• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Unemployment & Older Workers

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I read several articles today about how unemployment is being especially hard on those 50 and over. Some reports even indicate that 40 is nearing the age of obsolescence.

Obviously, those who were in a manufacturing sector have taken it on the chin (and in the gut)...big time. And it appears that all those smug yuppies who were hot back in the mid 80's and early 90's are now behind the wheel of something less than "the ultimate driving machine".

Knowldege is power, and I would like to think that a 40 year old (who should be mature by that time) can out-gun two inexperienced twenty-year olds any old day. But somehow, companies appear to be overlooking crows feet for a flashy smile and youthful vigor. Kinda sucks, doesn't it?

So here's my question:

For those of us in the "endangered species" age range, what are you doing to "stay current", or perhaps even keep ahead of becoming an one of those employment statistics?

Craig Sjoquist

I certainly do not worry about trivial stuff like looking for a job never have or will be.
When 12 years of age I saw how big company's just flip the switch and no matter how committed you were as a employee you lost, so since 13 when my parents told me anything you want besides food and a place to stay till your 18, I must earn it on my own when your out the door.
So I knew that working for someone was not my choice, so Iv'e only worked for company's maybe 4 to 5 years total out of 47 working years.
The only way our country will be strong again is if that same attitude takes hold and free enterprise is free to get going again.

John L

I provide a service to my clients that they can't get from any other company at a comparable level of cost, speed, and a few other factors. And I don't share how I do that with those young guys.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
And I don't share how I do that with those young guys.

Dang...never thought of that. Perhaps there should be a special AARP thread for those of us who don't care to divulge our competetive edge to the " up and commin' ".

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
The good thing about those of us that are 50+ is that, statistically, we won't be unemployed as long as those of the younger generation - seeing as our remaining time on earth is a bit more limited.....

wayne k
guam usa

anotherdog

When I was younger and worked for someone else I was helpless and nervous about being laid off, now I work for myself I can still worry, but I also have the power to do something to prevent it.

in my late 40's I have learned to avoid the crap I would have walked in when I was younger. I thought I was hot stuff in my thirties, but the only thing that worked better then was my back.

In this new age we now live in, I doubt I will ever get to "retire" I will only slow down and work as ability permits and cost of living demands.

AUTO-FX

But somehow, companies appear to be overlooking crows feet for a flashy smile and youthful vigor.

companies can pay less for these youthful workers, which, to many in HR, seems critical in this tight economy.Remember - the bean counters are scrutinizing everything. i think this will come to pass as the economy improves.

with the rapid advancement in technology, personal technologies like smart phones and social media apps, i think we all have to strive to keep current no matter what our age. No one wants to be out of the loop as it's harder than ever to get back in. Dont want to shell out the $ for that software upgrade? I think you're almost forced to or risk falling in the ditch.

smart phones are a good example of whether we're staying current or not. How many people still have dumb phones? I will admit - i recently got a smart phone. Had no idea what i was missing. It's like having freakin dick tracey watch, yet to the young gen is't normal. And i know nothing about social media, which is likely ( or already has ) replacing the old business card exchanges at the local chamber of commerce.

my 2

Bigdawg

Just Me
... smart phones are a good example of whether we're staying current or not. How many people still have dumb phones? I will admit - i recently got a smart phone. Had no idea what i was missing. It's like having freakin dick tracey watch, yet to the young gen is't normal. And i know nothing about social media, which is likely ( or already has ) replacing the old business card exchanges at the local chamber of commerce.

my 2

I agree - never knew what I was missing until I got the damn droid. Now I find myself using it in place of my computer - a lot. Check email? Easy... jump on Signs101? yep - no problem... integrated facebook and twitter? check.

You are so right Jim. We keep up or get left behind. Simple as that...

petesign

Wow, 40 is obsolescent? I'm 36, and can still program my DVR... I'd hate to think I would lose all mental capacity to keep up with new technology in the next 4 years :)

round man

I am 57 and about 17 years ago the company that I was a contract billboard illustrator and sign painter for informed one morning that my services would no longer be needed. Seems they had bought a new "digital printer" up until that time if they needed a large picture they had to call someone like me with the skills to illustrate anything larger than a sheet of notebook paper to reproduce it,...the money had been very good over the years with a couple of years grossing inside the six figure range. It only took about ten years before every idiot who could push a button was an artist and the machines were economically viable to be in the corner sign shop. I get up every morning and get to read their woes here and laugh at them complaining how they are in a market that is cut throat and continually plagued with ethical discrepancies and economical woes due to over saturation of thier market place asking for solutions to a problem that for all practical purposes is only going to get worse(insert very wide smile here at people who did not acquire the skills to compete,they bought them). I read the writing on the wall quite a long time ago and started to adjust my personal work approach towards technology and included tech repair and started studying the very culprit who put me out of work,..it pays to know your enemies in life well and how they work. I had worked for a very large natl. firm and they had introduced us to computers before they were in the average household and I had a good foundation in the technology field. In the very near future I will attain the necessary certifications to work in the most lucrative aspects of the technology field in a sector that is in high demand and with very lucrative pay scales. My advice for those out there looking for answers,.... success cannot be bought by monetary investment it has to be earned just like those skills of old that so many continue to say are obsolete and no longer needed.

Along the path of life you will continually encounter adversarial situations,...how you react to them will dictate whether you are a victim or a victor,..round man 2010

OldPaint

i think in all my years of working age, 13-65, i have only gotten unemployment for about 6 weeks, and that was in 73, i got discharged from military, and didnt WANT TO GET A JOB till i wanted to))))))).
iam 65 now, and been self employed since 1986. and i HAVE NEVER NEEDED UNEMPLOYMENT!!!

round man

I'm with you here Joe,...been on my own since '72 and only got one unemployment check,..found the process too humiliating,.......I find a job two or three times a week here,....

SignManiac

I'm twenty five :) in my wildest fantasies! I was lucky enough to discover early in life that you either lead, follow, or get out of the way. I've never been afraid to take risks and that along with an open mind has gotten me where I am today. I think technology is wonderful, it's a tool. Use it.

Knowledge is power, the more you have the more valuable you become. Smarts will overcome youth in many cases. I'd hate to be young today, the future is going to be scary for them. Look at the number of college grads who can't find a job right now. I may be old but I know how to survive and that's key today. I don't think many young people today have that killer instinct and fearless desire that will get them ahead in years to come. Most won't anyway. I know a few who might, but they are few and far between.

I know I will never be without work, ever... And if need be, I can do anything, even if it's not signs.

Latigo

When I passed 65 I called the kids together and explained that "in the back of the Bible someplace" there's a passage that says a parent that has cared for and seen to the wellbeing of their children from the beginning should then be taken care of by their children till the end.

So far they're buying it.

P

AUTO-FX

my wife just last nite convinced me to take some computer something courses at the community college. next semester. cant hurt.

artbot

immerse yourself in all things current. DON'T .....BE.... OLD.

listen to current music, read about current topics (keep up with all the TEDtalks, etc), dress in current clothes, get a current hair cut, study alternate religions and cultures and lifestyles, don't champion the olden days.... etc.

i'm a few weeks from 43 years old. i can't see myself as being "old" even in my sixties. because i "keep up". if you think you are starting to look like an antique from the 70's then you are you doing yourself and your family a disservice. snap out of it and don't be old. 30 something's will make and exception for you and aspire to be like you in the next decade rather than ostracize.

OldPaint

damn kids dont know what they'er talkin bout!!!!hahahahahahahahaha
TODAYS MUSIC- SUCKS!!! AC/DC, STEPENWOLF, MOLLY HACHETT, ZZ TOP, EAGLES, MOTOWN OF OLD!!!!
TODAYS DRESS-SUCKS!!!!! i cant see walkin, hold my privates and pants up with one hand!!!!
TODAYS HAIRCUT-SUCKS!!!! who in their right mind wants their hair lookin like you just rolled out the bed????? now this is HAIR!!!

Attachments

• moon 065s.jpg
    moon 065s.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 71

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
damn kids dont know what they'er talkin bout!!!!hahahahahahahahaha
TODAYS MUSIC- SUCKS!!! AC/DC, STEPENWOLF, MOLLY HACHETT, ZZ TOP, EAGLES, MOTOWN OF OLD!!!!
TODAYS DRESS-SUCKS!!!!! i cant see walkin, hold my privates and pants up with one hand!!!!
TODAYS HAIRCUT-SUCKS!!!! who in their right mind wants their hair lookin like you just rolled out the bed????? now this is HAIR!!!

I've been reading your crap for almost 12 years old man... what scares me is I'm creeping on the age you were when I started reading your posts.... and you were saying you were old back then...