• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Two guys one bucket?

gnubler

No, it was you...according to Tex. Warning: DO NOT click this link.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Nope, that's Old Paint.

Attachments

• OP early hair cut.jpg
    OP early hair cut.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 71

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sadly, no. He was a dedicated hand-painter, but was good with computers, too. There are many people on this site who are greatly missed. Maybe we could create a thread of 'In memory of.......' whether they're alive or not.

JBurton

Signtologist
There are many people on this site who are greatly missed.
I really hate reading through an old thread, seeing somebody packed full of knowledge, then seeing that they haven't been on in so many years. I always hope they went off into an actual profitable venture, but in my experience, the most knowledgeable guys are the most enthusiastic about the trade and won't leave, leaving me to imagine the darker alternative...

gnubler

Good lord, what did I just see, that I can't unsee?

Update on this one. Though I had passed on this project, I had other business in the area yesterday and decided to go check it out. The current image on Google street view doesn't match the actual sign, and this thing is a mess. It's not polycarb at all, I'm guessing flex face? The sign face looked like a heavy woven canvas type of material, or heavy duty banner, and was 'springy' to the touch. One single piece measuring around 82x112". I spoke with the owner who said it was attached with "z-clips" inside, but he didn't know how it was installed, or when. A quick look at the Yesco tag on the side of the cabinet revealed a manufacture date of 1999. The whole thing needs to be replaced and I'm going to refer the customer to Yesco. I don't have any experience with flex face, are there wholesale suppliers? See close up pics.

20230928_142950.jpg 20230928_143001.jpg

JBurton

Signtologist
are there wholesale suppliers
Yes, call miratec, indy imaging, oxford graphics, and get a quote for the size. Call Yesco and ask them for a price (and time frame) to install a pair of flex faces. Don't throw away your time in figuring out what the material is, artwork, general customer time sink, etc, just because you won't be able to install it yourself!

JBurton

Signtologist
Also, indicate to Yesco that you plan to reuse flex clips from the original install, you'll need to get them or ask them to bring fresh 1/4" nylon lock nuts.

gnubler

Yes, call miratec, indy imaging, oxford graphics, and get a quote for the size. Call Yesco and ask them for a price (and time frame) to install a pair of flex faces. Don't throw away your time in figuring out what the material is, artwork, general customer time sink, etc, just because you won't be able to install it yourself!
Why would they sub out for a job that was theirs to begin with? Not being snarky.
The bulbs need to be replaced too, half of them are burned out and I told the owner he should have it upgraded to LED.

JBurton

Signtologist
Why would they sub out for a job that was theirs to begin with? Not being snarky.
The bulbs need to be replaced too, half of them are burned out and I told the owner he should have it upgraded to LED.
They aren't owners of the sign, they just happened to have done it initially. At this point you are subbing it out to them. It's not a bad thing, their sales team can't handle every single little job that pops up, and by doing the leg work, they can send an available crew when their schedule permits it, and have the job complete in one day, two workers only, 0 sales time, 0 art time. This wouldn't be a bad job for them, perhaps slightly less profitable. I'd also wager they would not approach your customer for a direct bid, they are too big and rely on too many small shops around the nation to start poach clients for $1,000 jobs.

gnubler

Came across this time lapse video of a flex face install. Four guys, two buckets!

Question: Can faces be removed/installed while up in the cabinet? Or does the extruded frame need to come down?
In the video it looks like they brought a brand new frame with flex face already installed.

gnubler

Also, indicate to Yesco that you plan to reuse flex clips from the original install, you'll need to get them or ask them to bring fresh 1/4" nylon lock nuts.
I called Yesco and they might be able to work with me. He asked about the clips.

JBurton

Signtologist
Yeah, if we have to rent a crane to do a flex face, we buy all new clips. Old clips are hard to work with, and on occasion the threads rust away. If nothing else, new nuts are required. You might as well ask Yesco what they'd charge for a proper survey of the clips and dimensions to avoid any surprises, and they could survey the existing lamps for LED sticks while they're there.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I agree with Burton.. don't throw that away. Get your cost on the flexface from indyimaging, get a quote from Yesco... 50% markup and throw it at them. Mention their sign has ass and ate and wink at them. They will pay the extra.

I've done those flexface by myself with one bucket. I get a helper to make it easier.

gnubler

Mention their sign has ass and ate and wink at them. They will pay the extra.
No one pays when I wink. Usually they go running for cover...

Thanks for the info, I have a request in at Indy. Tex - did you install the faces up on the lift or take the entire frame down to do it on the ground?

gnubler

Burton, I'm checking out those suppliers you mentioned. I didn't mention that this is a multi-tenant sign. Would it make sense to just buy the flex material, cut it to size, and install cut vinyl graphics on it myself? My customer is wanting to use around 2/3 of the area for a logo/lettering, and the rest will remain blank for future tenants.