• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Trying to figure out what cutter to get.

Mif4

Looking to pick up my 1st Vinyl cutter. Im brand new to vinyl but not to graphics/design

Im a Graphic Design student and i thought it would be a good idea to sell stickers/signs/car graphics/business lettering and logos on ebay to make some extra money.

What would be the best Vinyl cutter for under 2,500.00?
I found 2 that looked decent from a good e-bay seller.
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Q60-Series-...hZ011QQcategoryZ26245QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/Graphtec-CE5000...hZ011QQcategoryZ26245QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Are those 2 good or should i look at another in the 2,500.00 range?

Do cutters/plotters in that range only cut 1 color graphics?

Can plotters/cutters do anything other than cut graphics?

How long do they typically last before needing new parts?

Thanks!

ChiknNutz

...i thought it would be a good idea to sell stickers/signs/car graphics/business lettering and logos on ebay to make some extra money...

Definitely NOT the best way to get started...please reconsider this.

Either way...Welcome to the board!

BTW, I have had the D60 for about 4.5 yrs now with great results.

gpzjack

im happy with my Q60. Have a cheap ebay one too..made nice money with it but its no comparison to the q60. Sign warehouse is running some decent weekly specials on it too...you can get one right around $2100 ...they even send you some vinyl, banner material and a good bit of software to get going.

ChiknNutz

ebay is all about selling for the lowest price possible...is that what you want to offer....the lowest price possible?

Gain some experience in the industry and you'll understand that it's SO much more about quality, service and creativity than price...this is NOT a commodity industry (at least for me and the bulk of those around here).

signrios

I would buy a roland, i got a roland 24" camm, it's a workhorse.
stay away from ebay! you will break even just like at the current prices the stickers are going for!

Mif4

I think ebay would be a good start to get some things sold. There are people on there who have 10's of thousands of stickers sold. Little 7" ones at 5-6 dollors a pop. Sell 5-10 a day at $5 thats $25-50 day X 7 days = 175-250 a week around 700-1000 a month, just throwing random figures out there. Maybe im dreaming?

Shovelhead

Keep your feet on the ground....

and keep reaching for the stars!!!

Attachments

• 42-3870-sm.jpg
    42-3870-sm.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 131

jiarby

I bought a 24" Graphtec CE5000-60 and it works as advertised, includes the stand and cost about $1600...probably cheaper now.

Will end up buying a larger (50-60") soon but dont tell any vendors...I don't want to get pelted with sales weenies!

bighun

I think eBay is a good idea for a newbie. Get some experience under your belt and when you do, you'll realize your time is worth more than eBay can offer. Don't forget, that $5 decal you sold has overhead...vinyl, app tape, postage, envelope, seller/listing fees and your time.

I plan on letting my 12yr old sell on eBay for some experience and play money.

mondo

I agree with GraphiXtreme.

But in the case of Mif4. I think this would be his side job not a full time. you see if you buy the plotter directly from signwarehouse not thru ebay they will ask you for some Tax ID or Sales Tax ID company name. I think for Mif4, this is not going to be a a business as in "business with proper documents". More like a its probably going to be a hobby. He can't offer his service to his area yet. So I guess its good for him for start. But like GX said you'll get sucked to the lowest of the lowest price, so just beware of other expenses like big hun says.

WVB

eBay is horribly saturated already with "hobbiest" who want to sell decals. The only ones that do sell are the "illegal" ones such as calvins, Famous Stars & Straps, NCAA, NFL, etc. stuff. Vero will kill your listings in no time. Then you will receive a nice letter from a lawyer representing the companies you are infringing on... Once this happens you will be red flagged and they will keep an eye on you ALL the time to make sure you are not selling anything illegal. 3 strikes and ebay will kill your account for good... Hell you can buy 2x6 banners on ebay for $25 - No thank you..! Not worth the time...

At $5 a decal you are NOT including shipping of decal at $1 plus the packaging to ship it in $1. Then you must take out the listing fee of what $0.50 then the finial value fee of what it sells for. If you take paypal (which you will have to as most will not order unless you do these days) paypal subtracts its fees (owned by ebay btw) So you are making what $1 at most..? This does NOT include the cost of the machine, vinyl and supplies you have to make up for...

But then again what does Chris (GraphiXtreme) or myself know right..?)

Mif4

Whoever questioned what you know? Not sure where that came from.
Anyway i have a full time job in Advertising, so this definitely would not be for a job, just a little side money.