• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

upgrading my computer. any advise?

Christian @ 2CT Media

One problem with that previous configuration is the mixture of an Intel Xeon class processor with a desktop series chipset and standard desktop non-ECC RAM. That will not work. While yes the Xeon and the motherboard are both LGA 1155, the motherboard is definitely not a business class desktop motherboard, and is not a server-grade chipset that will run a Xeon chip, they use different memory controller configurations and have access to different PCI-Express slots and additional compatibility differences.

Yes, on a server-series LGA1155 chipset, like the C202, C204, or C206 you can put in desktop series Core i3 processor, but the reverse is not true for the desktop chipset motherboards. Additionally, on a C202, C204, or C206 chipset motherboard you can run non-ECC memory if you're running a Core i3 processor, but stepping to any Xeon processor requires either ECC Unbuffered or ECC Registered memory depending upon the chipset series and processor series. This is true for any server-class processor.

That Xeon (As all Xeon E3 series upto the 1280 both Sandy/Ivy Bridge versions do) is 100% compatible with the ASRock motherboard listed. I know because I have one. Also, the ECC ram requirement is bogus as that very system that I have has 32gb of the Ram listed in the specs I provided. Also the ASRock board is marketed/sold as a professional/business class motherboard for the H-series chipset... Its not a workstation/server class board at all though, which just means it can handle ECC memory and PCI bus functions not available to desktops series like mentioned.

All of the is straight out of the box to running no tweaks, bios, etc required.

choucove

That Xeon (As all Xeon E3 series upto the 1280 both Sandy/Ivy Bridge versions do) is 100% compatible with the ASRock motherboard listed. I know because I have one. Also, the ECC ram requirement is bogus as that very system that I have has 32gb of the Ram listed in the specs I provided. Also the ASRock board is marketed/sold as a professional/business class motherboard for the H-series chipset... Its not a workstation/server class board at all though, which just means it can handle ECC memory and PCI bus functions not available to desktops series like mentioned.

All of the is straight out of the box to running no tweaks, bios, etc required.

Ah I apologize, after doing some digging I see that ASRock does list Xeon E3 support on their manufacturer's list for this board. In fact they're about the only one that does have support this way. All chipsets before this did not have compatibility like this because the Xeon processor required ECC Unbuffered or ECC Registered memory to run (depending upon the processor generation.) That is quite nice to hear, though, as the Xeon class has some really great performance capabilities for a decent price, but there are not as many server-class boards out there for them to make a solid and affordable system.

I'm sorry for the claims, I didn't realize that this compatibility had been listed on these ASRock motherboards.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Yeah its what I recommend to people for solid performing computers... Also the nice thing is the new IvyBridge Xeons run about 5-7 degrees cooler than the desktop counterparts.

Its no problem, because you are speaking truths about how it used to be since sandybridge intel has been loosening up the grips on xeons to make them more accessible to desktop users.

premiercolour

Merchant Member
I think we have some serious computer people here.

For me, I go to slickdeals.net, one person posted, many good/bad comments follow. If it is fairly 80% good feedbacks, i go onto the link, make sure they are local and returnable. Buy it and forget it. Not using them for video gaming or anything serious. I say processor of i3, 6gb ram, 500g hd is all I need.

Christian @ 2CT Media

My Exact system I used as a reference is:
ASRock H77 Pro-4 MATX Motherboard
Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 w/ Corsair H60 Watercooling
32GB Mushkin DDR3-1333
240GB Mushkin Chronos SSD - Sys Drive
120GB Mushkin Chronos SSD - Working Drive
120GB Mushkin Chronos SSD - Onyx Drive
(4) 1TB Samsung F3 HDD in Raid 10 - Storage
4650 Radeon EVGA Video Card
Corsair CX600 Power Supply
Rosewill Redbone Case
Windows 7 64-Bit

The system has been gutted for the new LGA2011 Build and the motherboard and CPU re-purposed as a HTPC.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Whats the difference with ecc and non ecc ram?

All this is, is a error correction tool for servers.... it prevents bad bits in the memory which could be a potential system crash. It was developed and designed for computers that see access from multiple points in the 100K plus I/O count range, these systems have data that is manipulated so often in memory that there is lots of room for memory failure and system crashing which is very very bad when you are talking about data centers.

ironchef

Ok so how do i find out what my i7 takes? It came with 8 gbs. So I'm looking to expand to 16 or 32gb.

Christian @ 2CT Media

If its an i7 it does not utilize ECC. The only way to see if you can expand beyond 16gb is if the motherboard has 4 ram slots, if it only has 2 ram slots you are stuck at the 16gb level in that machine which is more than enough for most users.

ironchef

It has four. One of the things i looked for was the option to go up to 32 gb. I have 16 gb on my amd phenom 2. And i thought it was fast till i hooked up the i7 with 8 gb. I wonder how much 32gb of ram would do

choucove

2CT, how has that Corsair H60 been performing for you? So far we have not used any of those, we've just ordered H80 units when they come up for a promotional discount, but I'm curious how the H60 would compare especially since I can order them through a distributor for about half the cost of the H80!

I'm glad to see that the Intel Xeon processors are starting to get more market penetration in the entry-level workstation and even the desktop environment because they really are great processors! Still, in most situations that I start looking at a Xeon class processor as a possibility for a computer system, I'm really heavily considering just an HP Z-series workstation or ProLiant for a server simply because for the price they offer some wonderful options, are built incredibly well, and I don't have to worry about compatibility, testing, etc. because it's all ready to go. I don't always trust pre-built systems, especially consumer grade systems, but HP workstation class systems really are quite impressive, and I believe when our sign shop upgrades again we will slowly migrate to an HP environment for uniformity and support. While I very much enjoy that I can assemble and back my own equipment there, the fact that I can help eliminate my own responsibility for warranty work and driver support on the systems is a nice little relief.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Haven't been a fan of the H60... for $5.00 more the thermaltake is way outperforming it, it keeps the i7-3930K at 49 degrees under most loads (4gb Photoshop file with over 100 layers).

The performance per dollar of the Xeon is way better than the i7 line, also couple that with the fact that they run cooler and are mostly sans GPU means it saves money on energy also. HP's are phenomenal business class computers, and if their workstation selections work for your needs it just plain makes sense when combined with their warranties.

Scott Reynolds

Speaking of updating computers. This morning when I went into my shop, I found a new computer and monitors on the bench. Let me see if I can list whats here.

Corsair Graphite Series 600T Mid-Tower Gaming Case
ASUS M4A89TD PRO MB
AMD Phenom II X4 975 3.6 (black)
GeForce GTX 550 Ti
CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB X2
Crucial 256GB SATA III (SSD)
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s X2
ViewSonic 23.5" wide screen monitors X2
Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse
D-link Wireless N 300
New copy of Windows 7 Pro
New copy of MS office

There was a small note stuck to one of the monitors from my brother saying, "my wife will be out of town for 5 days, she needs some door dings fixed on her car"

No problem, I'll fix some door dings for a new computer! :clapping:

Im still sitting here loading drivers and software. Sweet.

The only real problem is my Flexi Pro dongle is the old LTP. Guess Im going to have to get the USB upgrade.

Techman

Guess Im going to have to get the USB upgrade.

It is likely that board will have a lpt header on board. All you may need is a lpt cable and the insert. The LPT header may not be listed on the box but will be mentioned in the manual .

Scott Reynolds

I dont think about that, I will look into that after Vegas 11 installs. I was going to upgrade from 7.5.5 to 10 anyway. If I remember right, they want $50 extra to upgrade the dongle. At least it was $50 when I upgraded from 6.X to 7.5. Thanks.

ironchef

Darn. That's cheap? Omega upgrade is like 4 bills. And just the dongle is over a grand! Flexi is slowly calling my name. Lol

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
That's cost is addition to the 7.6 to 10.5 upgrade cost which is well over a grand I think.

WildWestDesigns

Hey, that's still cheap. Upgrades on my program is a grand for one generation. Add a grand to each generation back that you are for 3 generations. More then 3 generation it's the whole she-bang and you don't want that bill.