• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Use of trademarked logos

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimToad

TOAD.......... if your polish...........i dont believe you are......then i know you have HEARD MANY POLOCK JOKES...........so your being offended is really laughable. oh and by the way did you see my last name? pribish, my grand parents came here in 1890's FROM RUSSIA, the part that is now poland......poland didnt exist till after 1918))) esta domo spata..........in polish......seagun..........

The only laughable thing here is how badly you are making yourself look. I don't care what your last name is, it doesn't entitle you to a free pass on being racist.

It doesn't matter what nationality I am or what race you are descended from, its that I find your use of a derogatory term in a public forum offensive. Its just that simple.

Your insistence on carrying on with this is very revealing about your low level of respect for your fellow member's feelings and desire to have a forum that is different than the crude and rude outside world we live in.

Based on your liberal interpretation of the english language and typing style, I'd conclude the rude and crude world we live in is a place you are quite comfortable.

Why the moderator hasn't stepped is beyond me, but he probably just hasn't caught it.

I'm sure big words like mutual respect, camaraderie and collegiality are beyond your rough and tumble persona, but they do mean something to some of us.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The only laughable thing here is how badly you are making yourself look. I don't care what your last name is, it doesn't entitle you to a free pass on being racist.

It doesn't matter what nationality I am or what race you are descended from, its that I find your use of a derogatory term in a public forum offensive. Its just that simple.

Your insistence on carrying on with this is very revealing about your low level of respect for your fellow member's feelings and desire to have a forum that is different than the crude and rude outside world we live in.

Based on your liberal interpretation of the english language and typing style, I'd conclude the rude and crude world we live in is a place you are quite comfortable.

Why the moderator hasn't stepped is beyond me, but he probably just hasn't caught it.

I'm sure big words like mutual respect, camaraderie and collegiality are beyond your rough and tumble persona, but they do mean something to some of us.

You do realize there is nothing racist about what he said. Nationality, race and religion are all different departments. I think you are a little confused.

If you can't laugh with your fellowman at yourself a little bit from time to time, then maybe you shouldn't hang out with grownups. Now, you want someone to censor him for saying Polock, Polak or Polack ??
In it's original meaning, it meant any immigrant from Poland. Now, much later people have managed to make it a slur, just like so many other words that young Americans have managed to bastardize. Perhaps you are hurt by many old fashioned words. Is he being a racists ?? No. He's being his own funny self. Believe me, if he or anyone else wanted to be racial or hurtful, you won't see it coming.
I can't speak for the moderator, but it's really hard to censor out clean fun. Really. Whose feelings have been hurt, by the way ??

jtiii

I paid good money for you to read this!
Anecdotal info and an opinion

Speaking specifically of Disney I can say with some experience that they are selective in their copyright enforcement - for years we (and countless other shops) have printed shirts for families/organizations that are going to DW/DL. They pretty much always have the ears, the castle, etc in the designs. They wear them in the parks and are obviously seen by Disney staff. None of my customers have ever told me of any complaints. Similar to the story of the bus mural, I assume that if used tastefully and executed skillfully Disney rightfully realizes that there is no benefit to punishing some of their biggest fans.

Also, regarding things like the Steelers logo on the truck, my understanding of copyright law is that if you make something yourself for your personal use (and advertising your services is NOT personal use) you can do whatever you want with any copyrighted work. If you hate Coke enough and have the skill/equipment you could wrap your van with "Drink Choke-a-Cola!" As the Man himself once said "That's just, like, your opinion, man"

TimToad

You do realize there is nothing racist about what he said. Nationality, race and religion are all different departments. I think you are a little confused.

If you can't laugh with your fellowman at yourself a little bit from time to time, then maybe you shouldn't hang out with grownups. Now, you want someone to censor him for saying Polock, Polak or Polack ??
In it's original meaning, it meant any immigrant from Poland. Now, much later people have managed to make it a slur, just like so many other words that young Americans have managed to bastardize. Perhaps you are hurt by many old fashioned words. Is he being a racists ?? No. He's being his own funny self. Believe me, if he or anyone else wanted to be racial or hurtful, you won't see it coming.
I can't speak for the moderator, but it's really hard to censor out clean fun. Really. Whose feelings have been hurt, by the way ??

Do you know what the word semantics means? It means using a subtle distinction in words to try an get away with an argument that can't stand on its own two feet because of a lack of factuality or merit.

I'm 54 years old, am married to a person of Polish descent and in our lifetimes the term has never been used as an endearing term or to demonstrate the deep intelligence or intellectual prowess of people of Polish descent. In fact, its been used to exploit and make "fun" of the exact opposite.

I hang out with adults all the time and most of them don't take pride in coming off like ignorant, rednecks. Especially the kind who act that way in front of strangers or blame their ignorance on us being in a different era that no longer clings to racist beliefs.

I'll laugh along when someone says or posts something funny, but using a derogatory term for someone's race or nationality if that term fits better, isn't funny.

Given his style of posting, I'm not sure there are many surprises awaiting any of us.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
On a side note, did you know many people think the "Montser" is the Devil?
and the claw marks are actually 666 in Hebrew? I thought it was interesting,
anyways, carry on with stealing of logos thread..

attachment.php

I really don't know how I got to this thread but " IF " the Bible interests you...
...technically...the Bible doesn't say his number is three sixes but that it is Six Hundred Sixty Six. That Hebrew Vav (with a numerical value of 6) added 3 times is only 18, not 666.
You'll notice the other letters below in your graphic that have much higher numerical values. Adding all the letters to the beasts' name to get Six hundred sixty six is what the actual text says in the Bible.
Also, the book of Revelation was written in Greek and there is the theory that the beast represented Rome/Caesar.
The only Roman letters that had numerical value were the following
I=1
V=5
X=10
L=50
C=100
D=500
All other numbers were based off of those. Add all of them together...666.
There's a lot of different evidences about this topic if you look around...
especially for people that are PRETERIST in their Eschatology. (Revelation described events that already happened in the past)

If the Bible is of no interest or you disagree with it...then you don't need to bother with this post.

OldPaint

o really???????????????
YOU MY FRIEND........... are the problem. simple as that.
IAM OF RUSSIAN POLISH/ITALIAN decent. i am 70 yrs old. and i didnt get here..........THINKING LIKE YOU)))
since you are so sensitive about having a polish wife......... seems you are the one who is offended for what ever reason you choose.
90% of my posts ARE IN JEST.........but then you are the 1% that has no sense of humor.
for that...........i am sad for you.
if i ...........as a RUSSIAN/POLISH/ITALIAN didnt have a sense of humor ........to be able to LAUGH at life and all its little quirks(you are one of these)and go on about my life doing what i do............with these quirks having ZERO EFFECT on who i am and how address them...........next week i wont i wont ever remember you...........and its not due to alzheimer's............its due to that fact that you made no impression on me.
I WISH YOU WELL.........with your problem.........iam sure there are many more in that cavity between your ears )))))))))))hahahahahahahaahahahahah

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Do you know what the word semantics means? It means using a subtle distinction in words to try an get away with an argument that can't stand on its own two feet because of a lack of factuality or merit.

I'm 54 years old, am married to a person of Polish descent and in our lifetimes the term has never been used as an endearing term or to demonstrate the deep intelligence or intellectual prowess of people of Polish descent. In fact, its been used to exploit and make "fun" of the exact opposite.

I hang out with adults all the time and most of them don't take pride in coming off like ignorant, rednecks. Especially the kind who act that way in front of strangers or blame their ignorance on us being in a different era that no longer clings to racist beliefs.

I'll laugh along when someone says or posts something funny, but using a derogatory term for someone's race or nationality if that term fits better, isn't funny.

Given his style of posting, I'm not sure there are many surprises awaiting any of us.

Well, hows 'bout thems apples ?? Where did you find your definition of semantics ?? Seems as though you are using your own form of semantics, huh ??

Anyway, my wife is 1/2 Polish, speaks it, understands it and speaks perfect English and understands that, too. No one said anything derogatory about Poljaks. That is something you and your wife have conjured up in your own head and now must feel downgraded. Only you can let words and names effect you. The same letters, sounds and meanings are used in a thousand different words and it's no different. Purposeful hateful condescending words are however, different. I don't think Old Paint or anyone else here is purposely trying to provoke you or your wife, but as for the
camaraderie around here..... we are one big happy family. We're always fighting, biting and pulling each others hair out, but what you are insinuating...... hardly. And especially not from Old Paint.

Ya know, Old Paint had a lotta good input throughout this thread and you didn't zero in on any of that. You just took one word, spun it outta context and are just laying for him. I would suggest to you to take your own advice and stop calling people out, when you have nothing to pull from.

J Hill Designs

Actually, do YOU know what the word semantics means?

DICTIONARY said:
the branch of linguistics and logic concerned with meaning.

TimToad

Actually, do YOU know what the word semantics means?

[/FONT]

In the context of someone trying to claim a distinction between Polish being a nationality and a race so the use of a derogatory slang term it doesn't come off racist like in this case, it is entirely about semantics being used.

Pulling out a dictionary for a school lesson on its textbook definition does not negate whether the argument being put forth was the use of semantics or not.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
In the context of someone trying to claim a distinction between Polish being a nationality and a race so the use of a derogatory slang term it doesn't come off racist like in this case, it is entirely about semantics being used.

Pulling out a dictionary for a school lesson on its textbook definition does not negate whether the argument being put forth was the use of semantics or not.

Sorry, but that's pure BS.

You want the rules to bend and work for you when you're wrong, but no one else, even if they are right. Sorry, but it doesn't work that way.

Now, before you take this thing too far off on a tangent not relating to the OP, how 'bout taking your gripes up in your own thread ?? :readthread:

Status
Not open for further replies.