• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vector Help

RalphGS

Cut the guy some slack!
Otherwise I will have to become a merchant member with my company 'whatfont?!' Font recognition for 5USD

Hope everybody will back me up if anyone over here offers a freebie!

I understand the point of view but hey, if someone is willing to learn someone how to use live-trace..... Let him! I use copyartwork.com for the complicated vectorizing jobs; first I used it for every vectorjob but now that I'm becoming an Illustrator master ;-) I know I can do most jobs in less than 15 minutes.

And as he mentioned; handtraced is always better but a live-trace with some altering does the trick for some drawings

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Cut the guy some slack!
Otherwise I will have to become a merchant member with my company 'whatfont?!' Font recognition for 5USD

Hope everybody will back me up if anyone over here offers a freebie!

I understand the point of view but hey, if someone is willing to learn someone how to use live-trace..... Let him! I use copyartwork.com for the complicated vectorizing jobs; first I used it for every vectorjob but now that I'm becoming an Illustrator master ;-) I know I can do most jobs in less than 15 minutes.

And as he mentioned; handtraced is always better but a live-trace with some altering does the trick for some drawings

No one is saying a member cannot ask for help and another member provide it. The question then becomes, in what form does that help take place. Since we do not want digital files shared at Signs 101 for reasons both obvious and already stated, that is not going to happen. That doesn't stop anyone from posting the steps to auto trace or hand trace or clean up a vector. That is, IMHO, equal to teaching a man to fish instead of just giving him a fish.

Anyone with any desire to learn their craft can acquire well prepared and high quality vectors. Here's a link to a few samples we provide. One can examine them and use them as a template/guide to attempt to replicate them with a Bezier pen. And one can auto trace them to see the difference, after which, hopefully, he or she will pick up their Bezier pen tool and start practicing with it.

I fail to see the connection with whether or not you would ever become a merchant member here. If it benefits you, then do so. But you would have no more right to use Signs 101 to share files than anyone else. What msenjur seems to be complaining about is a difference in his view versus both the rules and the culture that have evolved here after eight years. That culture dictates that the member needing help first attempt and show something on his or her own. Then the help offered is almost always a reply of how to do something rather than "here, I did it for you".

Font identification is, perhaps, the main exception although I have replied often with the techniques and software I use for that function. But, admittedly, font ID often takes place here without any advice given as to how a member might learn to do it on their own.

RalphGS

Are you the owner of the Bezier pen?
Dr. Pierre..... ;-)

Fred thanks for your answer; I understand both thoughts.... But a roast wasn't necessary for this guy

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Are you the owner of the Bezier pen?
Dr. Pierre..... ;-)

Fred thanks for your answer; I understand both thoughts.... But a roast wasn't necessary for this guy

Why have you suddenly become defensive? I was just asking a simple question, not being sarcastic. You said my company whatthefont so I thought you were the owner of the site. I recall reading somewhere that the company was based in eastern Europe

RalphGS

I was just being whitty :)

And I was already sarcastic when I came up with my idea of becominga merchant member..... It was only to explain my point

For your infirmation: I said 'whatfont?!' not whatthefont..... Which is from MyFonts
Wikiquote:
MyFonts is a digital fonts distribution, location based in Marlborough, Massachusetts.'