• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Versacamm SP-300 head replacement, few questions.

artbot

i've heard to dump it in some cat litter and discard. ...but that's the way we do it in the cow-ntry! yeeha!

frmdstryr

Looks like i need to find the old PECK or a firmware updater in order to fix it... anyone know where I can find those?

Do yourself a favor and call your local Roland Tech... it's worth having a Certified Tech service your printer ... and saves a LOT of frustration. Plus, they'll show you how to clean and maintain your printer. Trust a trained and certified professional.

artbot

yup, it's time to call the doctor. techs are the coolest. pick their brains! better yet, kidnap him and don't let him go until he teaches you everything he knows!!!!

frmdstryr

So the tech called me today, it ended up that the SP-??? and service error 0101 was because the limit was not set correctly. The banging was because whoever serviced the machine before me forgot to tighten the scan motor bolts, so the gear was slipping causing motor error 0040.

Now it prints! :) Only in blue and black though.... haha.

Time to figure out why the head I put in isn't working.... any suggestions?

Last edited:

guillermo

did you replace the print head?, if so, please, tell me how it went, I think I will be replacing it also on my printer.

DCaptDan

That fuse usually blows when the head cables are reversed or the foil ends get messed up and short out. They can also blow when the cables are plugged in or pulled out while the main power switch is on. Always shut the main power AND pull the plug when working on anything electric in these machines. The front panel power switch is only a sub-power button and there is still electric running through the machine when this is off.

artbot

also, after turning off the machine from the front, and switching off from the back, unplug the machine and press the front panel button four times slowly. it will usually light up about one or two times. this eliminates all the latent static charge in the printer. some of those capacitors will store a lot of juice and when you get to working "zap$$$".

frmdstryr

That fuse usually blows when the head cables are reversed or the foil ends get messed up and short out. They can also blow when the cables are plugged in or pulled out while the main power switch is on. Always shut the main power AND pull the plug when working on anything electric in these machines. The front panel power switch is only a sub-power button and there is still electric running through the machine when this is off.

I should've labeled the head cables, but I'm about 99% sure they're in the right spot, the top ribbon cable from the print board (CN204 I believe) is going to the right (from the front) connector of the print head (also labeled CN204). Before I replace the fuse, I'll double check to make sure the ribbon cable ends are in good shape and pressed in correctly.

Anyways, I need these fuses but they're only made in japan (and no longer made) I've been searching digikey, and found this: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=F2580CT-ND, is that a good replacement? The dealer wants $5.5 a fuse (i'll probably blow a couple trying to figure out why the first one blew).

frmdstryr

Replaced the fuse with one from digikey (10 for $12 :p) and checked my ribbon cables. It works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally a fully functional printer/cutter :p. Just need to align it now. Thanks!

mtroup

I managed to short out a cable the other day while working on the printer like an idiot and took the advice here and ordered the fuses from digikey.. replaced the F2 fuse today and I'm back in business.. thanks to this thread!

Just wanted to post that the fix also worked for me.. thank you Signs101!

Ragnabrok

A friend of mine has been a Roland service tech for 6 years, and a at least in my lil' area, i really don't hear of a lot of end users doing major work on their machines... We all just call him =) are the other techs super expensive?

mtroup

A friend of mine has been a Roland service tech for 6 years, and a at least in my lil' area, i really don't hear of a lot of end users doing major work on their machines... We all just call him =) are the other techs super expensive?

I honestly don't even know where the tech in my area is, I would say the closest would be in Little Rock which is two hours.. and I don't have any idea what the rates are.. but I bet they are more than a $1 fuse :)

I don't believe working on your own equipment is for everyone and if a machine is under warranty I wouldn't even think about it.. but it does seem to work for me as most of my equipment was purchased used and I had to re-condition it in the first place to get it to the shape it is in now..

Ragnabrok

I honestly don't even know where the tech in my area is, I would say the closest would be in Little Rock which is two hours.. and I don't have any idea what the rates are.. but I bet they are more than a $1 fuse :)

I don't believe working on your own equipment is for everyone and if a machine is under warranty I wouldn't even think about it.. but it does seem to work for me as most of my equipment was purchased used and I had to re-condition it in the first place to get it to the shape it is in now..

I'm an advocate of DIY if i can as well :) though i've heard the stories from him.. usually involving screwdrivers prying that things they never should. good to know there are still are plenty of knowledgeable people out there!