• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions UV direct printing on glass

I have an Oce Arizona with white/white, and have been curious about experimenting with printing on glass. I have an adhesion promoter but the company I requested the sample from provided no TDS, and have been radio silent since I've tried to request one, so I don't know how to use it (also can't seem to find it online anywhere). Also, the stuff I got seems extra nasty, and I know there are other solutions out there.

Any suggestions?

HStewart

I have an Oce Arizona with white/white, and have been curious about experimenting with printing on glass. I have an adhesion promoter but the company I requested the sample from provided no TDS, and have been radio silent since I've tried to request one, so I don't know how to use it (also can't seem to find it online anywhere). Also, the stuff I got seems extra nasty, and I know there are other solutions out there.

Any suggestions?
We print to glass & acrylic & use the AP3155 adhesion promoter/primer. It works well, the key is to take your time and clean the glass, then wipe on the primer and wipe off the excess using clean cloths. The downside is if you don't apply it evenly, streaking can occur.

We print to glass & acrylic & use the AP3155 adhesion promoter/primer. It works well, the key is to take your time and clean the glass, then wipe on the primer and wipe off the excess using clean cloths. The downside is if you don't apply it evenly, streaking can occur.

Thanks I'll have to check this out! I have a customer that wants us to print on a product called Silestone, which is made out of some kind of quartz and non-porous. I printed on a sample of that stuff and had some minor scratching through concerted effort. This may help with that, too. I appreciate the reply!

smatt

Have literally just done this myself and had an absolute nightmare. Also have an Arizona oce with white and customer wanted a gradient from black to white going across X3 pieces of glass @ 240cm x 120cm each. Everyone we tried print colour then white onto glass it just showed all smears from the cleaning. I must have tried with 6 different cleaning products and nothing worked. Ended up reverse printing on clear vinyl and applying that way.

smatt

Yep, acetone, IPA, meths, final clean/degreaser. You name it we tried it. Absolute nightmare of a job

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
How odd... for dirty glass well use these in the following order:
- Xylene
- Acetone
- Isopropyl alcohol
Always gloved up and masks on. Some nasty stuff, but haven't seen a streak in 5+ years.

Wow, that's some bad luck. We've done it for 6 years on our Arizona with zero issues.
Did you try acetone?

So you just printed directly onto glass without any sort of adhesion promoter? Did you print on any specific side of the glass? This is just kind of a pet project for me for my own printing needs, (and maybe a bit of R and D for my company).

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Oh we use the adhesion promoter listed above as well (lucky to be in Australia).
I was just discussing our cleaning process.
Printing on the "air" side of the glass is preferable. The plate side apparently has more contaminants on it. We get our glass guy to mark in on the sheet when delivered.

Oh we use the adhesion promoter listed above as well (lucky to be in Australia).
Printing on the "air" side of the glass is preferable. The plate side apparently has more contaminants on it. We get our glass guy to mark in on the sheet when delivered.

Ah, I see. I might have to bite the bullet and get some of that promoter, trying to decide if the shipping fee is worth it. Definitely jealous not being in reasonable proximity to nanovations!

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
water / mentholated spirits 50/50.
Isopropyl.

Both very good glass cleaning agents.

We don't bother to much with this. 99% of the time out glass comes cut right and we print on the "air" side. but every now and then someones cut the glass backwards and we've printed on the "tin" side. we've even tested it out if there's any differences and we've seen none.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Nanovations N-Bond UV inkjet primer can be ordered with free shipping to the USA and other countries
Covers 8,000 sq. ft. Price in Australian Dollar
What's the monetary Spam conversion in Bitcoin ...?