• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Umm...Goodbye?

Farmboy

Not sure if it's just my area or what, but I would say at least 8 out of 10 people that call don't say Goodbye before hanging up. Not like I need closure at the end of a call, just wondering if anyone else has been experiencing it?

Locals Find!

That is just bad manners. That is the same as walking away in the middle of the conversation. Leaves the other person wasting time wondering if your coming back or what.

MikePro

my grandfather does that all the time! drives me bonkers!

heck, I even "double-goodbye" whereas I sometimes say "i'll talk to you soon" immediately follow'd by a "goodbye" that the person on the other line says at the same time and I get an echo that stuns me for a second.

is "jinx!" an unprofessional response to such occasions?
i've gotten pretty good at biting my tongue during those "that's what she said!" moments, however.

signswi

Phones should send a robotic "goodbye" or a friendly hangup tone automatically on hangup that way we can dispense with it but not offend people with delicate sensibilities.

Fanaticus

It's a new generation. They don't have enough time to waste their breath on those words. Could be worse, they could be texting you instead of calling. Probably while their driving.

WildWestDesigns

It's a new generation. They don't have enough time to waste their breath on those words. Could be worse, they could be texting you instead of calling. Probably while their driving.

Oh, I just love: "What's your prob?" The new generation has just reached an all time from of laziness.

threeputt

You've probably noticed that society's manners in general have deteriorated.

Some things are not being taught anymore. And if not learned in the culture, are not picked up.

Also, everything today is being "abbreviated". Shorthand.

The "exquisite flourishes" in everyday life are not to be seen hardly. Soon gone altogether I think.

I'm a bit older and believe me it's something I notice daily.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I generally only say goodbye to someone I don't know very well..... all others, I say ba-bye.

Guess I'm just a lazy old bastard....... :peace!:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Seriously.....

Isn't this the same mentality that you see around here on an everyday basis when it comes to spelling, abbreviations, thought out ideas, brain farts and so on ?? I mean, most people write in a fashion that much of the time, you have to be a mind reader in order to half understand what they are trying to say or mean.

I don't think kids are being taught how to use proper grammar, punctuation, vocabulary and the very basic semantics of any part of our lives.

The breakdown of simple language is the beginning of the end of a civilization.

..... and you thought Ebonics was bad :covereyes: