• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vector Software

qmr55

Inkscape & Flexi! Illustrator as well for the certain things illy can do that flexi and inkscape can't!

OldPaint

i was lookin thru old software last night found my STREAMLINE 4.0 disc. used this before corel got a trace in it. IT LOADS AND WORKS oh my XP!!!!!!!! GREEEEEEAT!!!!!!
COREL TRACE does a lot of thing well, but this old adobe seems to trace text better.
i would bet that this what they have in ILLY.

Terremoto

For sign work CorelDraw has some distinct advantages over anything else out there.

The three that come to mind right off hand are:

• Node editing is a much saner experience with CorelDraw than it is with Illustrator. Very important if you want smooth cut curves from your plotter.
  • When working on large sign projects in Illustrator the maximum artboard size can be frustrating. Not a problem with CorelDraw.
  • The ability to work with more than one page in a single file once again sets CorelDraw apart from Illustrator. Sure you can more or less accomplish the same thing in Illustrator using layers but that's a duct tape and haywire work-a-round in my opinion.

All you really need is CorelDraw, CoCut (from Corel) and maybe Caldera for a RIP if that's required. With these three programs you have a tool set that is reasonably priced and feature rich. Really can't ask for much more than that.

Dan

Bigdawg

Just Me
For sign work CorelDraw has some distinct advantages over anything else out there.

The three that come to mind right off hand are:

• Node editing is a much saner experience with CorelDraw than it is with Illustrator. Very important if you want smooth cut curves from your plotter.
  • When working on large sign projects in Illustrator the maximum artboard size can be frustrating. Not a problem with CorelDraw.
  • The ability to work with more than one page in a single file once again sets CorelDraw apart from Illustrator. Sure you can more or less accomplish the same thing in Illustrator using layers but that's a duct tape and haywire work-a-round in my opinion.

All you really need is CorelDraw, CoCut (from Corel) and maybe Caldera for a RIP if that's required. With these three programs you have a tool set that is reasonably priced and feature rich. Really can't ask for much more than that.

Dan

I disagree... kind of. The node editing is personal preference IMHO

I will give you the artboard size. But you can set up multiple pages in Illustrator without doing layers - use the artboards.

Personally HATE when I have to work in Corel. Like Corel lovers HATE when they have to work in Illustrator... but I started on Illustrator 88 and Photoshop 2, so me and Illy - we got history :smile:

mattybrownuk

You're already using two very good vector graphics applications. What are they lacking that's making you look elsewhere? My top two are Flexi or Adobe Illustrator.

WildWestDesigns

Terremoto............... CO-CUT is not a corel product

It's listed in their "Other Graphics Programs" along side DecoStudio (which is the entry level version of EmbroideryStudio that I mentioned earlier) and I know DecoStudio and EmbroideryStudio are billed as "A CorelDRAW Product"

EDIT: Looks like Dan beat me to it by a minute.

Techman

how can anyone really say node handling is better in illy when one has to purchase PLUGins such as better handles at a hundred bucks every time adobe upgrades to make it work right?

sinetist

how can anyone really say node handling is better in illy when one has to purchase PLUGins such as better handles at a hundred bucks every time adobe upgrades to make it work right?

I find node handling in Illustrator a lot easier with smart guides turned on ... that ... and doing a few exercises like the one at the bottom of this page.

sinetist

:smile: Laird Art School 1955 BN (Before Nodes) - from Signwritten Art, by A.J. Lewery

Attachments

• _1280.jpg
    _1280.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 1280.jpg
    1280.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 130

CheapVehicleWrap

I neither see or hear of LOGO users anymore. I absolutely love my turtle. It's absolutely killer for whipping up a design, and that you can not deny.

Border

I have a copy of freehand on zip discs from when I bought out another company years ago. Never tried loading it to see how it works.
Is it worth anything or even something I can sell legally? Does it need an activation code?

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator

Curious. What what makes Corel's node handling better? From someone who manipulates nodes by the thousands each week

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-06-07 at 8.26.32 AM.png
    Screen shot 2012-06-07 at 8.26.32 AM.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 132