• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Undefined Media

stickyb

Hello All,

My name is Jenny and I'm a rookie sign maker. I started my company about a year ago making die cut vinyl stickers exclusively, and have since moved into the print and cut game as well as poster printing, and currently I'm trying to print a few banners.

I have a Mutoh Valuejet 1204 and run it with FlexiPro 8.5. I bought a roll of avery jupiter banner material 13 oz from signwarehouse and received it today.

Firstly, I think that the media came reversed on the roll. The glossy less textured side is facing inward towards the center of the roll, and the more textured side is exposed. I called signwarehouse and they confirmed that the roll was indeed reversed.

I succesfully printed one banner on a sheet of the banner material (I did not have it feed off of the roll. Then I tried feeding it off the roll and the message Undefined Media appeared on the screen.

I then tried using just a sheet of the banner material again, but it said the same thing.

I read some of the previous posts on this subject and turned off the media initial, the first time I tried this I couldn't figure out how to change the media width, so it assumed 1000 mm, the media however is 36", so the flushing lines printed off the media. This however was my most successful attempt. While it did print a little bit slated on the media, the entire image was printed. Then I figured out how to manually enter the media width and this made it worse- more of the ink was printed off of the media.

Anyway, I was hoping if anyone had any suggestions. Do you think that the fact that the media is reversed on the roll is causing a problem? Also the media came rolled around a cardboard tube that is about two inches longer on each side than the media, so the media does not sit flush against the right side of printer, which all the other media I have used has. Could this be causing a problem.

I've tried the dummy methods of lifteing the lever, and turning it off.

Hope I don't sound like too much of an amateur. Thanks in advance,

Jenny

TheSnowman

Yea, sounds like positioning. Can you adjust your roll holders to move it where it needs to be? On our Mimaki we can. It can't have anything to do w/ how the roll is wound. I've ordered tons of rolls, and never had a banner come wound outside.

I had some issues with this on different media where I could not get the roll in position any better without unrolling the roll..and I "tricked" the machine by putting a strip of white butcher paper the width of the media on top and the sensors read it and it printed fine.

chase_graphics_CT

Our material comes reversed too. We make sure to give the roll some slack during printing on the reversed rolls because when the machine tries to advance the roll the media usually wrinkles up and the result is alost always a marked up print.