• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ugh, another day with a supplier that is failing.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Our supplier moved and ever since then it's like pulling teeth to not get rolls of vinyl that aren't seamed or take 2-4 weeks to get here for the basics (white, yellow, orange, etc) last week we got 7 rolls of vinyl ... 5 were seamed 1 came on two rolls and the last ... no seam. Sadly the rolls that were "seamed" were just thrown onto the rolls and not even tape seamed ... so that is another aggravation. Now I'm on week 4 waiting on a metallic that I needed 2 weeks ago.

I tell you ... it's days like today where you just want to switch suppliers even though you've been doing business with them for over 20 years.

J

john1

Not trying to be a stickler here but why wouldn't anyone use Fellers or Grimco? I know i like to use name brand films and i also use known suppliers so hopefully i won't run into issues as you have.

Sounds like you need to tell them to stick it. The most I've ever waited for a product not in stock was about 3 business days.

CES020

Not trying to be a stickler here but why wouldn't anyone use Fellers or Grimco?

Maybe because Fellers prices are more than others?

We used to use Fellers for most everything. They were awesome. Order it today, have it tomorrow morning. Then we started getting 2-3 day deliveries. Needed some material the next day for a rush job, Fellers didn't have it, called Advantage (Merchant Member here), got the material. Looked at the invoice and found them to be cheaper than Fellers by 10% or so.

I'd like to order from Grimco, but I fight with their website. The "email my password" actually changes the password, and then I never get the email telling me what the new password is. It's not locked up on the server or hung in spam, it never gets here. So it changes my password and then I have no way to retrieve it. If I can't log in to the site, I can't place orders online. I've had a couple of issues with their website like that.

I also order standard "No Parking" signs from them and they showed up a week after I ordered them, rather than a day or two. They may be great, but every time I try to use them, it ends up being a hassle.

Marlene

give them the option to step it up. call and ask that you get faster serivce and no seamed materials. if they say sure as they don't won't to lose you as a customer, then you will be OK. if thye say no, then say good-by as 2-4 weeks is not a normal lead time for stock vinyl.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Well I don't mind a small wait time, our supplier makes weekly delivery runs through the area so I don't have to pay for any shipping and I know UPS (Ooops!) hasn't kick packed my vinyl in their trucks or spilled unknown liquids on it (happened before). It's just a degradation in service since they moved about 4 or 5 months ago. Not really much to complain about during the winter, cut vinyl sales dropped so I didn't have much to do with normal piddly jobs. but now that the weather is better the past month I've been at running pace and the last thing I need to deal with is being out of materials that should be here when I order accordingly to how long it normally takes to get supplies in.

I have a small list of suppliers that I'm going to be contacting if things don't improve. But I am over it today.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Not trying to be a stickler here but why wouldn't anyone use Fellers or Grimco?

I use Fellers when I don't want to have to buy full rolls of vinyl I only need a yard or so of... and they can get me specialty vinyl quicker than my other suppliers.

Grimco is convenience for my reflective sign

Mosh

Maybe because Fellers prices are more than others?

Fellars price match, just ask them and show them what to are paying. Grimco and Fellars is where I get 95% of my vinyl shop materials.
Ces020, sounds like you have problems with everyone....I bet you complain about a 3 minute wait in the McDonald's drive thru...

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
use grimco. same day everything for me.

Oh, I loved grimco when I had my shop In orlando. I could get just about anything and go pick it up if I wanted ... Still have my account there when I get my own shop again. Little on the pricier side, but I never had a problem with them.

TheSnowman

We've been getting almost everything other than ink (because they don't carry what I converted to) from Advantage. Prices are very aggressive now, and they've been great to me ever since buying my printer.

Freese

I'd like to order from Grimco, but I fight with their website. The "email my password" actually changes the password, and then I never get the email telling me what the new password is. It's not locked up on the server or hung in spam, it never gets here. So it changes my password and then I have no way to retrieve it. If I can't log in to the site, I can't place orders online. I've had a couple of issues with their website like that.

I asked them about that and they said the webstore will be getting a much needed overhaul in the spring:rock-n-roll:

Freese

Oh, I loved grimco when I had my shop In orlando. I could get just about anything and go pick it up if I wanted ... Still have my account there when I get my own shop again. Little on the pricier side, but I never had a problem with them.

Their catalog shows multiple locations in TX...?

CES020

Fellars price match, just ask them and show them what to are paying. Grimco and Fellars is where I get 95% of my vinyl shop materials.
Ces020, sounds like you have problems with everyone....I bet you complain about a 3 minute wait in the McDonald's drive thru...

Yeah, I go through suppliers like you go through baby mamas (not really, we haven't "gone through" any suppliers. We use many different companies). I'm sure if one of your baby mamas wasn't eating the fries while running the fry station at McDonalds, it wouldn't take so long.

I do have high expectations for my suppliers. I expect them treat me like I treat my customers. All suppliers will have problems, we judge how they resolve those problems and make our decisions based on that.

We do order from Fellers and we do order from Grimco. Had orders come in from both this week. They just aren't our primary suppliers.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Over the years, we've gone through a lot of vinyl.... both die-cut and digital media. The most common factor of getting seamed rolls always seemed to be getting the inferior products. The lower your price for a roll of media, the lower your quality is going to be.

It's only common sense. Buy good brands and buy their better grades and you won't see a problem at all. I can't remember the last spliced roll we got, unless we ordered some really cheap chit on purpose.

HulkSmash

I only use fellers for short rolls of vinyl - when i dont want a full roll of something. I call the guys at grimco, and i have it the same day. twice a day even if i want. I never use their website.. that's silly. The guys there are so cool, and they make friendships with all their customers. Well at least in my region.

njshorts

This.

Talk to Fellers about your area rep... ours takes great care of us and we haven't had a problem. Priceshopping for them to match is a bit of a pain, but generally our rep does better than anyone else if we just ask 'what can you do for us on this product?'

I've used a few other suppliers and use grimco for substrates, but fellers has my vinyl business.