• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

UV Printing... With torches??

paperstrategies

I've seen a few people use a pre-printing process that heats the substrate, either with a torch or what I can only describe as a Frankenstein machine that zaps the piece with electricity and changes the molecular structure to allow better adhesion of the UV inks. But, given I only know "It's a Frankenstein machine", I'm having a hard time doing any research on it. Is anyone familiar with this process?

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I understand where you're coming from. But have not heard of this.

Some of my substrates that have low UV adhesion come in a "digital" version for printing that allow the UV ink to stick to it.
Maybe this has had something similar done to it. no idea. but interesting.

noisegeek

I have a feeling what you're describing as a "Frankenstein Machine" is a corona treatment system. It alters the surface ionization of a material. It's a process that is frequently used to treat things like styrene and coroplast to make them more suitable for UV printing.

petepaz

I have a feeling what you're describing as a "Frankenstein Machine" is a corona treatment system. It alters the surface ionization of a material. It's a process that is frequently used to treat things like styrene and coroplast to make them more suitable for UV printing.

+1

10sacer

Could be a air based anti-static machine as well. Doesn't do squaddily for adhesion but eliminates particle dispersion due to static build up on material.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member

+1

Definitely this. It shoots electricity at the substrate to increase the dyne level to aid in ink adhesion.

paperstrategies

Awesome! Thanks. So how would using a blow torch do the same thing? Anyone ever heard of someone using a benzene torch for ionization?

2B

Awesome! Thanks. So how would using a blow torch do the same thing? Anyone ever heard of someone using a benzene torch for ionization?

we use benzene torches on plastic, usually coolers/ice chest prior to placing the graphics as it changes the plastic from a low energy to a higher energy surface for vinyl application.

regarding the corona treatment system, does anyone have one and is this a better option instead of getting the "digital" ready substates for Cor-Plast, ACP, etc...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We looked into this a while back. Two things stopped us from getting it. Once it's treated, it only lasts for about a 5 days. After 2 weeks, it's practically gone. Therefore, you can't prep too far in advance. Also, you cannot store them flat. They must be stored on an edge as straight as possible. They creates slight curves making it difficult to put on our flatbed. It wants to bow.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
regarding the corona treatment system, does anyone have one and is this a better option instead of getting the "digital" ready substates for Cor-Plast, ACP, etc...

Dyne levels will decrease over time, so having your own machine to put the substrate through just before printing is ideal.
We work with a nearby screen printing place who have their own corona treatment machine, and it's handy to run a sheet of acrylic or coroplast thru it prior to print to maximise adhesion.