• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Unisex Branding

Bigdawg

Just Me
Take a look at this logo

It's a new logo to promote Florida business. I want to say first off that the logo does not offend me - well other than I don't like it - for having the tie in it. But apparently several groups of people are in an uproar because they say it is a sexist logo. I'm not sure I agree with that, but I post this because I wonder how you would see this type of branding. One that seems more male (or female) oriented when the purpose of the branding is not supposed to be geared toward one sex or another.

I have no problem branding a service or product that is geared toward a man or woman with a logo element that makes you understand who the product is meant for. I've made my share of girly layouts :smile:

But for a branding campaign that is unisex, would you have presented this as an option? Or would you have seen it as too male-oriented? I personally wouldn't have presented it only because if I were to trade out the "I" in Florida for something it would have been something that makes you think "office" instead of clothes.

Would really love to hear some of our talented designers share their thoughts.

Joe Diaz

As a designer I wouldn't have pitched that idea because it doesn't represent all business people, partly because of the sex thing, but also because there are a lot of hard working business folks that don't wear ties to work. The simple fact is: these days the tie represents a smaller cross section of business people.

What's with the font? Bender? Really? I just don't care for the logo, period, tie or no tie. The colors are cliche, the font choice is just terrible in my opinion, and it's super dooper boring.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
How disappointing no sex at all in that link...
As for the logo, it looks like the runner up in a middle school graphics contest.
They could have at least adjusted the kerning around the "L" it looks like FL ORIDA

wayne k
guam usa

raider

When I think of "climate" in Florida, I think hot. When I think of hot and a tie, I think sweaty. When I think of Florida, I think of a relaxed, beach/ocean side atmosphere, which has absolutely nothing in common with a tie. But, I guess since the State of Florida didn't hire me, my opinion doesn't really matter. The longer I'm in this business, the more I wonder how some companies stay in business.

Tim Aucoin

I agree with Joe. These days, a tie is not necessarily representative of your average business person. Even here in "oil town" Calgary, it is a rare sight to see a tie anymore unless you're very, very high up management. When I think Florida, the last thing I think of is wearing a tie. The logo is way too stuffy in my opinion! :smile:

Techman

There is definably a rift between blue collar and white collar.
There is also a different mind set between the two groups.
That logo is appealing directly to the person the business development wants to attract. That is white collar business persons. They are not worried about the blue collar set. In fact many who are upset about that logo are likely in the blue collar definition.

There is no negative connotation meant between blue collar and white collar. It's just a definition. Florida is after jobs. The Southern states from Florida to Texas are taking jobs away from the Northern states using campaigns and art just like this one that points directly at a specific group.

A point.. A few years ago the Japanese consulate visited the governor of Louisiana. He was appalled and just about insulted because the governor did not wear a tie. So, we Americans have to accept that we do not wear ties but other parts of the world do and in fact demand them.

visual800

ahhh the tie! The one thing I despise when I meet someone. I do not like them I do not wear them. BUT as far as logo, yes its crap but the tie doesnt offend me in thinking female vs male a tie represents business as it has throughout my whole life so I "get it"

I have noticed these logos these cities have like this ususally suck...you should see the one we have called "capitol cool" for our city. It is the most horrendous POS I have ever seen

Joe Diaz

Techman, what you say makes a lot of sense for why they chose the image they did. I still think their decision was a poor one. They could have created an image that not only attracts those same white collar, tie wearing business men... but also attracts white collar women, blue collar men & woman, and also small business men & woman. They aren't thinking big enough in my opinion. They are being exclusive, when in this economic climate they should try to be more inclusive. An all of the above approach would have been more effective IMHO.

Not trying to get too political here... I know it's commonplace to kowtow to investment bankers and CEOs, but at a certain point in time, our country is going to need to start taking more interest in the small business innovators, the service industry, etc... because we are in major trouble if we don't.

But what did we expect? we know this logo has most likely gone through the ringer and was a design by committee creation. I've found that 9 time out of ten those types of logos end up being mediocre at best.

Last edited:

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
They know the audience.

Attachments

• aaaaa.JPG
    aaaaa.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 99

Marlene

they should have posted it here with a "what do you think" so we could tell them it sucked and to hire a designer