Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions UV direct printing on glass

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by peterprintingparty, Sep 12, 2019.

1. peterprintingparty

peterprintingparty Member

Jun 20, 2019
    New Mexico
    I have an Oce Arizona with white/white, and have been curious about experimenting with printing on glass. I have an adhesion promoter but the company I requested the sample from provided no TDS, and have been radio silent since I've tried to request one, so I don't know how to use it (also can't seem to find it online anywhere). Also, the stuff I got seems extra nasty, and I know there are other solutions out there.

Any suggestions?

Tags:
  2. Jburns

Jburns Active Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Denver
    there was someone that posted about some nano material that they were happy about. cant recall the name

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Superior_Adam

Superior_Adam Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Wichita, Kansas
    Pyrosil Flame treatment is recommended by a lot of manufacturers. We just got some stuff from Kolorcure. Have not tried glass but their metal adhesion promoter works well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. HStewart

HStewart New Member

Sep 10, 2019
    Lake Worth Beach, FL
    We print to glass & acrylic & use the AP3155 adhesion promoter/primer. It works well, the key is to take your time and clean the glass, then wipe on the primer and wipe off the excess using clean cloths. The downside is if you don't apply it evenly, streaking can occur.

• Like Like x 1
  6. peterprintingparty

Jun 20, 2019
    New Mexico
    Thanks I'll have to check this out! I have a customer that wants us to print on a product called Silestone, which is made out of some kind of quartz and non-porous. I printed on a sample of that stuff and had some minor scratching through concerted effort. This may help with that, too. I appreciate the reply!

7. peterprintingparty

Jun 20, 2019
    New Mexico
    This is exactly what I need for another project that I'm working on. Too bad I can't get it outside of Australia ;(

8. FireSprint.com

FireSprint.com Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing

Kolorcure makes some metal and glass primer you might try.

9. smatt

smatt New Member

Nov 13, 2019
    United kingdom
    Have literally just done this myself and had an absolute nightmare. Also have an Arizona oce with white and customer wanted a gradient from black to white going across X3 pieces of glass @ 240cm x 120cm each. Everyone we tried print colour then white onto glass it just showed all smears from the cleaning. I must have tried with 6 different cleaning products and nothing worked. Ended up reverse printing on clear vinyl and applying that way.

10. SignMeUpGraphics

SignMeUpGraphics Moderator

Apr 11, 2012
    Australia
    Wow, that's some bad luck. We've done it for 6 years on our Arizona with zero issues.
    Did you try acetone?

11. smatt

smatt New Member

Nov 13, 2019
    United kingdom
    Yep, acetone, IPA, meths, final clean/degreaser. You name it we tried it. Absolute nightmare of a job

12. SignMeUpGraphics

Apr 11, 2012
    Australia
    How odd... for dirty glass well use these in the following order:
    - Xylene
    - Acetone
    - Isopropyl alcohol
    Always gloved up and masks on. Some nasty stuff, but haven't seen a streak in 5+ years.

13. peterprintingparty

Jun 20, 2019
    New Mexico
    So you just printed directly onto glass without any sort of adhesion promoter? Did you print on any specific side of the glass? This is just kind of a pet project for me for my own printing needs, (and maybe a bit of R and D for my company).

14. SignMeUpGraphics

Apr 11, 2012
    Australia
    Oh we use the adhesion promoter listed above as well (lucky to be in Australia).
    I was just discussing our cleaning process.
    Printing on the "air" side of the glass is preferable. The plate side apparently has more contaminants on it. We get our glass guy to mark in on the sheet when delivered.

• Like Like x 1
  15. peterprintingparty

Jun 20, 2019
    New Mexico
    Ah, I see. I might have to bite the bullet and get some of that promoter, trying to decide if the shipping fee is worth it. Definitely jealous not being in reasonable proximity to nanovations!

16. Pauly

Pauly Colour Guru

Feb 14, 2016
    Melbourne
    water / mentholated spirits 50/50.
    Isopropyl.

Both very good glass cleaning agents.

We don't bother to much with this. 99% of the time out glass comes cut right and we print on the "air" side. but every now and then someones cut the glass backwards and we've printed on the "tin" side. we've even tested it out if there's any differences and we've seen none.