• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Un-interrupted Power Supply

hapycmpr

I am told brown outs voltage fluctuation are hazardous to the boards in the Roland printers. So is anybody using a uninterrupted power supply and if so what kind are you using? Ohm's law (amps X volts = watts) then 120 v X 4.5 amps should = 540 watts. Any thoughts?

Roland SC-545EX
-James-

Asuma01

Our electrician installed something called a buckbooster when we had our wiring redone for our new printer.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Agreed.... if it is actually printing a 540 watt UPS will probably hold it for about a quarter of a second. I have a commercial grade Liebert GTX 6000 for our JV33 but that also has the RIP computer and the Summa cutter on it too and then we have a second one for our server rack to provide power to the 2 servers, SAN, and network equipment. If we are printing that massive Liebert will run the printer and RIP for about 30 minutes (shows 340 minutes when the printer is idle lol). You do not necessarily need that much but I like the idea that I greatly reduce the chances of a ruined job. At a minimum I can abort a job in progress in between panels and properly shut everything down. Another thing on a commercial grade UPS is that it will likely have true pure sine-wave output, power factor correction, in addition to full protection for surges, sags, spike, brownouts, etc. Also has full monitoring capabilities and communicates with the servers/rip that are attached to automatically and properly (cleanly) shut them down when the battery gets to 2 minutes remaining.

Asuma01 - The buck booster your electrician installed is because you have something that needs a solid 230 or 240 volts (I'm guessing you bought an HP Latex) and your incoming utility power is only giving you 208 to 220 or so volts. The buck booster does not provide any sort of protection it just boost voltage a small amount.

shuray

...So is anybody using a uninterrupted power supply and if so what kind are you using?
Roland SC-545EX
Same plotter.
I use smartUPS 2000VA, but plotter works on 230V: 230 x 4,5 = 1035VA
By UPS connected plotter and computer with LCD monitor.
Working time of connected devices from UPS about 10-15 minutes with plotter drying zone is ON.

Alex.

fresh

My dad had an idea...
Separate the power supply for the heaters from the rest of the machine, since they are what draw the most power. Then you don't need a crazy large UPS to keep it running if the power surges.

But we haven't done that yet.

rjssigns

Brown outs and voltage fluctuations are different than losing power. I'm no electronics expert, but I think what you need is a line conditioner. Something that puts out a pure sine wave along with regulated voltage.