• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vector art program

Bulldog1929

Hello folks, I'm Bulldog from SE Ohio. I've been in the tee shirt biz for 14 years. Wow, this is a very informative board. I'm really enjoying reading through the different posts.
Okay, I finally decided to buy a vinyl cutter [ JSI P-24}. Yeah, I know it isn't exactly the most expensive machine, but I bought it to learn on. I can cut out regular text signs. But, I want to also do the clip art. But, that's where my problems begin.
Now, if I buy the regular vector art, when I import it into the Sign blazer JSI program, will I have to try and figure it out or is it truly rady to run and cut. A friend of mine gave me some vectorized art and signblazer says it has to vectorized. So, any comments and info would be greatly appreciated

Jackpine

Hello folks, I'm Bulldog from SE Ohio. I've been in the tee shirt biz for 14 years. Wow, this is a very informative board. I'm really enjoying reading through the different posts.
Okay, I finally decided to buy a vinyl cutter [ JSI P-24}. Yeah, I know it isn't exactly the most expensive machine, but I bought it to learn on. I can cut out regular text signs. But, I want to also do the clip art. But, that's where my problems begin.
Now, if I buy the regular vector art, when I import it into the Sign blazer JSI program, will I have to try and figure it out or is it truly rady to run and cut. A friend of mine gave me some vectorized art and signblazer says it has to vectorized. So, any comments and info would be greatly appreciated

Vector art has outlines that are shapes, bitmaps don't. If it is vectorized it may need work if it has crossed lines or the objects are too small or not closed objects. Look at the images in wireframe and you will see the outlines. If not....it is a bitmap. Import the files and see if they cut. There is a learning curve to everything. In this trade, some want to "pass" or be "promoted" without doing the work. I hope this gives you help.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Sounds like either your friend didn't give you vector files or you are not doing something correctly. Vector files contain the paths which are what your plotter requires to know what to do and where to go.

Among vector images, there are two kinds: Those that are vinyl-ready and those that are not. If a file is rated as vinyl-ready, this means that there are no overcutting paths, that all paths are closed, and that there are not strokes or bitmapped fills which would not be seen by your plotter.

Here is a link to a Vector Art brand clipart page that offers free samples. Those that are from Mega Collection or Mega Collection 2 are vinyl-ready. The others are not. They are saved in Zip format to protect them from corruption when they are downloaded over the internet. You need to unzip them once they are on your computer.

Here is a link
to my website which has sample downloads of our Plotter Art Originals clipart collection. Please note that only the Plotter Art originals is rated as vinyl ready. These files are also zipped but they are zipped as self-extracting zip files. Just download them and double click them to extract or unzip them.

Bulldog1929

It's really nice to receive such a warm welcome. Me, my wife and our Boston Bulldogs thank you.
Fred, thank you for your input and links.
JackPine, thank you for the wire frame tip. Hey guys I deeply appreciate sharing your wealth of knowledge with me.
To tell you the truth, I finally broke down and bought the vynil cutter and also a screen printing outfit. Main reason being, I have so many folks ask me to make special shirts and or signs for them. So, even though it's taking me a little bit to try and figure all this new stuff out, I figure that in the long run it will only benefit our biz.
Even broke down last year and setup a website and I can also take CCs on the road now. Wow, this old man's getting with it LOL

Jackpine

Try importing files as eps and see if that works.