• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vectorising help

Sinkers

Hi Guys,
I havent been on here for a long time and hoping that this post is in the right place. I recently purchased a Roland BN20, and am loving it.
I have been asked to make a large decal for a mate who painted the attached artwork. The problem that I am having is blowing the image up and losing all of the gradients.
I have tried Vector Magic and tracing bitmap in Corel X5 with not much luck. the image will end up being 18" x 47"
Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Wayne

Attachments

• mujerpegatina.jpg
    mujerpegatina.jpg
    600 KB · Views: 147

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Not sure why you feel you need a vectorized version, but the previous suggestion of sending it to The Vector Doctor is a good one. If it was me, I would scan the image at a high enough resolution that I ended up with a pixel dimension of at least 3400 pixels (the higher the better) in height and go from there. That will preserve the artist's details without going through trying to recreate it in vectors.

Sinkers

Thanks Fred,
I havent got the original to scan. like i said, I have only just purchased the printer, up until then was doing mostly vinyl cut.

bold_will_hold

Sailor Jerry :thread You will need a vector cut line if you plan to cut them out via plotter. I can also make the file vector for you if need it. There is another option called "perfect resize" a plugin for photoshop which will resize the image without having pixelation. It does a pretty decent job but I believe the plugin does cost $$

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
This is one of those images that is not for vectoring. The shading is done with stippling and those are not linear or radial gradients. More like airbrush effects. The best solution as mentioned is to blow up the image and print. Only the outside line would be vectored and used as a contour cut

Gino

Premium Subscriber
As long as we're bashing doctors...... her nose is smaller than Michael Jackson's was.

And when did your leg start to come out below your stomach...... sideways.

I always get a kick out of people who draw things and have no idea of anatomy.​

Marlene

As long as we're bashing doctors...... her nose is smaller than Michael Jackson's was.

And when did your leg start to come out below your stomach...... sideways.

I always get a kick out of people who draw things and have no idea of anatomy.​

this guy is famous for not having any clue about human anatomy ;)

Attachments

• pica.jpg
    pica.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 118

TammieH

What resolution are you scanning at, and you are scanning the original art?

You may have better luck using a new phone that takes high resolution photos, a few years ago I had to print four 7'tall Tin Soldiers, the soldiers were 3" tall
They were not perfect but it satisfied the customer, and that was using my old phone...I was able to clean up a little detail in the face with photoshop

Gino

Premium Subscriber
this guy is famous for not having any clue about human anatomy ;)

Not exactly true. He could paint, draw anything in perfect harmony, whether it be in blues, pinks or his famous cubism. He had the ability to do it correctly, but was either bored or depressed, which in my opinion forced him to think outside of the relatively easy box and go bold and change everything for the future.

This OP's picture has no talent to begin with...... just a dabbler.

Marlene

Not exactly true. He could paint, draw anything in perfect harmony, whether it be in blues, pinks or his famous cubism. He had the ability to do it correctly, but was either bored or depressed, which in my opinion forced him to think outside of the relatively easy box and go bold and change everything for the future.

This OP's picture has no talent to begin with...... just a dabbler.

I know, I'm just messing with you :)

bold_will_hold

As stated before, This image was painted using watercolor. It can only be imitated with gradients. It can and has been done. The plugin I mentioned in an earlier post does work well for blowing up the image without it being pix-elated. Instead it compensated for pixels and blurs the colors slightly. The outline to cut will be to drawn around the image in vector form. Email me and we can talk about vector options or I can provide you will the scaled up image with cut line. I am assuming this is for a tattoo shop.

It is surprising to me the amount of people here who don't know the original "9 year old" artist. I guess is we all come from different worlds and different backgrounds. Hell I used to drawl this mans images over and over again and practice spit shading. He was a major influence on me and countless others. Our military men from decades ago are still proudly wearing his art. Almost all tattoo artist today would say they have some how been influenced by this man. Yes hands and feet and body proportions are not 100% anatomical but that is just part what makes it great.

Don't look ignorant, do some research. I don't think 90% of the signs made today that people would call "art" can even hold a candle to the legacy Sailor Jerry has created. Defiantly not that congratulations little sussie graduation banner or room 101 suite sign, that get pounded out everyday in sign shops around the world.

I will leave this here...
[video=youtube;4JkG3jk4DkA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JkG3jk4DkA[/video]

Jackpine

Magenta is the cut line. 5 min cut line, power clip ready to print & cut. You could re sample the bitmap. It just adds more pixels but makes the edges fuzzy.

Attachments

• Sailir Girl cut line Signs101.jpg
    Sailir Girl cut line Signs101.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 97
Last edited: