• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Van Install ONLY your cost

Locals Find!

Very, very different if you're doing this by yourself or having your employees do it. Jobs like these, where installers will be busy for weeks get discounted.

Now that makes sense to me. As I sub-contract most of my work I totally understand that concept. That's just good business sense. As your already having to make a payroll.

S

SignTech

hey jiarby ............. they HAD some goof balls doing these vehicles ...... for cheap ... I saw the work, cut and sliced moldings every other vehicle ... gross tunneling .... vinyl upcreep from body channels, def not heated to 180 degrees and then reheated .... multiple level and plumb issues .......... and on and on .......... so they gave me three to do ... I did them they were happy .......... then made their offer per unit ... you would SH^%$ if I told you what they offered ........ come Monday I will politely bow out ...

cdiesel,
All of the OP's info says he will be doing these jobs alone. And unless I'm missing something somewhere or have misunderstood, I believe he said labor for one van is $300 and labor for 200 vans is $175 each. That's a 42% discount.

S

SignTech

cdiesel,
All of the OP's info says he will be doing these jobs alone. And unless I'm missing something somewhere or have misunderstood, I believe he said labor for one van is $300 and labor for 200 vans is $175 each. That's a 42% discount.

Signcrafters ........... what you're missing is I mentioned that WHEN I owned my sign company back in PA (some here remember this) ........ is that I would charge $300 for an install like this plus materials. Yes NOW I would be doing this alone ......... personally I feel it's worth 175-200 alone .......... each. But if there where 3 guys on one vehicle at one time and busy for 4 months diesel would discount sharply ........... speed and volume ......... but even alone the quality should prevail ............... but today? It doesn't mean SH*^& anymore to these big wigs ... hope that clears up your question ........

Pro Image

Good luck on getting the bid with your prices.......The local phone company changed over to Frontier about 7 years ago down here and I lost the bid at a 145.00 each........Guy did them for 75.00 each for a 175 trucks and vans.....

I really hope you can get it though.......

S

SignTech

Good luck on getting the bid with your prices.......The local phone company changed over to Frontier about 7 years ago down here and I lost the bid at a 145.00 each........Guy did them for 75.00 each for a 175 trucks and vans.....

I really hope you can get it though.......

lol Proimage great to see your butts still here ........... happy holidays ........ ohh I know I won't get the gig ........ I am doing fine outside signs and graphics ... I like the small stuff I am getting without all the overhead ..... but I do miss larger work ............ maybe someday I can get a small shop up and running again ......... this time it would be a smaller venture ........ peace!

jiarby

they do not care about quality enough to pay extra to get it.

They are paying $3 a square for the prints and $75-100 each for the installs.

If I were them I would put an ad on craigslist for two contract installers. Tell them it is for a permanent hire (with insurance benefits etc...) doing just fleet installs. Offer to pay them $17.95/hr for the probationary period then a $25/hr rate when hired permanently. Tell them that you will only be able to keep one guy... then they will focus on doing a good job to "win" the job.

Have them do all the vans in 2-3 days.

Then tell each of them the other guy got the job and let them both go.

Be sure to order two extra prints... they are sure to screw up a panel or two, but that is cheaper than paying a premium installer.

They would get 150-200 applicants.

cdiesel

Alone is very different. I wouldn't recommend a job like this for a one man shop. Even if you could do four a day, you'd be looking at eight weeks of doing nothing but these vans. That'd be sure to piss off every other customer you have. Not a good thing, unless you'd like to make $35k over the next two months. If you can handle your other clients, that's a handsome profit for a one-man shop.

On the other hand, a company like ours would take on this job, have a couple of our installers knock it out and make a nice profit. All while keeping our other clients very happy. These fleet jobs are not for everyone, but if one-man shops want to compete for them, they have to be willing to do so on the level that these jobs go for.

CheapVehicleWrap

they do not care about quality enough to pay extra to get it.

They are paying $3 a square for the prints and $75-100 each for the installs.

If I were them I would put an ad on craigslist for two contract installers. Tell them it is for a permanent hire (with insurance benefits etc...) doing just fleet installs. Offer to pay them $17.95/hr for the probationary period then a $25/hr rate when hired permanently. Tell them that you will only be able to keep one guy... then they will focus on doing a good job to "win" the job.

Have them do all the vans in 2-3 days.

Then tell each of them the other guy got the job and let them both go.

Be sure to order two extra prints... they are sure to screw up a panel or two, but that is cheaper than paying a premium installer.

They would get 150-200 applicants.

LOL that's thinking!

BTW, who would you rather be? Some guy sticking stickers on baseball bats all day or The Verizon guy's partner? I can't decide.

S

SignTech

I certainly hope so! That would just about cover the 10 minute drive.

Of course ... they talked a great talk ... initially there was a lot of excitement and possibilities and negotiation talk ...... (insinuating that if I did a good job and they liked my work) they would have fair offers .......... ect ... I also underestimated my abilities and worth after I was finished ..... and said ... somethings not right with this ............ lemme throw it at the s101'ers ......

But yeah .......... I would never work at this rate per unit ... the work I did already was hourly and they don't want to pay hourly ........ so like I said I am bowing out ....... but it was a fun time and I will just add it to my port ..........

S

SignTech

I certainly hope so! That would just about cover the 10 minute drive.

Having known this, why did you bother asking? You knew it was a looser to begin with.

I did not know the offer until I finished test vehicles .......... but yes at $65 I knew it was a losing deal ......... but I wanted to see what everyone would ask for as an independent ........ I figured around 150 per unit and that has been confirmed ........ they did ask me what was an acceptable amount and I asked to sleep on it ......... that's why I posted here ... so Monday I can make my counter offer ............ which will be laughed at ..........

cdiesel

I'd definitely counter offer instead of bowing out alltogether. There's a chance they'll take it and you can make some decent coin.

S

SignTech

I'd definitely counter offer instead of bowing out alltogether. There's a chance they'll take it and you can make some decent coin.

Well not a total bow ........ but I do expect a chuckle ... but you're right who knows ......... thanks for your help ..........

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Stand your ground as a professional installer and your worth. Explain proper vehicle prepping, installation, post heating, etc.

Make sure they understand that a low bidder looking for a job may cut corners and could come back to haunt them and all the installs they did. That's a lot of vehicles...

If they don't bite hand them your card in case they need it in the future.

Typestries

I see nothing wrong with doing 200 of these around $125 each. 2 guys plus a supervisor/runner/quality checker and this job is a home run. If you want I know a few independent guys who might be into helping you. this is assuming you are not doing that stripe along the rocker panel, I'd add $$ for the cleaning and PITA factor of that if you are.