• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

USPS Craziness

IsItFasst

Anyone else seeing the scam USPS has going on right now? I'm constantly dealing with customers because USPS states they never picked up packages we shipped (they clearly did). Seems like they are just randomly scanning things in if they feel like it. Even have had some customers state their package was delivered without it ever showing any updates on USPS's website. Seems like they are saying they didn't receive the package to make it look like the vendor is to blame for their incompetence or you can't make a claim with them since they "never received it". I know they have never been the best but I am going crazy dealing with this right now. Not to mention the money it is costing on reships of everything only to deal with the same issue on those as well. Even Priority Mail is taking over a month for some customers. So many of my packages are small (ship for $2.60) it is the only logical choice since my customers don't want to pay $10 shipping on a $5-$10 decal. But something is going to have to change.

rjssigns

Charge more for S&H. It doesn't help the issue you're having but it gives you some cushion.

USPS has slowed quite a bit for me too. Still a cheap option since I can pop over to the Piggly Wiggly and send stuff out.

unclebun

USPS has dropped their delivery time claims. That said, we've been getting things in that USPS delivered and they came on time. I suppose it depends on where you are.
Even before COVID USPS's tracking was useless. It would show package not picked up until after delivery, and then it would change to delivered. Stuff like that.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
The key is to use PRIORITY MAIL. It goes though a whole different channel. First class mail, parcel post and media mail is slow boat to China. Priority mail is much faster than UPS or FedEx ground, especially for things past Zone 5 or 6.

You have to been in the sweet spot for priority mail to be cost effective.

Packages less than 20 lbs: USPS Priority Mail
Packages over 20 lbs residential: UPS Ground
Packages over 20 lbs commercial: FedEx Ground
Freight: uShip

Bradley Signs

Bradley Signs
We have only had a couple issues over the years with USPS.... been good for us, but They are having big money problems, so.... stop using them!
There are many other options.
Have you looked into small delivery companies, and I don't me Fed-Jerks, or Buster Brown, DHL or any of those.
I mean smaller ones, like Hot Shot haulers. Find them on-line. The internet is a wonderful thing.
If it's just shirts, yes, Priority works best.
Anything bigger, don't count out the little guy. He's cheaper than the $500.00 a mile companies, and more timely.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
USPS Priority Mail is about the only way to get anything out here quickly at a cost that is reasonable.
We have the best luck with stuff coming out of the mid-west (Kansas). Less than a week when all the stars align.
The only issue is the condition of the boxes. I think the guerilla that used to be on the old Samsonite commercials has come out of retirement to handle our packages.

IsItFasst

Priority Mail is my biggest problem because people are paying extra for that service and it seems to be slower than First Class a lot of times. I seriously had two orders I looked up today that took over a month to get delivered that were U.S. address and Priority Mail shipped. I already swallowed the cost and reshipped but that is just crazy. When all the COVID stuff started I was at least seeing tracking until the package "left" the local sort facility but I soon found out it never really left. It was still sitting there or on a truck or something as sometimes it wouldn't be scanned in for weeks later. But that's still better than being bombarded by customers daily thinking we still have the package in house a week after it left us since that is what USPS is saying.

If I was shipping larger stuff I would have left USPS years ago but the price has been too good to leave. Up until COVID hit I rarely had problems over the last several years. But don't get me wrong, 10 years or so ago the tracking and delivery times were all over the place but things seems to have greatly improved until recently.

rossmosh

ikarasu

Ups is slammed too. I have some packages shipped two weeks ago that had a Friday estimated deliver on the tracking... Sitting at a Depot for the past 8 days with no updates. Not just one... But about a dozen packages in transit right now nearing the two week mark and no sight in delivery, when they were shipped on a 3-5 day standard.

Most customers don't seem to be understanding when you tell then it's not something you have control over, and it's due to covid!

Jeremiah

Talk about Crazy. I ordered 4 different sign products from a wholesaler in the USA, 7 days ago. Usually they provide free shipping because it was over 1000.00 this time they bill me 40.00 and tell me that they are giving me a credit of 40.00 on my next order instead of a refund ( because. Shipping prices have increased) . Then I get 4 different shipped notices. 1 USPS, 1 UPS , 1 FED EX , 1 DHL. Each item shipped thru a different company. . All are still in transit and last night DHL sent us a notice that item is 200 miles away and out for delivery. Estimated delivery date 7 more days in the future . Has shipping gone crazy ?

particleman

I ship a lot USPS and there have been more issues this summer with delivery times than ever. I've seen packages going to Michigan taking 2 weeks to arrive to customers via priority mail. My fedex delivery driver said they were delivering as many packages now as they do during Christmas season.

Johnny Best

It is not just here in the US. I ordered a bottle of pigmented ink from Japan through Amazon Prime.
After a month of emails back and forth with the Japanese company as to where the package was, this was back in March. I canceled the order and Amazon refunded the money. I just received the ink two days ago, five months! it seems Japan sends it to US and then the USPS takes it from there. The same Samsonite guerilla that GAC05 talked about took care of the handling.
But the good thing is I ended up with a free bottle of pigmented ink.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's been a problem for some time, but it seems to be a domino effect herealate. In the warehouses, you have people not showing up to package things to get them ready for UPS. So, picking things up late doesn't help, but slow assembly lines, slow processing and I think the number one problem is...... you no longer hafta sign for anything and anyone can write down anything they want, now that you need not be present. Like everything else, they are relying too much on technology and the employees are taking advantage of it.

IsItFasst

In my pre-written responses (to most first inquires) I explain that the entire shipping industry is having issues right now as I know many say they want it shipped via some other service.

While we do have a FedEx account I only use it when the customer has a big order and requests it or wants to pay on their account. Looking at the flat-rate suggestion that would kill my business. We ship a lot of tubes in which Priority Mail is normally about $7 and FedEx is "as low as $30". Some of my orders I ship in a tube aren't even $30 total.

The main reason I started this thread is just to voice my concern about how "immoral" USPS has become by not scanning in packages anywhere close to when they pick up so the blame can be on the shipper and not them.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
In my pre-written responses (to most first inquires) I explain that the entire shipping industry is having issues right now as I know many say they want it shipped via some other service.

While we do have a FedEx account I only use it when the customer has a big order and requests it or wants to pay on their account. Looking at the flat-rate suggestion that would kill my business. We ship a lot of tubes in which Priority Mail is normally about $7 and FedEx is "as low as $30". Some of my orders I ship in a tube aren't even $30 total.

The main reason I started this thread is just to voice my concern about how "immoral" USPS has become by not scanning in packages anywhere close to when they pick up so the blame can be on the shipper and not them.
Put the tubes in a box... FedEx surcharges big time for cylindrical items.

netsol

i have no use forvthe post office...
we have been in our new location, in an industrial park since about a week before memorial day. we have received 1(yes one) piece of mail. no verizpn bills, NO AMAZON PACKAGES, nothing from my bank, you get the ides.

the local postmaster ASSURES me that the mail (which he hs never seen) is misaddressed and he wuotes me the statute that forbids delivering misddresed mail.
after an s**tfit that would have frightened Hannibal lechtec, i finally got my single piece of mail, and some of my test mails i sent myself.

the postman told me "its really a funny story" how my mail is going elsewhere

next week i will go to newark and explore the process to remove an incompetent postmaster. it's time to go o the matresses