• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

U channel installation

Cynosure

Can any pass along a little knowledge on the technique to install a new u channel post into an existing asphalt parking lot? I've lucked out that all my installs up to now have been into soil.

Any help as always is appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

CanuckSigns

Use a post pounder, same as you would for soil, it takes a little more work to get through the asphalt but it should only be about 4" thick. If you have a lot to do, consider a gas or hydraulic post pounder.

Johnny Best

I go with a 3' post first so as to get a good position to use a heavy sledge. then bolt the longer section to the embedded one. I usually try to break through the asphalt fist with a star drill chisel to make sure there is no concrete underneath. Most of the time they put a rock dirt fill and steam roll it down and level before asphalt is put down so when you get past that is should go smoothly unless you run into a large rock.

Mans59

3" core drill (Buy or rent) then back-fill with a Quikrete Anchoring cement that sets in 10 minuets,

pjfmeister

we pound straight through the asphalt...did 4 of them last week sometimes they are a little slow to start and keep straight. I am guessing not much fun for whoever has to try to remove them

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I go with a 3' post first so as to get a good position to use a heavy sledge. then bolt the longer section to the embedded one. I usually try to break through the asphalt fist with a star drill chisel to make sure there is no concrete underneath. Most of the time they put a rock dirt fill and steam roll it down and level before asphalt is put down so when you get past that is should go smoothly unless you run into a large rock.

Same thing here. Some strong chisel and if ya have pneumatic, even better. Drive a 30" or 3' piece down first and then attach a break-away kit to hold the top portion in place.

We just bid on a sign which is asphalt and below the asphalt, is another asphalt parking lot on top of about 6" of 2A stone on top of a concrete parking lot, which below that, is anybody's guess from stones then dirt, fill who knows.

The customer decided to put the sign on the wall, instead.

Cynosure

Thank you all for the input! Sounds like I should test and see how soft this asphalt is, and worst case bore a hole. Thanks again!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BROWNDOG

what about utilities? I usually mark for them anywhere i penetrate ground, (its free, why not) but dont want the black top all marked up on a new parking lot, they have to get the electric to the lights some how. luckily i lost the last bid on a brand new shopping center, but it'll probably come up again

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
If it's concrete (common around here) I use a hammer drill to get a hole started and use a big metal rod stabber thing to make it bigger, then refill it with bagged concrete.