• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion vehicle lettering/graphics on non-commercial vehicle?

petepaz

i know it probably differs from state to state but anyone know what if any restrictions there are with having lettering/graphics for a business on a non-commercial vehicle?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
i know it probably differs from state to state but anyone know what if any restrictions there are with having lettering/graphics for a business on a non-commercial vehicle?

I think that would be on a state by state basis. You may want to include what state you're talking about and maybe someone here has some knowledge about that.

No real restrictions on that stuff in Texas, although some municipalities or HOAs may frown on graphics all over a personal car parked in residential areas.

equippaint

Don't some states make you register commercial (even pickups) differently? It would be doubtful that your insurance company or even someone elses would cover you in an accident too.

unclebun

Most issues will be with municipalities or homeowners associations. We have one in our area that doesn't allow even a commercial vehicle to be parked outside with advertising on it. So, for example, if you are an electrician and your service truck is lettered, you cannot park it in your own driveway if you live in that neighborhood.

I don't think the law makes any distinction between a ricer with manufacturer and parts company logos on it or a tradesman's vehicle with his company name on it, regardless of the registration.

petepaz

i am aware of the requirements for commercial vehicles but the customer has a personal vehicle (non-commercial and he wants to put lettering for his business on there so was asking if anyone knew of any laws on that. i know there are companies that pay you to have your car wrapped with their advertisement so makes me believe that there should not be an issue.
probably tell him to check with the dmv and or his insurance company

fresh

i'm in NJ. I had a client recently tell me a cop made them remove a magnet from their car that didn't have commercial plates. But the thing that is weird about NJ is just because a vehicle is owned by a business, does not mean it needs commercial plates. I've done some research and not seen anything stating you're not allowed to promote a business on a personal vehicle. If that were the case, no one would be allowed to have bumper stickers.

I always just advise people if they are lettering their personal vehicle that it does add liability.

netsol

there is more to it, i am sure,
commercial vehicle must have owners name & phone # (on the front doors)
personal vehicle, can have a magnetic sign (i believe) no permanent lettering for a business

Martin Denton

Jeez If they tried dictating to us like that they would have riots on their hands, If it was the French they would just burn down their parliament lol. Cant believe you really have laws against that, could understand if they were naked women plastered all over the car. Just crazy...

Sandman

Most issues will be with municipalities or homeowners associations. We have one in our area that doesn't allow even a commercial vehicle to be parked outside with advertising on it. So, for example, if you are an electrician and your service truck is lettered, you cannot park it in your own driveway if you live in that neighborhood..
I know homeowners associations that have these rules. I think this could be a ripe case for constitutional rights being violated. If it were legal I would think every vehicle would have to have their logo removed from the vehicle including bumper stickers, baby on board hangers and anything else.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
My neighborhood has a covenent in place that prevents overnight parking of commercial vehicles on the street. A commercial vehicle, in this case, is defined as any vehicle that advertises the owner's or driver's business. This was put in place to prevent over crowded street parking in a neighborhood with single-car garages. The local police view this as a complaint driven violation, and will issue a warning ticket for the first violation. I ended up removing the graphics from my truck, but on the next street over there are several commercial trucks parked on the street. Apparently nodody's complaining in that section of the neighborhood.

These covenents are legally enforceable and do not challenge constitutional rights. When you buy property, what you are essentially buying is a set of rights to use the property within a legal context. One does not simply "own" that chunk of land with the ability to do whatever they want with it.