• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Upgrading from 8.1 to 8.5

LittleSnakey

We recently purchased Flexi 8.1 with key and just recieved our upgrade disks to 8.5.

How hard is the upgrade?
Are there any known issues with 8.5?

Just trying to eliminate any possible down time.
Thanks
Paul

gvgraphics

Ive been running 8.5 for a month or so now and haven't had any issues with it. I am sure there are still some bugs in it but none that I have found yet.

GTSTech_1

Only known problem I have had installing flexi8.5, was 8.5 completely wiped out my customers profiles from flexi 7.6. By wiped out, I mean completely deleted them from the hard drive.

Would save all your profiles onto a CD/DVD or external hard drive (not connected to your workstation/network ). Then install software. After install you can convert your old (legacy) profiles to 8.5. After converting you may have to tweak the profile, no major adjustments.

Good Luck!!!

LittleSnakey

Thanks for the input,
Still haven't upgraded yet.

I know about the key not working after upgrading, our computer is not connected to the internet so I will have to get a connection first.

OneUpTenn

I upgraded last week sometime and I do not like it. I see no real difference (other than a slightly faster rip ) but all kinds of little problems. I guess "if it ain't broke dont fix it" applies here.

Matthew Scher

I would be very interested to hear the problems you came across with the upgrade, no matter how minor. Feel free to email directly, or post the list here and we will look at addressing all for the next service pack.

Matthew Scher

Flexi 8.5 has an auto-update function, so not only are service packs free, they are automatically detected so you can choose to download them and have them install.

LittleSnakey

Thank you Matt.:cool1:
We have been real busy at the shop and I an wanting to wait till things slow up a little cause I cannot afford any down time. I will let you guys know if I have any problems.

DRPSignsNGrafix

I have been using 8.5 now since thanksgiving. Havent found any bugs yet. Like the fact of no doggle needed. Just make sure when i leave the shop i hit the Transfer license button, then if i need to work from home i can. No problem.

Flame

Ah, have to go online to get it to work. Lovely.

What about us who like to keep our work stations off the web to keep out viruses and such, what do we do then?

8.0 now. Next Flexi upgrade in this shop will be selling it on ebay and finding a new RIP program.

Matthew Scher

There is an option when you get 8.5 to use softkey or hardkey. You can use it either way. So if you have a shop without an internet connection on the production machine, then the hardkey option is for your.

On the other hand if you don't want to worry about losing the key, or having it get damaged, then softkey is best. By default, we use softkey as it is more flexible and can be re-generated in case of loss or damage to the PC.

Rodan68

So I just received my 8.5 disks. Backed up my profiles, went through the install process and after it finished I don't see the program anywhere nor did any registration screen come up. Am I supposed to remove 8.1 first? Remove the dongle first? I see a SAI folder in the the Program files but shouldn't a shortcut to 8.5 be made on my desktop? 8.1 is still running though. Is there some install instructions available somewhere?

Rodan68

I think I got it. I had to go to Install Manager and enter a password. (number on box) and then I got to the registration and dongle deactivation screens. My bad.

Matthew Scher

At the end of install, the "Install Manager" should appear and allow you to put in your password (try alt-tab to find it). Only after you put in the password are shortcuts created.

If you don't see this you can run install manager manually from C:\Program Files\SAi\SAi Production Suite1\Program\Install Manager.exe

Rodan68

Do 8.1 profiles have to be converted from legacy format through the color profiler or just imported from the file menu?

LittleSnakey

There is an option when you get 8.5 to use softkey or hardkey. You can use it either way. So if you have a shop without an internet connection on the production machine, then the hardkey option is for your.

On the other hand if you don't want to worry about losing the key, or having it get damaged, then softkey is best. By default, we use softkey as it is more flexible and can be re-generated in case of loss or damage to the PC.

Matt,
I upgraded on saturday, I did not see any place to reuse my usb key. I think at this point I am not using it but I would like to.

Also I was getting a fatal error, I took a screen shot but don't have it with me right now. I will post it later tonight. The Fatal error would shut flexi right down if you hit ok, but IF I did nothing it would actually work. While having this problem all of my Flexi files got deleted mysteriously.

I updated my licence for Flexi and the fatal error stopped. Then reloaded my files from back-up at that point it was time to go.

Can I use the USB key?
Thanks
Paul