/gradient issues) or cutting correctly. The messages states "changing them to process colors outside of Illustrator can generate unexpected results" and your Rip is changing them to process colors, thus the issue.

In most cases, I open the image with PhotoShop, create a high-res JPEG & place that back into Illustrator (with the spot CutContour) and save a copy that way so that transparency isn't an issue.

Also, double-check all artwork files for unnecessary spot colors (even when not cutting) before printing, just to eliminate transparency issues.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 193