• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Unlaminated vinyl prints...how long do they last?

DesireeM

Wondering how long unlaminated prints will last outdoors.

We print on vinyl and apply to substrate. Roland Eco solvent inks.
I almost always laminate prints unless it's for very temporary, indoor signage like a presentation cheque for a press conference or a one-day event sign.

I was asked to supply a quote for 500 coroplast signs. They are yard signs for an election. I always thought that anything outdoor should be laminated if it's going to be there for more than a few days but I've noticed that might not be the case.

Can anyone tell me how long outdoor, unlaminated prints have lasted in your experience? I plan to pass along the savings to the customer - I just want to be able to give them a really great price and if there's no need to laminate then why bother?

I realize flat-bed printing might be the most cost effective option for this job so if anyone wants to PM me with a quote to print this job on 4mm coroplast and ship them to Sudbury, Ontario Canada....

Sizes are (350) 2' x 2', (50) 4' x 8' and (100) 2'x3'

Biker Scout

No need to laminate coroplast. It's considered temporary signage, and basically a throwaway material.

With all of the Eco-Solvent inks you can safely guarantee 2 years. I know they advertise up to 3, and many people have had signs up longer unlaminated. But as long as it's not in searing desert sun, or getting danced on the ink should be fine.

Now, having said that, you will find applying unlaminated vinyl to coroplast will be quite a challenge unless you've got a really good technique. Depending on ink coverage, the print can stretch and warp fairly easy. You may end up laminating for your sanity, not necessarily for the customer's benefit.

J Hill Designs

way longer than campaign signs need to last

edit: for flatbed printing, make sure they company uses opaque coroplast, or it will look like crap and be unreadable with sun behind it..
the only wholesale direct to coro company i know that uses opaque as a standard is signs365

DesireeM

Now, having said that, you will find applying unlaminated vinyl to coroplast will be quite a challenge unless you've got a really good technique. Depending on ink coverage, the print can stretch and warp fairly easy. You may end up laminating for your sanity, not necessarily for the customer's benefit.

We use a Rolls Roller. Low pressure and we are golden for unlaminated vinyl...high pressure and it's ripples everywhere.

DesireeM

way longer than campaign signs need to last

edit: for flatbed printing, make sure they company uses opaque coroplast, or it will look like crap and be unreadable with sun behind it..
the only wholesale direct to coro company i know that uses opaque as a standard is signs365

Great tip. Thanks!

Biker Scout

Yeah, I was going to say "OR a roller laminator table" But very few people have them. And many on here don't think they are worth the money. So I never bring it up.

JgS

No way I would print and apply 500 yard signs. outsourcing is the way to go on this one. check out signs365, signs2trade, or firesprint.

gnatt66

oracal 3164 goes on coro like butter untaped and unlaminated. i'd farm out an order that big however.

DesireeM

Yeah, I was going to say "OR a roller laminator table" But very few people have them. And many on here don't think they are worth the money. So I never bring it up.

It blows me away that anyone thinks it's not worth the money. We laminate and apply everything with our roller. It is invaluable to us. Gets the job done in less than half the time.

Biker Scout

I think it's an 'Murican thing, wanting to do everything yourself. From what I've found about applicator tables is that they sell like hotcakes worldwide... except for the States. Small sign shops only see the price tag, and overlook the overall productivity and time savings they actually offer directly to the bottom line. ROI is outstanding on an applicator tables.

petepaz

you could do the job how ever you are conformable doing it but if the print is spot colors (and usually is with political signs) don't know how you could digital print and mount to coro cheaper than silk screening them. you could sub that job out and make a good amount of money with only sending a few emails and some paperwork.

2B

you could do the job how ever you are conformable doing it but if the print is spot colors (and usually is with political signs) don't know how you could digital print and mount to coro cheaper than silk screening them. you could sub that job out and make a good amount of money with only sending a few emails and some paperwork.

+1

at the QTY it is much easier and cheaper to screen print and even better outsource leaving you doing other jobs

DesireeM

That's most likely the route we'll be taking. Thanks,

player

I think it's an 'Murican thing, wanting to do everything yourself. From what I've found about applicator tables is that they sell like hotcakes worldwide... except for the States. Small sign shops only see the price tag, and overlook the overall productivity and time savings they actually offer directly to the bottom line. ROI is outstanding on an applicator tables.

Why did the USA move all their manufacturing offshore if it is an American thing to build everything themselves?

Biker Scout

Please... night and day difference between large corporate entities beholden to shareholders and small business owners. See how hard it is for most on here to relinquish jobs to outsourcing, even if it the wisest solution?

Speedsterbeast

I just got an EZY Taper delivered Monday. Certainly not as fancy as the Rolls Roller, but unbelievably fast for applying vinyl. Price was hard to justify, but for a young shop like mine, I now have a laminator, application tool, taper, and even a removal tool for protective film on polymetal. I too would do the job myself now

A2Z

Signtec 360 LLC

+1 for Rollsroller just got mine Friday and it's the best tool in my shop hands down. I just got finished doing 50 2x4 coroplast signs front and back after stopping and taking care of customers and daily duties.

Mosh

I bet Firesprint can print them cheaper than you can buy the materials for...just give them a call!

fozzie

I bet Firesprint can print them cheaper than you can buy the materials for...just give them a call!

+1. Use firesprint. They do great work. Add you markup, collect check, do the things you can do at higher margin.