• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Upgraded to Lion OS - Am I screwed?

MariaMartini

Without even thinking I upgraded to Lion. Adobe CS2 is no longer compatible so I upgraded to CS5, but still Graphtec hasn't made Lion compatible plug-ins. Anything I can do while retaining Lion?

** I have discovered that they are working on a compatible plug-in that will release mid November **

GypsyGraphics

yikes... was about to upgrade myself. i upgrade only one system and run it for several weeks to resolve any compatibility issues.

i wish i had the answer for you Maria. i'll be watching this thread to see if anyone else does. i have a Graphtec as well.

MariaMartini

Thanks! I wish I did not upgrade. I had Leopard and it was a pain to upgrade anyway, because I had to buy a Snow Leopard disk and then download Lion. I don't know what I am going to do without a plotter for 3 months.

njshorts

Did you make a backup? You can restore your Leopard install using your original disk and latest time machine backup.

John Butto

Partition your hard drive and leave Lion on 1 part and the OS that you were using on the other. All you have to do is go to System Preferences / Start up disk and pick which one you need hit restart and you are back to old system to run your software. Go to the Apple help website and you will find out how easy it is. I do this on my other MacBook Pro that has three partitions for old software that only runs on old OS's.

MariaMartini

Partition your hard drive and leave Lion on 1 part and the OS that you were using on the other. All you have to do is go to System Preferences / Start up disk and pick which one you need hit restart and you are back to old system to run your software. Go to the Apple help website and you will find out how easy it is. I do this on my other MacBook Pro that has three partitions for old software that only runs on old OS's.

Very good to know, I will look into this! Thanks :)

MariaMartini

Did you make a backup? You can restore your Leopard install using your original disk and latest time machine backup.

Of course I didn't. Lol. I've never used time machine because I don't have an external hard drive. I need one to do that, right? I also know I should have an external hard drive but it's one of those things... maybe I can get a good deal on one this holiday season.

Mainframe

Maria, Maria, Maria, You must use time machine!!! Time machine is the easiest way to backup I have seen, just plug it in before you go home at night, wait a few minutes and take it with you.

You can get a deal on a portable hard drive in Walmart or any Staples etc.
Back up your work!

njshorts

Of course I didn't. Lol. I've never used time machine because I don't have an external hard drive. I need one to do that, right? I also know I should have an external hard drive but it's one of those things... maybe I can get a good deal on one this holiday season.

they're cheap, even now!

example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136587

I've got 2 of those and many of my clients have them for their backup and time machine drives. I also keep a 250GB WD passport for carbon copy cloner.

If you don't mind having a bare drive being out (and the static issue...) you can get a USB-sata dock for 10 bucks and buy a larger internal drive for 50-70$.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I wouldn't run your OS on an external hard drive. I don't think the USB ports of most externals have the same speed as an internal drive

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Another problem is to look at the external this way... You likely use an external as a time machine backup. By having your os and backups on the same drive then what happens when the hard drive goes bad? Usually your backup and your main HD are 2 separate physical drives. A partition is simply the same HD that may look like 2 hard drives on your desktop/os but are in fact the same physical HD

MariaMartini

I'm scared of partitioning my current hard drive, I'm afraid that even if I back it up, I will mess something up and lose everything. Should I stop being chicken?

MariaMartini

It will cost you, but you can also call a professional, use someone LOCAL not the geek squad. :)

I know that Geek Squad SUCKS! They wiped my friends computer by accident. My husband can probably do it, while I probably can too, just chicken. I'll probably do it anyway. Wish me luck! I ordered an external hard drive, so I will be giving this a try in 3-5 days.

SignaramaFL

I know that Geek Squad SUCKS! They wiped my friends computer by accident. My husband can probably do it, while I probably can too, just chicken. I'll probably do it anyway. Wish me luck! I ordered an external hard drive, so I will be giving this a try in 3-5 days.

Good Luck! :)

John Butto

Would not run your OS from and external hard drive but to partition is very easy. Use to have to do that on the MacPlus years ago. You just have to follow the instructions given and it will give you some good knowledge of the system. Go to the www.iomega.com for a usb pocket size external.

MariaMartini

Thanks everyone for all of your help. I will definitely give it more thought before upgrading operating systems in the future.

I just wanted to let everyone know that I successfully partitioned my hard drive and I am now running Snow Leopard on one partition and Lion on the other. I am once again able to use my plotter! Yea!