• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Trying to install a new video card, need help.

TheSnowman

I bought a PNY GeForce 9400 GT video card last night, because I am using a computer I just bought at an event where it would really be nice to have two monitors, and one will be outputting to a projector screen, so I can do a dual monitor setup with Power Point.

The issue I am having is that when I put the new card in, it totally disables the existing one for some reason, that is built into the motherboard. The computer is a HP, and running windows 7. I just got it a week ago. Everything I've looked up online doesn't say anything about dealing with it causing your old card to not function. I can remove the new card, and everything goes back to normal, but can't even think of installing the new one since I can't see anything to do so.

Anyone got any ideas?

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
i just went through this last week with my compaq (hp)...same thing, the vid card was on the motherboard...i was able to install the drivers for the new card...but then my audio disappeared cause the new card didnt handle that....

i had to return the new video card....i'm still working on a way to do this...so if you come up with something let me know and i'll do the same!

CheapVehicleWrap

With all the variables this can be frustrating, but usually not too bad with one 2 screens. I have 3 24" 1 21" cintiq and a 100" projector all working together after quite a bit of messing around.

omgsideburns

plug your monitor into the new card.. windows will use a generic driver at a lower resolution so you can see and install your driver.

also, if you're trying to use both the video card AND your onboard video, check if the bios has a setting to disable onboard if a pci/vga/whatever card is present.

OldPaint

stuff like this, is why you dont buy an OFF THE SHELF HP/COMPAC or whatever. most of those type computers are NOT EQUIPPED FOR A LOT OF ADD ON OPTIONS.
when you build a computer, you get a m/b that has build on capabilities. most off the shelf puters, are the simplest m/b they can use.
i have a GIGIBYTE m/b. it has a pci-express & pci x1 slot for video cards. in the BIOS it is set to AUTO as to which to use the on board video or the PCI-X16 or PCI-X1.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
most newer MB's don't support using the onboard and the expansion slot at the same time. i used to get away with this a few years back, but the my last two systems wouldn't allow it.

your add on card must be dual output.

that said, i believe you can still use your onboard video along with an old PCI video card, as this doesn't route the second video through the expected port

TheSnowman

I do have dual video on this new card...but like I said, it didn't give me squat. I will either be calling a computer company I guess to handle it, or returning it and get another kind. I don't buy that "a new computer isn't built for it"...it's just adding another video card, I've done it to two other computers in my lifetime, so I know it can be done.

OldPaint

you might try loading the SOFTWEAR & VID CARD DRIVERS, without the new card in the slot...............................then install card and fire it up.................

TheSnowman

I don't know what the heck I did...but I turned it on today and it worked...I didn't change a thing...so, the old plug I'm not using, and I'm just using two outputs on the new card. So far so good, but hopefully it doesn't un-fix itself.