• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Two guys one bucket?

JBurton

Signtologist
I do it in the air unless it's very windy and no calm days in forecast. Over 15mph it becomes challenging
Yeah, but it is a tad easier than trying to bring the frame back up later in the day. Around here, wind speed only picks up til sundown, and if it's one of those light retainer frames that mounts to the cabinet itself, it is one hell of a kite.

Burton, I'm checking out those suppliers you mentioned. I didn't mention that this is a multi-tenant sign. Would it make sense to just buy the flex material, cut it to size, and install cut vinyl graphics on it myself? My customer is wanting to use around 2/3 of the area for a logo/lettering, and the rest will remain blank for future tenants.
I priced out getting the cast materials and panaflex III for a printed job vs Miratec, and they had me beat by a long shot. If it is just plotted graphics, sure, though I haven't bought any true 'flex face' material that wasn't printed, so I nearly wouldn't know where to get it. For instance, 3m Panaflex III, comes in 10' wide rolls (and smaller I just discovered), and distributors aren't very interested in selling cut to length pieces when they could send huge rolls of it out. Grimco carries it, but they're listing 164' rolls. https://www.grimco.com/Catalog/Products/3MPanagraphicsIII
I'd probably just pony up to print the whole thing, and have them print the dividers for each tenant. At least then you don't have to stripe it at a later date when tenants come in.
And there are totally other flex face materials, panaflex is just one I constantly see spec'd. Just don't imagine that a billboard face material is anything like it, it's like comparing tarps to pool liners.
Tex, know where to get your hands on an unprinted flexface?

Jeez, Cooley Brite white material, 10'6" wide, ~$13 a linear foot. That would probably price out nicely compared to the printers. Can't believe I forgot all about those guys.

gnubler

Thanks for the info. I got a quote from Indy, then when I was looking at Oxford Graphics I noticed they had an option for Flex Face with vinyl applied...which led me to seeing if I can just make it in-house. The existing flex faces are all cut vinyl graphics, nothing is printed.

gnubler

Bummer that it only comes on full rolls, I'm back to outsourcing it. Maybe one of the suppliers you mentioned would sell me two blank pieces?

JBurton

Signtologist
Bummer that it only comes on full rolls, I'm back to outsourcing it. Maybe one of the suppliers you mentioned would sell me two blank pieces?
That Cooley product listed at Reece will come in cut lengths! I'd wager they'd even ship it if you were willing to pay for freight, but likely another distributor in your neck of the woods has it and will deliver for cheaper.
1696286279971.png

I did order blank pieces to test burn cabinets from Miratec, I even leveraged a $20k order we'd just completed, and they still charged me a pretty penny for two 4'x5' pieces. (everybody's gotta eat I reckon)

gnubler

Woot! I looked at that Reece link and saw the '150 ft to a roll' and figured that was the order requirement. You must've been logged in to see that per foot price.

I'll be curious to compare costs. The quote I got from Indy imaging was far less than I predicted, and that was with direct printing.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Woot! I looked at that Reece link and saw the '150 ft to a roll' and figured that was the order requirement. You must've been logged in to see that per foot price.

I'll be curious to compare costs. The quote I got from Indy imaging was far less than I predicted, and that was with direct printing.
You can't beat them. Get your install cost and make the bid gnub. I get 10%

JBurton

Signtologist
Same place you get your raw flex if you go that route to save shipping, otherwise I'd also price yesco supplied clips and just price both distributors you mentioned. You probably want/need a survey to nail down which clips to buy, and then would be wise to send whatever hardware you're considering to your yesco guys to make sure you're getting all the parts you need. Flex clamp, j clip, and the bars are sold separately or as a per piece unit, but you need to nail it down regardless.
Go for 15%!

All this talk of buckets and tag lines makes me realize I've been doing this wrong.
We just bring our scissor lift over, 2-3 guys in the lift. We grab the sign, raise the lift, and slide it in.
Wind can be terrifying(and always seems to pick up as soon as you attempt any install like this, regardless of how calm it was previously, as netsol mentioned), but I'd rather reprint a sign than have anyone get injured, so the rule is to let the sign fall if you might fall.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I guy who used to work for us about 30 years ago, had left to go work for a billboard company. He became their go-to-guy for just about everything. They were doing a uni-pole and he was at the top center, holding the sign in place while the other guy tied it off. They motioned for the boom to lift and all of a sudden, brian started going up with the sign. No one noticed, but his thumb was the only thing holding him on. He had his harness on, but that doesn't help a lone thumb. By the time they realized he was in pain and put him back down, the ties pulled the two joints outta his thumb socket. They took him to the hospital, but they couldn't get it back on perfectly.

In hand painting, which he was excellent at doing, he could no longer roll his thumb for pinstriping and other fancy lettering. He lost a bit of control, but is still lettering by hand to this day.

gnubler

I quoted this job and doubt I'll ever hear from the customer again. I have a feeling that old flex face is going to sit there unused until it starts shredding and disintegrates. "Sign blight"

I sure appreciate all the input from everyone, though. Good info learned for future reference.

JBurton

Signtologist
With gloves on, he said he never felt it
I guess I should be more focused that someone did see it, and he wasn't dangling from the pole as the crane operator broke down and headed home, but sheesh.
I quoted this job and doubt I'll ever hear from the customer again. I have a feeling that old flex face is going to sit there unused until it starts shredding and disintegrates. "Sign blight"

I sure appreciate all the input from everyone, though. Good info learned for future reference.
Yeah, it should be a pretty similar process for anything you get coming through your doors that you can't handle. Only thing to add might be a spike by ike, it'll allow you to go to site, spike the sign, and then pass on accurate enough dimensions for another outfit to go from. Big difference in equipment when you go from 75' to 90' in height, same with square footage.