• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Unusual (maybe) mounting options

jimbug72

Was hoping for some idears for a project I'm working on for a local boat manufacturer. They are looking to spruce up the entrance area of their front office and they have asked me to carve various regional saltwater fish and mount them in the railing of the steps. I'm looking for ideas/suggestions for mounting the fish and if I'm super lucky, some suggestions for a supplier for said mounts.

I figure there has to be something that already exists for lighting or display rack signage or something along those lines. I've attached some photos of the railing, and my loose concept for a mounting solution.

It's also worth bearing in mind that the mounting solution isn't really my problem, that they said all they expected of me was the carvings, and that they could mount them but the ideas they were spit balling sounded dumb to me, as they were trying to figure out a way to rig up something that drilled all the way through the fish with a rod running through the top rail to bottom rail.

I'd prefer to come up a solution where all they have to do is write me a check when the job is complete and not wreck my carvings trying to drill all the way through them.

The square tubing that I'm looking to attach the mount to is 1.5"
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpeg
Mounting-Concept.jpg

Billct2

Carved wood? Hope they are real solid and mounted well. I think you have the right idea for mounting but doubt you will find them premade.

jimbug72

Carved wood? Hope they are real solid and mounted well. I think you have the right idea for mounting but doubt you will find them premade.
Yeah, they will essentially be double sided relief carvings from a sold plank of rought cut 2" lumber. The pectoral fins will be against the body and not protruding so they wont snag on anything. The dorsal, anal and tail fins will be around 1/4" - 1/2" thick.

Edited to add: Even though it's their main entrance, it's also not a high traffic area. The employees mainly use the warehouse entrance except for the reception staff and two salesmen and most of their business is conducted via phone/internet.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Aren't railings in/on stairways for a reason ?? To assist people going up or down stairs ?? They'd be in the way and most likely played around with by certain individuals. I realize, that's none of your concern, but it is in your best interest to address it with them and look for a better home for these wooden fish or foam, which would be even worse where lotsa people are gonna be touching them.

jimbug72

Aren't railings in/on stairways for a reason ?? To assist people going up or down stairs ?? They'd be in the way and most likely played around with by certain individuals. I realize, that's none of your concern, but it is in your best interest to address it with them and look for a better home for these wooden fish or foam, which would be even worse where lotsa people are gonna be touching them.
There honestly is very little traffic through there. This is mostly to appease the owner. The fish won't be on the actual stair case. Just on the top area/mezzanine and the landing platform where the stairs turn 90 degrees.

petepaz

maybe a wooden plank attached to the outer portion of the railing with brackets and the fish can be screwed to the plank from the back side.
maybe that will be a little out of reach from the passer byers

Attachments

• fish mount.jpg
    fish mount.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 55

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If it's hardly anyone there, why not mount them on the side facing the visitors from below and just fasten them to the front of the uprights. You could use a plate and screw through the bottom or wire them fast from the uprights.
salt water fish.jpg

jimbug72

Mounting on the uprights was my initial suggestion, but they specifically want them to be double sided with an unobstructed view from both sides in those gaps.

jimbug72

When they want the expensive route and are willing to pay, then...... they're right. Just cash that check before the ink dries.
I agree, and as mentioned in the OP, the mount isn't really required of me. They just want the fish from me. I'm just trying to offer them a better solution to their current plan, should they want to take my suggestion.

gnubler

You said "anal" ... :D

I like Gino's idea better. Mounting them atop the railing seems like a safety hazard and more likely to get damaged.

jimbug72

You said "anal" ... :D

I like Gino's idea better. Mounting them atop the railing seems like a safety hazard and more likely to get damaged.
Me too, but unfortunately the folks who are making these decisions do not. My hope here isn't to figure out the best place to mount the fish, but the best way to mount the fish in the area in which said fish must be mounted. Once again, I can just hand them the fish and walk away with a check. I'm okay with letting it be their problem. I was just hoping some of the clever folks in this forum could help me come up with a better mounting option for them.

Last edited:

gnubler

I hear you. Since "the customer is the boss", just give them what they ask for and let them deal with the rest. I wonder how long until some kid pierces his hand with a jabby tail fin, or someone's purse strap gets caught on it and rips the whole thing down.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
maybe a wooden plank attached to the outer portion of the railing with brackets and the fish can be screwed to the plank from the back side.
maybe that will be a little out of reach from the passer byers
With this, they could hook them up so their heads turned and welcomed visitors every time the door opened.