• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

UV & Eco solvent printer in the same room

Troy Lesher

Merchant Member
Now that I am thinking about it, that tech must have had a copier/Laser printer, and or Blueprint background....cause back in the day if you put a blueprint machine in the same room as a copier or Laser printer, the ammonia from the blueprint machine would wreck havoc on the selenium /amorphous silicone drums of the copiers/printers

White Haus

Not a Newbie
If UV inks do not totally cure there will be more odor. The odor is caused by free monomers that have not totally cross linked. Usually most UV inks post cure about 5%. If you are under cured too much they will not cure and you may have adhesion issues due to a soft ink film. This is based on free radical uv inks, Cationic ink that was initially used in LED curing technology will cure over time.

Interesting. Not to get too far off topic, but does the fact that LED inks cure over time explain the color shift that happens between fresh prints and day old prints? Specifically on our Mimaki UCJV, the color shift is HUGE.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Since you're way farther north than me talk to your HVAC guy about a HRV(heat recovery ventilator).

Not sure how the new print lab is set up but I recall something about the air exchange being 6 times per hour.

Thanks, I will have another chat with him. I believe we discussed it a while back but decided it wasn't worth the investment as we rent our unit, and it wouldn't be able to move with us if we ever upgrade to a bigger shop. That being said, with the year we've had, we won't be upgrading anytime soon.

I also looked into air scrubbers and despite not liking the price tag, those might be a better fit. Just not sure which one would be more effective.

Definitely want to do something though because it gets pretty bad in here when we're busy, and just running exhaust fan means we're pumping out all our climate controlled air... $$$

Inks

Interesting. Not to get too far off topic, but does the fact that LED inks cure over time explain the color shift that happens between fresh prints and day old prints? Specifically on our Mimaki UCJV, the color shift is HUGE.
Most of the original cationic uv inks have been replaced now. Glossy UV inks that are undercured can look matte, undercured matte uv inks can show as glossy, As far as color shift I cannot answer that one.

Troy Lesher

Merchant Member
yes some of the photo initiators can have an effect on colors for up to 24 hrs in some cases. so keep that in mind when your color profiling, (assuming you do profile) allow your test swatches to completely "cure" before setting them as your profile target.

RaymondLoewy

Pretty fly for a Sign Guy
UV Flatbed, Indigo, three solvent roll to roll and one aqueous in the lab. Roll to roll printers are in the wrap bay but the access doors are never closed.
Zero issues and the equipment is run hard.
Sounds like you have one hell of a home office!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
And also of great irrelevance on a sign forum asking about printer conditions....

Okay, how so ?? It's not a political statement, not at all, but it does have bearing on business methods and connections, not to mention the new taxes being introduced and more regulations from minimum wage on down the line. How will your bottom feeder employees do making $15 an hour. In keeping with the business slide rule, how much more are bosses and higher up people gonna demand ?? Nope, this isn't political, but a needed discussion in any business in this country. So, how does it not pertain, again ??

Troy Lesher

Merchant Member
Okay, how so ?? It's not a political statement, not at all, but it does have bearing on business methods and connections, not to mention the new taxes being introduced and more regulations from minimum wage on down the line. How will your bottom feeder employees do making $15 an hour. In keeping with the business slide rule, how much more are bosses and higher up people gonna demand ?? Nope, this isn't political, but a needed discussion in any business in this country. So, how does it not pertain, again ??
Very valid non political conversation...think about a 7.25 hr bottom feeder getting a 100% raise, what kind of effect will that have on the rest of the staff that make 15 or better now! thats gonna be a mood changer, not to mention a change in Staff #'s potentially.

Inks

yes some of the photo initiators can have an effect on colors for up to 24 hrs in some cases. so keep that in mind when your color profiling, (assuming you do profile) allow your test swatches to completely "cure" before setting them as your profile target.
If the ink is a free radical uv and totally cured the photo initiators should not impact the color. The only time I have seen photo initiators have an impact was a clear that printed yellow and photo bleached over 24 hours and became clear. Having said this my knowledge of Cationic uv is not very good and what you describe may very well be the case. I learn something new every day thanks to people like you.

signman315

Signmaker
Can we put solvent in same room as UV?