• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Using copyrighted characters in advertising...

Pat Whatley

Point is are they doing it legally? No. Are they going to get caught and sued? Probably not. Do thousands and thousands of businesses do it? Absolutely. Is it hurting your business in any way? Doubt it.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
The grey area on this sort of thing is nothing like computer code. The grey area on this subject is thin to the extreme. If the likeness is "reasonable" by the average person, then it is infringing and illegal. You can flip the Nike swoosh any direction you want, give it a gradient, mirror image it, bevel the edge, add a stroke and drop shadow, and add 600 extra useless points along the edges. It's still Nike's symbol.

So...., anyone have a link to those high-rez Shrek/Spiderman photos?
No link but I have a good bit of original artwork.... did some work for the studios for both at different times in the past making massive banners and whatnot for local events. :)

So is it legal for me to display a print proof from that in the back of the shop? Not really, no. Do I once in a long while ask permission to print a duplicate of something to display, yes. Do I always get a yes answer, more often than not, a firm no.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I didn't really want the links to the files I have no use for....
There was a Sign, Stamp & Copy shop here that had a nice big Shrek on their door.
The lasted about a year - I don't know if they moved or went out of business but no new Shrek covered entry doors have popped up that I have seen.

Techman

The point is,
Why use someone else's stuff when we should have the ability to make our own. Why the heck would I want other peoples junk around my place on my walls. GAG on that. I don't even want a designer logo on my shirt let alone his uly junk in my show page.

I want to show off what I can do. Not some fax of what someone else can do that I can copy..
. Mine is much better..

ddubia

Has anyone seen Grimco's "Daily Deals" emails wherein they use movie scenes, characters and such in humorous ads? I wondered when I saw those how that is allowable.

Way, way back, when I went to a business college I was told that typically if an owner of copyrighted material finds you using their image their first recourse is to send a "cease and desist" letter. The prof said if you quit using it that is usually the end of it. However, if you continue to use their image after that they can and will bring down fire and brimstone resulting in the possible failure of your business. (Much like the RIAA sues a grandmother for $50,000 for pirating a dozen songs)

I don't pretend to know anything about the details of the laws regarding this.

Techman

one can subscribe to marketing companies who have the rights to use those characters. They develop campaigns and sell them for a monthly fee. Very easy to let them do the work.