• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Use of trademarked logos

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldPaint

First, I don't reproduce trademarks or copyrighted work. However, if I did, and a representative from one of those companies came into my shop to take my equipment, they would not be leaving with it.

That's not how the real world works.

And, there is no such protection as 'oh, I didn't get paid for it'. According to you, the Steelers can come take your truck, today.

oh mr tough guy??? right you got your ar-15 and they take that too))))
THAT IS HOW THE REAL WORLD WORKS!!!!!
in the situation of my truck..........#1 i live in pensacola. 1200 miles from pittsburgh. #2. I AM...NOT.... TRYING TO "MARKET" THEIR LOGO. this IS THE BIG ONE.......... it is on my personal vehicle....THEY would probably make me remove it....and i BUY a lot of STEELER logo stuff.

Attachments

• steelers jacket.jpg
    steelers jacket.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 78

Get Lucky

We print sled, bike and SxS wrap. When people ask us to add logos we make them do the leg work. I have them send me the files or get written permission from company to use the logo.

Companies like 509, Motorfist, Klim and FXR have no problem sending over the file with permission if the person is sponsored. Most of them do however provide strict guidelines of how their logo can be used.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Do you double as a barrister ??

I don't remember who said it, but do you really think they come to your door, knock on it and say..... alright hand it over ?? How frickin' dumb is that ??

When they arrive, they generally arrive in force and even if you have howitzers and a tank out back or in your garage, you ain't gonna be no match for them. I'm not saying they'll do that over a logo infringement, but you ain't gonna win no how..... no way............... Rambo. :ROFLMAO:

Desert_Signs

Do you double as a barrister ??

I don't remember who said it, but do you really think they come to your door, knock on it and say..... alright hand it over ?? How frickin' dumb is that ??

When they arrive, they generally arrive in force and even if you have howitzers and a tank out back or in your garage, you ain't gonna be no match for them. I'm not saying they'll do that over a logo infringement, but you ain't gonna win no how..... no way............... Rambo. :ROFLMAO:

In what world do you live in that you think a company can go into a business and confiscate equipment?

What does Rambo or guns have to do with anything?

Marlene

In what world do you live in that you think a company can go into a business and confiscate equipment?

look it up if you are too duh to believe any of us. they have shut down and taken equipment.

niksagkram

Wow, hot topic! :)

I don't know for sure, but, even in the US, where litigation seems to be a way of life, there must be a legal process both parties need to go through BEFORE such drastic actions are taken. Or am I wrong? I can't imagine anybody being allowed just to waltz into a place of business and take equipment. Due process has to be followed. But, I'm not a lawyer. :)

To be honest, I can't see a huge company, such as Disney say, chasing some Mom and Pop sign shop for putting Mickey Mouse on some kids bicycle, BUT, if Mom and Pop were selling quantities and profiting from Mickey, then I could see Disney asking them to cease production of the product. Once lawyers are involved though, watch out. They have to make their percentage! :)

JMHO

Mark

Gino

Premium Subscriber

Not that it really matters to you, as you don't seem to take any intelligent responses seriously, but I know/knew a guy where the government came to him and asked him nicely to cooperate and he said..... Get off my land. I know my rights. They left, but came right back a day later with an army. He had already hightailed it out of there. He lost his house, wife, family, business and everything he had. He fled to South America. This took place about 12 maybe 15 years ago. He has been back once to see what damage he caused. It was sickening. Had he cooperated, it would've been hard on him, and the rest thought so too. This way, all those who remained were made to pay his debts..... not by work or money, but humiliation and the kid's last name, they all changed them. He made a mess of things...... all cause he knew better..... not just the first time, but when he told them to leave. TWO STRIKES. Uncle Sam doesn't like that.
I know some others who have crossed paths in various businesses and it's usually not a happy ending.

But...... you know better so you just go on living in your trailer with the telescope out the roof in the middle of a desert saying..... they can't get to me dammit. I'll teach 'em a thing or two. Yep, I will. :cool:

OldPaint

bottom line is...........COPY WRITE INFRINGEMENT.......is not a smart thing to do. ESPECIALLY WHEN.. you decide to SELL THE COPY WRITTEN PRODUCT....thats when they get really nasty. so like many others here have expressed this TO YOU.......do what you want.......your gona anyway.........after wasting all of our good advice.

reQ

so like many others here have expressed this TO YOU.......do what you want.......your gona anyway.........after wasting all of our good advice.

Is this post for me? Is yes - i said before, i never did print anything copyrighted and never will.

Marlene

Wow, hot topic! :)

I don't know for sure, but, even in the US, where litigation seems to be a way of life, there must be a legal process both parties need to go through BEFORE such drastic actions are taken. Or am I wrong? I can't imagine anybody being allowed just to waltz into a place of business and take equipment. Due process has to be followed. But, I'm not a lawyer. :)

To be honest, I can't see a huge company, such as Disney say, chasing some Mom and Pop sign shop for putting Mickey Mouse on some kids bicycle, BUT, if Mom and Pop were selling quantities and profiting from Mickey, then I could see Disney asking them to cease production of the product. Once lawyers are involved though, watch out. They have to make their percentage! :)

JMHO

Mark

I think most of the data base was lost in the bog site crash or I'd say to a site search as links to news articles have been posted many times on the site about this very thing. Disney doesn't care how small you are. these people make a ton of money selling the images they own and have no plans of letting anyone else profit from them.

niksagkram

IMHO, as far as the OP's question goes, is it illegal for him to do this, then the answer is yes. Will the copyright owners go after him? Probably not. I think it all depends on whether or not the copyright owner feels that their logo/branding is being used appropriately or not, or that the person(s) using it illegally are making a healthy profit from marketing it. Doing one off wraps or back window decals probably won't even be on their radar, and may even enhance their presence in that local market. Free advertising! However, I can certainly see them doing something if, in their view, it is being used inappropriately. But, then again, I'm not a lawyer, or a large corporation that spends thousands of dollars on corporate branding.

JMHO.

Mark

Many years ago when Hubby was first starting out and was offering painted murals in children's rooms and play area's we contacted Disney and asked if we could demonstrate at a job fair painting a portable wall that he would work on at different shows with Disney characters, their reply was short and simple NO, you will be served with a cease and desist order and if we follow up and find that you painted it anyways you will be fined the value of the mural plus damages. They then went on to say if we would like to discuss a licencing agreement we could apply
Fast forward 10 years and I started a business to which I did go the route of getting licencing agreements with Warner Bros, Mattel, Disney, King Features and after the marketing firm embezzled all the funds from my company I was faced with law suits from all the above, they mean business, they have people that just do this for a living ( track you down) I am totally blessed that after doing the "my lawyer meets their lawyer" and the cards were on the table that the company was dead, due to the actions of the marketing fir, they did not proceed with the cases. Although we had product left we didn't sell it but gave it away to charity events where children needed to be entertained.
We are all guilty of doing that "one of" for our selves but it is not worth it to make any trade mark, copy right logo as a resale, the bigger the company the harder they hit.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Cute story............................

Back in the late 50's and throughout the 60's I plastered cartoons from everywhere on just about anything.... and I made money for doing it. Wagons, bikes, sleds, walls...... you name it, I painted it. Years later, I got into sign painting and no longer doing fine arts and my sister's school marching band was to go to, The New Disney World Park in Florida for the national band playoffs. I made a few 4' x 35' murals of all the Disney characters I could find and they were attached to the bus and went from Pennsylvania to Florida with these things on them. 1,000's of photographs were taken along the way and when they got there, they had the only buses decked out with Disney characters and the park itself commented on the novelty of the idea. I was never harassed, scolded or anything from Disney. As a kid growing up, my dream was to be a cartoonist for Disney. Never made it, but I was given some kudos from Disney World for doing them so nicely.

So, I don't think it's always been the way it is now. As people started pirating this stuff for personal gain and using it in illicit ways, they had to crack down on people and with the internet and software programs..... you're only a touch away from being caught. Heck, look how many people ask this same question over and over and over... and get the same answers and still..... you know they did it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.