• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

UPS Strike

victor bogdanov

My UPS driver today said "we are definitely going on strike for at least a week on Aug 1st and they (union leadership) have already told us where to park the trucks and other stuff on how the strike will go, some of my larger pickups already switched to fedex for now". Driver sounded like he didn't want the strike to go through but doesn't have much choice.

30 minutes after the convo I saw a news article saying UPS and Union are back to negotiations.

I doubt it will happen but I did log into my fedex account just in case, but not like fedex will be able to handle double their usual volume

What's everyone's plan in case the strike happens (I doubt it will), will be a huge disruption to all package deliveries.

Pretty much anything shipped next week could get stuck in transit if strike happens

Ready for another shipping price increase soon, someone has to pay for the unions ask. The workers will get more pay out of this put will pay more themselves when they go to shop.... more inflation

https://www.reuters.com/business/re...ups-teamster-talks-deadline-looms-2023-07-19/

rossmosh

UPS has to tell their workers to get ready to strike. It's supposed to scare us into calling UPS to complain so that there's more pressure to finalized the deal. Also, it's just to get them mentally ready to strike.

It's impossible to say if they'll get a deal done. I think they'll get a deal done at the last minute, but literally no one knows.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I think that was his point. :toasting:

Cripes, I remember a bucha guys putting their change together and getting over 3 gallons of gas for a dollar. We could cruise all night on that..... even in those big 8 cylinder aircraft carriers.

FedEx Ground 1000% cannot handle the demand they already have. Expect 15 day east to west / west to east ground windows if this goes through.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I use YRC Freight and that company is about to go under. There are talks of a strike on Monday. I just setup an account at ABF Freight and shifting everything there. I'm wondering about the several thousand dollar cargo claims that have been approved for payment and I'm waiting on a check... If they file bankruptcy I don't know if I'll see that $$.

petepaz

we have always used both fed ex and ups. don't want to put all your eggs in one basket. also we have some customers give us their accounts to ship under so they can pay their negotiated rates.
we do that as well with some of our venders. the other thing is each company has their strengths and weaknesses. for some reason fed ex is more reliable with next day shipments than ups and ups is better with ground shipments.
ups delivers to us approx 10am and picks up around 5pm that works good for us so we get materials from venders and items from customers early and then we have literally till the end of day to get jobs done in time to ship.
where as fed ex comes at 4:30ish and delivers and picks up at same time unless a package is shipped next day also we have to drop off our next day fed ex shipments at a local hub because our normal fed ex delivery person will not take next day deliveries

DL Signs

Never go against the family
If you think about how much total value is sitting on every UPS truck, train, plane, ship, in distribution and transfer hubs... How much of it is time sensitive, perishable... I'd think shutting it all down for a strike would be financial suicide for them. How many long term large customers that have high dollars at stake would just tell them to go pound sand for the stab in the back of hijacking their products, and just use someone else going forward. My guess is they'll come back with a last second negotiation settlement, more geared towards jacking their bottom line than to cover the cost involved in satisfying the demands of the union, then try to convince customers it's somehow a win for them :rolleyes:

victor bogdanov

Union wants the UPS trucks to have AC.
My UPS driver said they are getting AC either way and it is in the works. Trucks have been getting ACs installed. He doesn't care too much for getting AC as the trucks get turned off every 2 minutes at stops and opening/closing doors will be a big slow down. Maybe if they did not have to turn the trucks off at stops AC would work way better

The sticking point is getting temporary workers starting pay from about $15 per hr to $20+ per hr

They are complaining about temp workers limited benefits while small businesses that ship with UPS don't have much as far as benefits go themselves, yet the small businesses will be the ones paying the biggest portion of the price increase brough on by the strike

Evan Gillette

Anybody else think this is another "fabricated crisis"? It doesn't make sense to even come close to a strike, there is so much money at stake UPS will just raise the rates as they have been. If it does go to a strike I would not be surprised if there is something else at play. I'm not a conspiracy guy, but it just makes no sense for a company of that size and with the market share. You can bet amazon is buying/leasing anything they can get their hands on right now.

victor bogdanov

You can bet amazon is buying/leasing anything they can get their hands on right now.
Amazon is cutting back, there are a few unfinished fulfilment centers in my area that they decided to not open. Amazon over estimated covid demand and went way too big. Amazon is also doing incentives and really asking 3rd party sellers to increase FBA use.

Amazon is doing everything possible to avoid their labor from unionizing and the UPS union leader said the UPS strike can be something that empowers other company workers to unionize etc etc.

Evan Gillette

Interesting, you would have a way better handle on that than me. It seems like I see several Amazon vans for every ups truck but then again that could be just because of how they have it setup.