• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tsunami Warning - Guam, Hawaii and beyond...

iSign

stay safe GAC05, Edserv, Pacific Sign and others...

(CNN) -- Authorities in at least 20 countries and numerous Pacific islands issued tsunami warnings Friday after an 8.9-magnitude earthquake struck Japan, the National Weather Service said.

The wide-ranging list includes Russia and Indonesia, Central American countries like Guatemala, El Salvador and Costa Rica and the U.S. state of Hawaii.

The quake, which struck near the coast of Honshu on Friday afternoon unleashed a wall of water that rushed in toward land, leveling houses and cars in its path.

Authorities in the U.S. territory of Guam said a tsunami could hit the island as early as 7:09 p.m. (4:09 a.m. ET). Sirens sounded in Hawaii around 10 p.m. Thursday (3 a.m. ET), warning residents they could expect tsunami waves five hours later.

TheSellOut

stay safe GAC05, Edserv, Pacific Sign and others...

+1 Stay Safe....all kinds of bad weather about....After the the North East got dumped on with snow this past weekend...We are currently getting a ton of rain...which has my whole surrounding area in Flood Warnings...Lets all stay DRY!!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
All clear here - People in Japan are the ones we have to worry about.

wayne k
guam usa

iSign

All clear here - People in Japan are the ones we have to worry about.

Good point Wayne!
I'm not sure what members we may have from Japan, but things look pretty serious over there.

We just had a 4.5 earthquake on the Big Island, unrelated to Japan's quake.

Our anticipated impact is 3 am... What is Guam expecting?

iSign

You guys ok Isign?
I'm in Chicago for another 36 hours, but my shop sits just outside of the inundation zone.

I'm a little worried about possible flooding, but many people will be in worse shape then me if this hits... loss of power may be the only consequence for me, if that... And generators will sell out island wide pretty quick, so my employee has been tasked with getting one for keeping our Mimaki operational IF we lose power in a widespread way...

Hopefully this will pass like the other half dozen other scares I remember...

AUTO-FX

HOLY SMOKES - I just saw footage of the fireball over the Japanese Oil refinery!

(sorry, this should be in the "earthquake" thread, but I didnt see one)

hightop

The news coverage this morning is startling! Glad you guys are safe! Prayers for the others affected!

Jillbeans

Very scary stuff.
It must be hard for you to not be home right now, Doug, but I'm glad you are safe.
Love.....Jill

skyhigh

Watching 50 cars and as many boats rushing further inland is pretty intense too...

Well, I think I'll try to sleep and hope for the best!

you must be watching cnn with me. Unbelievable video's....wow.
Very Frightening.

skyhigh

just said its expected to reach Hawaii in about an hour.
Lets hope is nothing like Japan is experiencing.