• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Unrolling backing from laminator

formanek

Okay.... No laminator forum so here seems best.

Seal laminator.... how does everyone get the backing paper off the lam roller once the roll is empty? :doh:

LenR

I use a "BowTie" to tape the release liner to the take-up. When I'm done I remove the take-up and grab the roll near the bow-tie and reverse twist till the bow-tie detaches. then I slide the whole roll off the take-up.
This leaves me with a nice clean roll of liner FWIW:)

Letterbox Mike

We do more or less the same thing, twist the plastic tube backwards and the backing paper typically loosens up enough that you can pull the tube out and break the tape and get the backing off in one roll.

I really wish seal would have made the takeup another core holder like the laminate and feed roll holders instead of that stupid plastic tube. That way you could just stick a cardboard core on there, and when it's full pull the whole core off and pitch it in the dumpster...

Centro Graphics

I use a "BowTie" to tape the release liner to the take-up. When I'm done I remove the take-up and grab the roll near the bow-tie and reverse twist till the bow-tie detaches. then I slide the whole roll off the take-up.

Sounds interesting, drawing? photo?

We just take the roll outside and unwind on the concrete ground, its kind of fun (sad yeah) until the wind gets it and its wrestle time in the yard.

Only this if its a large amount and if we are getting close to using all empty cores.

formanek

I really wish seal would have made the takeup another core holder like the laminate and feed roll holders instead of that stupid plastic tube. That way you could just stick a cardboard core on there, and when it's full pull the whole core off and pitch it in the dumpster...

:rock-n-roll::banghead:

formanek

:help

pjfmeister

We just tip the plastic core on end and drop it on the floor...the jarring loosens the liner and just slide the entire roll off...

We have the seal base 62, we use a core on the backing paper roller. We put a rubber band around the plastic roller first and then slide the core over it. It holds it in place and keeps it tight.

xanderortiz

I put an empty core on the take-up roller and tape the leading edge of the laminate to it. I actually leave the core on the roller forever. After each lam job, I unravel the backing, bunch it up, and trash it. When I'm using the Seal machine for mounting only, I remove the entire roll (leaving the core still on). In over a year now, I'm using the same core. It's so simple that I had no idea people battled this issue. :D

anotherdog

The base of our are just heavy cores the banner comes on. We have a ton of these lying round. Just slide the big roll of backing off the laminator core and all and drop a new one in. Our local recycling has deemed the backing paper is garbage so once every few months we take a huge trailer load to the dump.

Do people really spend time unrolling hundreds of feet of paper...what do you do with it then?

I will say that by the time I get round to taking it off it weighs over 200lbs.

MikePro

That way you could just stick a cardboard core on there, and when it's full pull the whole core off and pitch it in the dumpster...

that's what I do! the plastic tube on my take-up (seal 54") is removable, and all I have to do is stomp on the center of a cardboard tube and slide it on. (creasing the tube gives it a snug-fit, and the friction needed to pull the liner off the laminate)

when my take-up fills-up, approx. every 3-4 rolls of lam, I just remove the plastic tube and slide the cardboard tube full of backing paper off.

omgsideburns

tiny piece of tape when i attach it to the roll, run like normal, then when it's finished I can tape off the roll, and twist it in reverse to snap the tape off on the roll and slide it off.

I only do this because my take up is a 2" core, but everything else is 3" and I don't get new 2" cores ever.