• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Trying to figure out what cutter to get.

Jackpine

Graphtec CE5000 Series 48 Is the better choice of the two. The FC series by Graphtec is better built but has the same optics for contour cutting printed graphics.

jiarby

I think ebay would be a good start to get some things sold. There are people on there who have 10's of thousands of stickers sold. Little 7" ones at 5-6 dollors a pop. Sell 5-10 a day at $5 thats $25-50 day X 7 days = 175-250 a week around 700-1000 a month, just throwing random figures out there. Maybe im dreaming?

You need to learn the difference between GROSS SALES & NET PROFIT.

$25-50/day!? Why bother with that!
Design/layout, Cut, Weed, Mask, Pack/Ship, Postage, Gotta buy stamps/envelopes, answer emails from buyers, post new auctions every day, deal with paypal, shipping/delivery on vinyl/mask, cutter costs amortized over time, knives, picks, blades, squeegees, work table, auction fees, paypal fees, ...

oy vey!

Just go get a PT job at McDonalds and be done with it! Plus you get free french fries!

If you DO proceed... set your sites MUCH higher than $50/day. Aim for $5K/day! There's people making that doing what we do (and some alot more than that!). Find out who they are and start doing what they do. Don't copy the $25/day folks!

Mif4

5k a day...i find that hard to believe.
Point me in the right direction, im here to learn.
Do most of you just start up personal websites and let word of mouth do the advertising with quality work....or?

And im good on Mcdonalds, thanks :)

eforer

Pretty much ditto on everything other people have said. Cut vinyl is pretty laborious, consider what your time is worth, do you really want to buy a 3k cutter to make 6$ an hour?

Mif4

Pretty much ditto on everything other people have said. Cut vinyl is pretty laborious, consider what your time is worth, do you really want to buy a 3k cutter to make 6$ an hour?
No, but its a start. Im just cerious whats better then. Personal sites that offer your services? Just looking for direction :)

chopper

I will stick with these simple questions:

Do cutters/plotters in that range only cut 1 color graphics?
yes and no, you can cut only one color at a time but you can assemble multi color graphics, shadows outlines etc..

Can plotters/cutters do anything other than cut graphics?

yes you can cut paint mask, sandblast mask, and draw with pen and markers.
How long do they typically last before needing new parts?
this is tough one it will very from machine to machine and how you use it, if you buy a cheap machine the life may be less and they are more likely to have problems, the biggest wear items are the blades and the impact strip
that the blade rides on and the life of them depends on what you are cutting, if the machine is set up right (proper blade depth) and how you maintain it..

//chopper

jiarby

5k a day 5 days a week is 1.3M/yr. There are many sign businesses doing that and more. The thing is they dont make $6 peeing calvin stickers! They aren't working out of Mom's 3rd bedroom. They didn't start yesterday either!

Maybe you have to start out with an elcheapo cutter, but keep your eye on the future. Will you still be doing peeing calvins next year, or the year after that?

Think like a video game. In the early rounds you work small, the monsters die easy, and you build up your character. As you gain experience and skill you won't be happy making calvins all day long for $50

You can do great work with the combination of a good cutter, great design talent, great installation chops! Learn to airbrush gradients and effects on your cut vinyl. Find someone locally that you can job out digital prints to. Go out and knock on doors and sell. Then come back and find out how to make it or buy it. Websites and auctions are passive methods.

Next thing you know some dry cleaners will ask you to do their pan/channel sign for $3500, and you do the design, contract the fabrication and install, and pocket $750-1000.

Techman

there are several ways to get the real data on ebay sales. One is to subscribed to a ebay data listing that will tell you whats hot and what is not on ebay.
Yes there are several decal stores selling 4 a day. But over the long term there are too many dead days to make it pay.

I cna site a few examples where a decal is listed time and again but does not sell. So overall a ebaystore will list 10 items and sell only one or two. At 5 bux each this is way too much work for so little return.

There are other things going on behind the scenes that make it pay in the long run. But it ain't just decals.

Flame

Think of it this way, a 12" calvin sticker may go for $5-$10, for one client. A 12' sign, may go for $850-$1200, for one client.

Less clients, more freetime, WAY more money. Get into stuff that pays.

:thumb:

hilltopper

For those that are into decals for a hobby as i am: I use a Craft robo to cut 6" x 8" window decals for the local schools. Sports, band, etc. i charge 10.00 a decal and i clear 500.00 a week for about 8 hours work. so Mif4 enjoy your hobby!

Helter Skelter

Just thought i'd chime in on selling decals on Ebay.

I have Sold a number of decals on ebay, but do not any longer, since it is just too much work. Most of the decals will not sell for the listed prices. I have found that to actually sell a few decals, you have to keep your prices really low. (Lets say $2.50 for a 8"x9")

Keep in mind what that decal actually costs you to make and sell.
You must pay listing fees
You have paypal fees
You have to pay for the vinyl.
You have overhead expenses

If you do the math, you'll probably just break even. You may even lose money. And this isn't even including the labor. Ebay isn't all it's made out to be....