• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

UPS Is Unbelievable!!!

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
On the phone with them now about a package....8ft long banner...that shipped on the 27th and arrived the 29th. According to their terms and conditions...packages that require an oversize surcharge are NOT eligible for service delay refunds. So, after speaking to 2 managers, the rate was reduced from $118 to $22 and change. So not only do they still get $$$ from me but IM still having to deal with an upset client and he has to deal with his upset client as well.
I just dont understand WHY they dont give 2 Sh**ts about small companies.
We count on them to get our stuff where it has to be ON TIME but UPS and even to a point FedEx doesnt seem to truly care about us.
This was not the way to start off a week.

parrott

Found a $400 questionable shipment on last weeks invoice and called customer service. This is the second questionable charge like that in one month. Somebody has been over nighting auto parts on our UPS account. I was told they would block it after the first call but of course they didn't. I asked the CSR to review all past invoices charges by this company. They found several from last Sept. and Oct., but said they could not refund the charges since they are over 100 days. Check your statements closely people!

Letterbox Mike

Yeah, they're rough sometimes. We still use them because FedEx around here is even worse amazingly.

Last Thursday we had 9 boxes of banners going out (each box was about 24"x24"x48", and had 40 banners in each). We didn't finish boxing them until after our UPS driver came for the afternoon pickup so we had to run them down the the local hum (which is about 4 blocks down the street from us). We were all scrambling to meet other deadlines so we loaded three boxes at a time in the back of my truck and sent Missy, our graphic designer down to UPS to drop them off.

Missy is about 135lbs soaking wet, so these boxes are hard for her to handle. We figured she'd get there and one of the counter workers at UPS would help her get them out of the truck... Yeah, right. She got there and both counter employees were standing outside smoking. Missy went in and got a cart (they have 4-wheeled carts to help move boxes around) and asked one of them if they would help her get the boxes out of the truck and onto the cart. Their response was "if you don't pay for a pickup we won't help you unload". Mind you this was a $600-ish shipment anyway, I'd think that's enough for one of their employees to spend 5 minutes helping move boxes 3' but I guess not.

Still better than FedEx though. Amazingly.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
I have found in the past that Fedex was more Amicable in correcting billing issues with mis-shipped or late packages that UPS is.

anotherdog

okay, here is a little one...
ups keeps dinging me $9.99 surcharge for "container not wrapped in cardboard".
apparently they don't count a cardboard shipping tube as a shippable container and it needs special handling. I send out a lot of these tubes and about 1 in 10 gets this nuisance charge and I spend 40 minutes navigating billing to reverse the charge.

Letterbox Mike

okay, here is a little one...
ups keeps dinging me $9.99 surcharge for "container not wrapped in cardboard".
apparently they don't count a cardboard shipping tube as a shippable container and it needs special handling. I send out a lot of these tubes and about 1 in 10 gets this nuisance charge and I spend 40 minutes navigating billing to reverse the charge.

They upcharge you for items shipped in round tubes because they roll around in the trucks or on the plane and it takes extra work to secure them. We learned this the hard way when we shipped out an order of 100 posters to 100 different locations in tubes...

skyhigh

8ft long banner...that shipped on the 27th and arrived the 29th. According to their terms and conditions...packages that require an oversize surcharge are NOT eligible for service delay refunds. So, after speaking to 2 managers, the rate was reduced from $118 to $22 and change.

I assume this was a "Next Day" shipment?

Sounds like "fine print" BS on UPS's part. That sucks.

Also sounds like Poor Planning on the customers part.

Justin

Missy is about 135lbs soaking wet, so these boxes are hard for her to handle. We figured she'd get there and one of the counter workers at UPS would help her get them out of the truck... Yeah, right. She got there and both counter employees were standing outside smoking. Missy went in and got a cart (they have 4-wheeled carts to help move boxes around) and asked one of them if they would help her get the boxes out of the truck and onto the cart. Their response was "if you don't pay for a pickup we won't help you unload". Mind you this was a $600-ish shipment anyway, I'd think that's enough for one of their employees to spend 5 minutes helping move boxes 3' but I guess not.

Still better than FedEx though. Amazingly.

That's just freaking ridiculous. I mean me as a human being would help someone do that without even needing to be paid, or asking to be paid. Sad.. Sad.. Sad..

Mosh

Never have a problem in 24 years....I in fact have my UPS man's cell number and
I can call him to get my stuff delivered early (normal is 1:00).

Letterbox Mike

That's just freaking ridiculous. I mean me as a human being would help someone do that without even needing to be paid, or asking to be paid. Sad.. Sad.. Sad..

It is sad. Our sales rep is awesome, we're not a big volume shipper by any means but he always bends over backwards for us. Our drivers are great also, very helpful and they're always willing to go out of their way as well. But their counter workers at the hub are beyond laughable. I've been in there hundreds of times over the years and literally never seen them doing ANYTHING at all. They even have a TV in there and they watch soap operas all day long. It's self-serve for the most part, they have computers where customers weigh their packages and create their own labels. The only thing the help there is supposed to do is take the packages and put the on the conveyor that goes to the back, but usually they're just sitting around and the packages are just stacked up on the counter and on the floor by customers. I've been there many times where there's nowhere for me to put the package and I end up just walking it around to the conveyor myself because they're not getting up to help...

Sad sad sad...

SD&F

I personally think they are both terrible. We have gone between UPS and Fed-Ex for the last 12 years and eventually they start to make one mistake after another. I have to really keep an eye out on every invoice that comes in. When I am over-charged for something I have to spend valuable time on the phone waiting for someone. I have been with Fed-Ex and find that the driver or rep. can make the difference. Then they change and you start all over again. T

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
I assume this was a "Next Day" shipment?

Sounds like "fine print" BS on UPS's part. That sucks.

Also sounds like Poor Planning on the customers part.

Thats the exact statement I got from UPS....its their fine print. As for poor planning, not really...it was as Rush job to begin with and we expected UPS to simply do the job they were expected to do.

mark galoob

It sounds to me like the problems peeps have w ups and FedEx is mostly due to ignorance on the shippers part. If you don't know there policies ans procedures it's not ups or FedEx fault its yours. If ur gonna be a shipper learn to ship. Or don't complain when your ignorance bites you.

Mark Galoob

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
I dont think its Ignorance of the policies for UPS and FedEx Mark. When a package is LEFT in a Sorting Center for no apparently good reason, and the client is telling you to go screw off....because I of course had something to do with the ups employee leaving a tube laying against a pole possibly and going out for a ciggie. UPS should look at their internal policies and reprimand the person who left the package at the origin location and gave me a 3 excedrin headache to deal with. I along with many other people here USED to work for UPS once upon a time. I remember how I packed a truck at first....just threw the crap in and hope nothing broke! I did realize after a while, I should handle packages with a certain level of care. It would be nice if the people on the other end of the phone went out on a limb and made it sound like they gave 2 sh**s as well.

showcase 66

My normal UPS driver is awesome here. If he sees me driving first thing in the morning he will call me up to see if I want my package now instead of when he shows up at my place.

However Billing sucks. I keep getting little charges here and there for odd things. My biggest gripe is the drivers who cover when my driver is off.

I had a package being picked up today. The guy shows up, not the normal one, picks up the package goes outside and starts talking to one of my customers. He leaves and about an hour later I went out front to get the mail and the package he picked up is on top of the half wall where he was talking with my client.

That pissed me off.